Blue Frog Soprano #15 Built By UU Member VicD

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
This post should possibly go in the "Ukulele Review" section so I apologize if it is in the wrong area.

I went over to Bellevue, Kentucky yesterday and met fellow UU member VicD, a local luthier who is building some real nice looking, sounding, and playing ukuleles. I had a very pleasant visit with him and was able to pick up his #15 soprano while I was there. His #15 is the first to have his "Frog" hand (?) inlay on the headstock. It is inlaid with turquoise and mother-of-pearl. The instrument back, sides, and neck are all poplar. The top is sitka spruce. The bindings, fingerboard, heel plate, and headstock overlay are walnut. The nut and saddle are each a marbled blue and white corian. It is fitted with friction tuners.

The quality of workmanship is evident in this instrument. There is no excess glue to be seen, inside or out. All of the joints are nice and tight, well fitted to one another. The finish is beautiful and has a silky feel to it making playability a breeze. The inlay work is impeccable. Intonation and setup are each right on, there are no buzzes or issues of any kind.

The ukulele has a very pleasing voice, not overly loud but certainly loud enough to be heard in a group. It responds very well playing hard or softly. There are no playability issues. The instrument has a noticeable sustain.

I have uploaded a sound sample/video of this ukulele which can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhee

I highly recommend that anyone who is in the market for a nice, high-end quality ukulele at a reasonable cost contact VicD and see what he can build for you. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I will not hesitate to buy another ukulele from Vic, especially if he builds that maple bodied one we talked about...Hee! Hee! Hee!

Thanks again Vic...!!!

Attachments

• 100_3213.jpg
    100_3213.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_3215.jpg
    100_3215.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_3221.jpg
    100_3221.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_3217.jpg
    100_3217.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_3223.jpg
    100_3223.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 77
That uke has a nice sound to it. I like the sustain. Looks like you got a keeper there!

I have Vic's ambrosia maple and spruce soprano. It is currently out of commission, but I do love it: good intonation, loud and chirpy tone, beautiful workmanship. I need to get my butt in gear and get it fixed, damn it.

What's wrong with it Kem?

The bridge popped off (not Vic's fault; I blame the sudden change from bone-dry winter air to sodden summer air, which happens ever year in Toronto). Vic's offered to fix it, but I keep procrastinating on mailing it to him.

That's a pretty simple repair. The only special tool needed is a clamp with jaws long enough to reach the bridge through the soundhole. There ought to be someone in Toronto who can repair it at a low cost.

WhenDogsSing: I was considering trying that. The one problem is that when the bridge popped off, the saddle went flying violently across the room...and vanished. I kid you not. To this day, I have not been able to find it. Vic's saddles are quite distinctive, and any replacement from a luthier would probably be a different colour. My aesthetic sensibilities rebel. However, perhaps I'll initiate another Great Saddle Hunt and see if I can find the damn thing. I mean, I live in an apartment the size of my head. Where could it possibly have gone?

WhenDogsSing: I was considering trying that. The one problem is that when the bridge popped off, the saddle went flying violently across the room...and vanished. I kid you not. To this day, I have not been able to find it. Vic's saddles are quite distinctive, and any replacement from a luthier would probably be a different colour. My aesthetic sensibilities rebel. However, perhaps I'll initiate another Great Saddle Hunt and see if I can find the damn thing. I mean, I live in an apartment the size of my head. Where could it possibly have gone?

I think I saw it fly over Ohio a while back...Hee! Hee! Hee!

Listened to the clip. This is one sweet soprano.

Seriously...I wouldn't be surprised. The noise the bridge made as it popped off was something like, "FWWWINNNNNG!"

Aloha WhendogsSing,
Congratulations on your new ukulele..it sounds awesome and so does your playing..Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

This post should possibly go in the "Ukulele Review" section so I apologize if it is in the wrong area.

I went over to Bellevue, Kentucky yesterday and met fellow UU member VicD, a local luthier who is building some real nice looking, sounding, and playing ukuleles. I had a very pleasant visit with him and was able to pick up his #15 soprano while I was there. His #15 is the first to have his "Frog" hand (?) inlay on the headstock. It is inlaid with turquoise and mother-of-pearl. The instrument back, sides, and neck are all poplar. The top is sitka spruce. The bindings, fingerboard, heel plate, and headstock overlay are walnut. The nut and saddle are each a marbled blue and white corian. It is fitted with friction tuners.

The quality of workmanship is evident in this instrument. There is no excess glue to be seen, inside or out. All of the joints are nice and tight, well fitted to one another. The finish is beautiful and has a silky feel to it making playability a breeze. The inlay work is impeccable. Intonation and setup are each right on, there are no buzzes or issues of any kind.

The ukulele has a very pleasing voice, not overly loud but certainly loud enough to be heard in a group. It responds very well playing hard or softly. There are no playability issues. The instrument has a noticeable sustain.

I have uploaded a sound sample/video of this ukulele which can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhee

I highly recommend that anyone who is in the market for a nice, high-end quality ukulele at a reasonable cost contact VicD and see what he can build for you. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

I will not hesitate to buy another ukulele from Vic, especially if he builds that maple bodied one we talked about...Hee! Hee! Hee!

Thanks again Vic...!!!

Tim, that Blue Frog uke is very sweet sounding, as well as beautiful. You play it perfectly!

Vic, Nice work!

From the video, I could tell Harley liked it too.:D

Last edited:
Awesome review Tim. Very lovely playing and the uke is really pretty mate. Great buy. Vic's ukes always look beautiful. :)

I found it! I found the missing saddle! It was behind my CD player.

I measured, and when the bridge came off, the saddle flew seven feet across the room. That's some nice string tension right there.

Now...to find a Toronto luthier who will condescend to work on ukuleles...

I found it! I found the missing saddle! It was behind my CD player.

I measured, and when the bridge came off, the saddle flew seven feet across the room. That's some nice string tension right there.

Now...to find a Toronto luthier who will condescend to work on ukuleles...

That's great news Kem. The repair is a simple one so you shouldn't have to pay much.

Tim, the wife and I watched that video about ten times hahaha... Thank you so much and it was great meeting you!

You found the saddle Kem? Bummer, now I can't hold this new one ransom until you send me that uke... but send it to me anyway.

Tim, that Blue Frog uke is very sweet sounding, as well as beautiful. You play it perfectly!

Vic, Nice work!

From the video, I could tell Harley liked it too.:D

Thank you so much! Yes Harley started in just as that blues lick kicked in just like he was on cue! Hilarious! Tim, thanks so much again... you've brought some much needed smiles for me and the misses. You really play beautifully.

Oh, Just one thing, I always use rosewood for bridge and bridge patch. :) It's Honduran rosewood, kinda pinkish and not as dark as other rosewoods but I love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom