PDA

View Full Version : Hurting Finger Tips - Not What You Think

BBQUKER
07-26-2011, 02:48 AM
My fingers have calluses on top of calluses, but lately the index and ring finger must have some nerve that worked it's way to the tip. Ouch, does it hurt when pressing the strings. Anyone experience this? May have to put the ukes away for awhile.

Dan

phil hague
07-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Just keep going and it will go away. I used to have pain from the back of my hand along the fingers, possibly from straining my tendons doing unfamiliar chord shapes but it went away after several months. Try short practice sessions a couple of times a day, but dont give up. Remember it is supposed to be fun.

PoiDog
07-26-2011, 04:21 AM
It may be tendonitis caused by gripping/fretting too hard, or just through repetetive motion. Does it hurt if you try other things as well, or only when playing?

The best thing to do in this case is listen to your body. If it keeps giving you pain absolutely don't keep doing it. Give yourself time to rest and heal. An anti-inflammatory (like aspirin) is very helpful in easing the ache - especially if it is tendonitis.

When you do start playing again, be gentle and don't force yourself past the point where it starts to hurt -- even if this is just some minor irritation. Pain is a pretty good signal that something needs a bit of time.

PhilUSAFRet
07-26-2011, 05:40 AM
It may be tendonitis caused by gripping/fretting too hard, or just through repetetive motion. Does it hurt if you try other things as well, or only when playing?

The best thing to do in this case is listen to your body. If it keeps giving you pain absolutely don't keep doing it. Give yourself time to rest and heal. An anti-inflammatory (like aspirin) is very helpful in easing the ache - especially if it is tendonitis.

When you do start playing again, be gentle and don't force yourself past the point where it starts to hurt -- even if this is just some minor irritation. Pain is a pretty good signal that something needs a bit of time.

Amen!!!!! Maybe some stretching warm ups after it heals a while before playing.

ukeeku
07-26-2011, 05:47 AM
keep in mind this is my experience.
When I first started playing guitar I had the same issue. Thankfully my brother had been playing for a long time and told me to file my calluses down. when I did, I found that I had formed a ridge under the ones that hurt, and by filing it down I was able to smooth the ridge out and play pain free again when the callus built back up.
hope that helps.

roxhum
07-26-2011, 05:52 AM
keep in mind this is my experience.
When I first started playing guitar I had the same issue. Thankfully my brother had been playing for a long time and told me to file my calluses down. when I did, I found that I had formed a ridge under the ones that hurt, and by filing it down I was able to smooth the ridge out and play pain free again when the callus built back up.
hope that helps.

Wow! That helped me because I have that problem on just one of my fingers and I just looked and yes indeed I have a ridge there. Thanks!

BBQUKER
07-26-2011, 06:46 AM
I have filed the calluses before. Time to do again. The pain is like a pin prick in a very isolated part of the finger tips. And yes, it hurts too when I am typing this. Thanks for the replies.

Dan

bsichina@cebridge.net
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I have had trouble with my hands, wrists and fingers. The doctor told me to take vitamin B-6. 100mg. Twice a Day. It has really helped. I no longer have pain at all. It took about 60 to 90 days to get this worked into my system. One day I was just sitting and wham, I said hey I'm not having pain in my hands anymore. So it worked for me.

Nickie
07-26-2011, 08:57 AM
I have had trouble with my hands, wrists and fingers. The doctor told me to take vitamin B-6. 100mg. Twice a Day. It has really helped. I no longer have pain at all. It took about 60 to 90 days to get this worked into my system. One day I was just sitting and wham, I said hey I'm not having pain in my hands anymore. So it worked for me.

This is the key: Consult your Doctor. Anytime you experience chronic pain do so. Maybe he or she can help.I lost my callouses because of an injury that kept me from playing, then Annie got so sick and passed away, then I moved, and I am just starting to play again, so I gotta make new callouses all over again!

mm stan
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I have experienced that before..but it didn't last long...I think i rested for a few days.. hope it helps..yeah real sensitive at the finger tips when pressed...

wolfybau
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM

that is interesting Ive not heard of doing this before.
I have terrible fibromyalgia pain, hands , arms, neck back- everywhere, and nothign the docs have tryed has help. Im going to give this a try. thanks for posting.