PDA

View Full Version : Which Kala?

mandrew
07-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I have been playing my first uke for a while now, a Kala KA-S. It is a very decent starter uke, but I know now that I would probably rather have a concert size, because I like finger picking. Because of the picking, I want an instrument that has better sustain and note definition and articulation than the regular Kala mahogany series. I am looking at the exotic mahogany series, and the mahogany with spruce top (KA-SC). For those who may know, which of these will have the best sustain and articulation in this price range? Please, don't insult me by telling me I need a K brand. I don't have that kind of money! I am looking at under $200 for a concert.

Huna
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Sounds like you are sold on Kalas so why not look at the SMHC? I think the other one you were looking at was not any better because it also is a laminate but the SMHC is solid. The other recommendations might be Ohanas Mainlands etc...

Lori
07-25-2011, 08:28 AM
If you like finger picking, have you tried Worth Clear strings on your current uke? Strings do make a difference. I think a spruce top would help in articulation. Whatever you choose, try out different strings to see what works best for you. I don't have the Exotic Mahogany or the Mahogany/ Spruce Kala, so I can't give you a side by side review. If you can find a uke group or music store nearby, maybe you can play a few in person. Uke Fests are also good opportunities to see and play different ukuleles. You might also consider a Flea with a concert neck, which would just be under the $200 mark. A Flea is always a good addition to your collection because it is a good rough-and-tumble beach/ camping uke.
–Lori

PhilUSAFRet
07-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you are sold on Kalas so why not look at the SMHC? I think the other one you were looking at was not any better because it also is a laminate but the SMHC is solid. The other recommendations might be Ohanas Mainlands etc...

Amen to the SMHC: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/kala-ka-smhc-solid-mahogany-concert

hankisanerd
07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I absolutely love my Travel Concert. A lot of sound that comes out of that thing. I give it 5 stars, etc..

gyosh
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm on Kauai right now and today I wandered into Larry's music with the intent of killing some time and I walked out with a Komoa solid mahogany tenor for less than I paid for my Kala KA-ST. I love the contrast between the warm tone of the Kamoa, compared to the "bright" sound of the Kala. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow to pick up the pineapple too!