PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Waikiki Ukulele Festival

Capt Roy
07-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Here is a update on my trip to the 2011 Waikiki Ukulele Festival.
We arrived a week before the festival and spent the time touring the factories and really enjoyed the tours.

We toured three ukulele factories Kanile'a, Ko'olau, Kamaka. The tour at Kanile'a took over two hours and I would recommend it to anyone that visits the island.

We also tried to stop at as many music stores as possible. I made it to Hawaii Music Supply and met Aaron who made those excellent instructional youtube videos. A really nice guy.

I bought a Pono 6 string from Ko'olau after the tour as John had a second in the showroom. I had it shipped home and it was waiting when I got home. Love the sound of it and it will make a great rhythm ukulele when playing with a group.

We attended the Festival Gala on Friday evening and listened to two hours of great music.

Saturday there was a practice session at 1000 if you wanted to perform on stage. I decided to go for it and I showed and learned the two songs taught by Roy Sakuma. They were easy and I was ready to go on stage Sunday with the "Strummers".

Sunday we were at the festival grounds at 0630 set up and having breakfast. The Festival started at 0900 and I went on stage at 1220.. That was so great.. I've just been playing for a year and now I'm on stage! Festival ended at 1400 and I am totally inspired to improve my playing.

There were great players from all over the world there: Italy, Korea, Australia, Japan, and many other places.

My only disappointment was that I never did meet up with Uncle Bob.... I looked and looked for him but there were just too many people in the park, thousands of them!

If you ever get a chance to attend...GO!

lkdumas
07-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Not only were you on stage; you were streaming live video worldwide, and I watched you from NoCal. Congrats. I bought a Ko'olau pineapple concert from John last year at the festival. Great uke.

molokinirum
07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Way to go Capt.!!! Nice job!!