Oil vs Lacquer

resoman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a finish on my first two scratch builds and want to know what the general feeling is of oil vs lacquer. How much does one or the other effect the tone of the instruments? I had heard that oil can have a tendency to dampen the tone if too much is applied. Also, how much do pore fillers effect tone?? This has probably been discussed to death but as a rookie I'd like to know. Couldn't find any info in the search.
Thanks, terry

It's a personal preference I think. I've always heard that a thin oil or french polish finish allows for better sound but I just love a lacquer finish... especially the neck, I just have to have a lacquered neck. I use waterbase lacquer and it has the same slick feel as nitro on the neck. Dunno how much pore fillers effect tone, I can't imagine they'd effect it much if at all but I'm still wet behind the ears so hopefully someone else will chime in.

The best way to answer your questions is to finish one of your ukes in oil and the other grain filled with lacquer. I also agree with Liam, the finish should be the least of your worries.

Nonsense! The type of finish and how it's applied has plenty to do with how the instrument sounds.
For what I'm trying to achieve for my instruments (which may not be the same as yours), I want a finish that is as hard and as thin as is practical. I also want it to wear well and make it easy to repair. The home builder also needs to take into account what kind of equipment is available to him and what impact it has on the environment and how you feel about that.
But from simply a tonal perspective, I can say from my experience that the type of finish matters. Shoots, I can even tell a difference amongst different brands of nitro cellulose. True, it may be a minor consideration but the finish should be considered none the less.
For further reading check out Jeff Hewitt to start.

Last edited:
Nonsense! The type of finish and how it's applied has plenty to do with how the instrument sounds.
For what I'm trying to achieve for my instruments (which may not be the same as yours), I want a finish that is as hard and as thin as is practical. I also want it to wear well and make it easy to repair. The home builder also needs to take into account what kind of equipment is available to him and what impact it has on the environment and how you feel about that.
But from simply a tonal perspective, I can say from my experience that the type of finish matters. Shoots, I can even tell a difference amongst different brands of nitro cellulose. True, it may be a minor consideration but the finish should be considered none the less.
For further reading check out Jeff Hewitt to start.

Jeff Jewitt? He is really great if that is the guy you are talking about. Writes for FineWoodworking mag and has a couple of great finishing books. Has a new out on spray finishes. His recipe for duplicating old craftsman style furniture finish is spot on. His website is http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

As far as the original question. I like thin finishes but the laquer really pops the wood grain better most of the time and on softer tops like Cedar and spruce provide a lot more protection than oil. (Don't ask how I know...)

Oil is easy, the only equipment required is a few cotton rags. If done right, there is no sanding or buffing at all.

You can find oil options that are 100% natural and nontoxic to you or the environment. (Tung oil thinned with orange oil)

It is easy to get a thin finish with oil, harder to make it real thick. I really like an open pore oil finish, where the wood still looks like wood.

Oil needs to be maintained, especially if the instrument lives in a hot environment where the player sweats on it alot.

Oil does not get really hard. This is good and bad. You will never have checking of the finish. But it is much easier to scratch the wood than it is with a harder finish. And easier to repair when you do.

My opinion is that oil doent restrict the vibrations of the wood as much as other finishes. Others will disagree.

I know a lot of people dont really care for oil finishes, but I really like them. With that said, it is the only finish I have ever used, so cant compare directly to others. But as of now I dont feel the need to do any other fininsh.

Take care,
Thomas

In the search for tone, the last place I'd look would be the finish.

My point was more to illustrate that on someone's first couple of builds that there are dozens of variables at play, many of which can be minimally tweaked to give significant changes in volume, sustain, timbre etc. Getting each of these variables "right" should start at the beginning of construction. Top/back thickness, bridgeplate size/thickness/weight, brace size/weight/profile etc.

Getting the combinations right in the general design and build might be a better way to go than to try to tweak things (using the finish) after the instrument is fully constructed.

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate the input!! I've done one partial build (stew-mac kit) and I finished that with french polish. It didn't come out too bad and I finally got the hang of it about 3/4 of the way through. I built some mandolins, Strat and LP copies in the past (30 years ago) and used lacquer but I hated messing with it. That water base lacquer has possibilities to me but I really like the "earthier" look of oils and such. I'm getting close and will have to decide.
Liam, I understand exactly what you are saying and appreciate your candor. I've done all I can do with these two to get the best I can out of them. Of course I'm relying on information from others, Hana Lima's book and logic (such as it is) to find my way. I also stumbled onto this website http://www.ukuleles.com/HouseKeeping/sitemap.html
and it has been a lot of help. I've been documenting all I have done and am learning from my mistakes so hopefully the next ones will come out better. There are so many variables and possibilities it's almost overwhelming!
terry

Top Bottom