Piano Forte

Nuprin

Reaction score
It was pointed out recently that I hadn't yet made a sound sample with my Breedlove American Series tenor (solid spruce top, solid sapele back & sides). I had a little time this evening so I recorded Jake Shimabukuro's "Piano Forte." Those finger stretches are absolutely killer which meant really sloppy playing by the time I got this take down.

Last edited:
Sloppy? It sounded really good to me.

Nicely done, Nuprin! :)

I must admit I expected you to be another person. My husband had a good friend who called himself a nuprin... little... yellow... different, like the OTC med calls itself. He was Asian, short, and definitely out there. :p

Don't see no sloppiness anywhere! Good job chris!

Btw, no offence to you and the lovely Breedlove, but to my ears it does sound abit...'Thin'. Is that just the mic?

Great job mate, I know how hard that tune is to play. When I did it I had to play on my concert as the streches where a killer. You made it look easy.

Beautiful Chris. How would you rank your collection now?

The Moore Bettah definitely stands above them all. I've recently tuned my MP to low G so that's getting a good amount of play...I think I would place the Breedlove on the same level as the MP.

Nicely done, Nuprin! :)

I must admit I expected you to be another person. My husband had a good friend who called himself a nuprin... little... yellow... different, like the OTC med calls itself. He was Asian, short, and definitely out there. :p

A friend of mine from college started calling me that. I'm 1/2 Asian and 5'6". Whether or not I'm different...I don't know, I have a strange sense of humor...

Don't see no sloppiness anywhere! Good job chris!

Btw, no offence to you and the lovely Breedlove, but to my ears it does sound abit...'Thin'. Is that just the mic?

After listening to it again, it does sound fuller and richer than it does in person. My roommates were walking loudly upstairs and you could hear the thud of their footsteps on the recording. I put a low cut filter on it to try and filter out their steps...looks like I went a little too far and filtered out some of the uke's low end.

At some point I'll have to make another recording of it...just have to make sure my roommates aren't home when I do so I don't have to deal with their noise.

Edit: It didn't sound nearly as full as it should...I did a real quick remix and got it sounding closer to what it sounds like in reality. I have reposted the video in the first post. If you listen closely you can hear my roommates footsteps upstairs. THUD THUD THUD. Damn they're loud.

Last edited:
Hey Nup! I haven't seen this vid from you....but you did well man! With my small fingers, for sure I won't play this song on a tenor!!!

As for the Breedlove, the sound seems to be a little bit dry. It might be the mic or recording too but, sound doesn't seems to pop out of the uke. I don't find it comparable to your MP.....I think MP ukes have much more ''soul''

Nice playing once again.

Talk to you soon!

Hey Nup! I haven't seen this vid from you....but you did well man! With my small fingers, for sure I won't play this song on a tenor!!!

We all have the short asian finger syndrome!!! String it low G and use the 4th string instead of 3rd string So much easier!!

Beautiful uke and great playing as usual! Thanks for sharing.

Nuprin, I see what you mean by the finger stretches, but I missed the "sloppy". You can strrrreeeeetch, buddy. That was excellent!
I think the uke sounds killer too.
Don

Thanks for your kind words everyone! The "slop" in question is me not fretting the note cleanly causing a little buzz...especially towards the end of the song. It's not too bad but it's noticeable to me. I also couldn't quite play it as fast as Jake's version but I kinda like the slowed down tempo.

Top Bottom