The Great Ukulele Instrumental Challenge (Part the Second) RESULTS!

austin1

Reaction score
It started here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...!&highlight=great+instrumental+song+challenge

And then we decided on Starry Starry Night by Don McLean here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...!&highlight=great+instrumental+song+challenge

And now the results go here!

Our month-long instrumental-learning is just about up, so if you participated, start uploading your videos/audio tracks to the internet and post the results here, for all to see. Looking forward to what we can up with!

Participants:

Inn Sea: http://www.dreamingtreemusic.com/ccdownloads/misc/vincent_uke.mp3
Austin1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwF-yeAFGJM

Last edited:
I decided to do it in G after all. Sorry it's just an audio file, not a video.

Vincent

Vincent

WOW Inn Sea, your piece reminded me SO much of Chet Atkins version of Vincent on guitar, and you had TWO less
strings to work with! Nice Job!!! (Standard Tuning?, and any chance you have this tab worked up?)

For those of you who may not have heard Chet's guitar version of his beautiful tune, here it is twice.

I learned this piece a few years ago on guitar, but may try to work on it on ukulele.

The 1st one is just an audio file and the version on a nylon strung classical electric from his CD. It's a bit cleaner in overall sound, being recorded in studio.

R.I.P. Chet

Here's Chet on video playing it on nylon string electric guitar:

NOW,...for the next video challenge might i suggest another tune that would present a challenge:

Last edited:

Vincent

Simply beautiful. I don't know how else to say it, but your playing feels like a gift. Thanks.

WOW Inn Sea, your piece reminded me SO much of Chet Atkins version of Vincent on guitar, and you had TWO less
strings to work with! Nice Job!!! (Standard Tuning?, and any chance you have this tab worked up?)

Thanks joe. I love the Chet Atkins version - in the original Challenge thread I posted that I was going to imitate some of his voicings, particularly his use of thirds and sixths to harmonize the melody. I started working out a C major version (essentially Chet's version on guitar, with a capo at the 5th fret). But it didn't really work without those open-tuning bass strings (DGDGBE). So I abandoned C and went to G. I'm also trying to get into the ukulele more so I keep telling myself to stop thinking of it like a guitar.

I don't have tab, though I could probably tab what I played. I'm using regular uke tuning, low G. The meter is a little unusual at points, which would be hard to convey. Also, some of the little riffs at the ends of lines haven't been finalized - i.e., there was something unique that I wanted to do but I just didn't do it in this take. If I keep working on it, then I'll be able to do the extra stuff consistently, like harmonics, slides, vibrato, maybe some more Chet-like counterpoint, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone else for the nice comments. I had forgotten how lovely this song is, so thanks to Tina for suggesting it (and all the voters for picking it).

Okay, here's my version. Not nearly as wonderfully awesome as Patrick's but I enjoyed doing it just the same. With a guest appearance by my au pair child, who decided to bang down the door in the middle of a take.

Thanks joe. I love the Chet Atkins version - in the original Challenge thread I posted that I was going to imitate some of his voicings, particularly his use of thirds and sixths to harmonize the melody. I started working out a C major version (essentially Chet's version on guitar, with a capo at the 5th fret). But it didn't really work without those open-tuning bass strings (DGDGBE). So I abandoned C and went to G. I'm also trying to get into the ukulele more so I keep telling myself to stop thinking of it like a guitar.

I don't have tab, though I could probably tab what I played. I'm using regular uke tuning, low G. The meter is a little unusual at points, which would be hard to convey. Also, some of the little riffs at the ends of lines haven't been finalized - i.e., there was something unique that I wanted to do but I just didn't do it in this take. If I keep working on it, then I'll be able to do the extra stuff consistently, like harmonics, slides, vibrato, maybe some more Chet-like counterpoint, etc.

Hi,...that's good to know you got so much of the "feel" of that piece
with regular low G tuning. Most folks are more apt to try to learn a uke
piece, i think, if they don't have to retune just for one arrangement.

"If" you keep working on it???? Man,....that's a no-brainer in my opinion. You HAVE to!!!!
Chet is smiling now, a whole lot of ukulele players as well.....

.....and, ummmm,.....while you're continuing to fine tune it,......just jot down the tab and pass it along! :drool:

By the way,....i've got to go back and get into playing the guitar version again. It's been awhile and i know it's
going to be a bit rough for awhile. But i had it down pretty good about a year ago.

cheers,
Joe T

Last edited:
Bravo Tina!

Wow Inn Sea, it is so beautiful, you're playing...wow, just gorgeous!

Okay, here's my version. Not nearly as wonderfully awesome as Patrick's but I enjoyed doing it just the same. With a guest appearance by my au pair child, who decided to bang down the door in the middle of a take.

This one is great too! One day when I understand tabs more I will take part in this challenge, so keep doing them, okay?

Love both of the result pieces so far! And such a beautiful song too!

Joey :music:

Here's the beginning of the tab for my version. It's not exactly what I played on the take I submitted, but it's closer to what I'd like to play from now on. Again, this is for Low G tuning. I roll most of my chords (and probably shouldn't), and I try hard to bring out the melody. I'll try to add more when I have time.

Code:
|------------0--2---------2-----------------
|-----0--3------3-------3-------3-------3---
|-2-------------2-----2-----0h2---2---2---2-
|---------------0-------------------4-------
  Starry starry night

|-2-----0------------0----2----------------0---------
|-3----------3-p0----0--------0----------0-------0---
|-2------------------0-------------0---0-------0---0-
|-0------------------2---------------4-------2-------
  Paint your palette blue and gray

|-2----0--------0-h2-----------------
|-0--------3--0-0--------0---------0-
|-0-------------0------------0---0---
|-2-------------5--------------0-----
  Look out on a summer’s day

II
|-------------------------------------0--2--------
|-3----3----2-----------------2----3-----3------3-
|------2---------4----2---4--------------2----2---
|------2------------------2--------------0--------
  With eyes that know the darkness in my soul

|------------0---2---------2-----------------
|-----0---3------3-------3-------3-------3---
|-2--------------2-----2-----0h2---2---2---2-
|----------------0-------------------4-------
  Shadows on the hills

|-2------0-----------------0-h2--------------0---------
|-3----------3—----0---0---0----0----------0-------0---
|-2------------------------0---------0---0-------0---0-
|-0------------------------2-----------4-------2-------
  Sketch the trees and the daffodils

|-2-----0------------------0-h2------------------
|-0---------3------0---0---0------0------------0-
|-0------------------------0-------------0---0---
|-2------------------------5---------------0-----
  Catch the breeze and the winter chills

II
|---------------------------0---------2-------------
|-3--3-p2--------------2-3-----3----------0h2p0---3-
|----2------4--2---4----------------2---2-0h2p0-2-2-
|----2-------------2-----------0----------0-------4-
  In colors on the snowy linen land

Nice work! I like those little fills up the neck. Thanks again for organizing this. Next time you're in town we'll have to jam on Yesterday, Vincent and maybe some other weepy ballads.

Very impressive playing on both submissions. I've never done that kind of playing from tab. Thanks for doing this challenge.
What's next? I may have to give it a try.
Don

Tina, enjoyed yours as well, just wish I could have heard it a little better. Maybe put the mic a little closer. Thanks.

Thanks for the "teaser",...lol I'll keep an eye out for the rest.....

cheers,
Joe T

Here's the beginning of the tab for my version. It's not exactly what I played on the take I submitted, but it's closer to what I'd like to play from now on. Again, this is for Low G tuning. I roll most of my chords (and probably shouldn't), and I try hard to bring out the melody. I'll try to add more when I have time.

Code:
|------------0--2---------2-----------------
|-----0--3------3-------3-------3-------3---
|-2-------------2-----2-----0h2---2---2---2-
|---------------0-------------------4-------
  Starry starry night

|-2-----0------------0----2----------------0---------
|-3----------3-p0----0--------0----------0-------0---
|-2------------------0-------------0---0-------0---0-
|-0------------------2---------------4-------2-------
  Paint your palette blue and gray

|-2----0--------0-h2-----------------