Which Kala?

mandrew

Reaction score
I have been playing my first uke for a while now, a Kala KA-S. It is a very decent starter uke, but I know now that I would probably rather have a concert size, because I like finger picking. Because of the picking, I want an instrument that has better sustain and note definition and articulation than the regular Kala mahogany series. I am looking at the exotic mahogany series, and the mahogany with spruce top (KA-SC). For those who may know, which of these will have the best sustain and articulation in this price range? Please, don't insult me by telling me I need a K brand. I don't have that kind of money! I am looking at under $200 for a concert.

solid?

Sounds like you are sold on Kalas so why not look at the SMHC? I think the other one you were looking at was not any better because it also is a laminate but the SMHC is solid. The other recommendations might be Ohanas Mainlands etc...

If you like finger picking, have you tried Worth Clear strings on your current uke? Strings do make a difference. I think a spruce top would help in articulation. Whatever you choose, try out different strings to see what works best for you. I don't have the Exotic Mahogany or the Mahogany/ Spruce Kala, so I can't give you a side by side review. If you can find a uke group or music store nearby, maybe you can play a few in person. Uke Fests are also good opportunities to see and play different ukuleles. You might also consider a Flea with a concert neck, which would just be under the $200 mark. A Flea is always a good addition to your collection because it is a good rough-and-tumble beach/ camping uke.
–Lori

I absolutely love my Travel Concert. A lot of sound that comes out of that thing. I give it 5 stars, etc..

I'm on Kauai right now and today I wandered into Larry's music with the intent of killing some time and I walked out with a Komoa solid mahogany tenor for less than I paid for my Kala KA-ST. I love the contrast between the warm tone of the Kamoa, compared to the "bright" sound of the Kala. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow to pick up the pineapple too!

Top Bottom