Another Stupid String Question

deadpool

Reaction score
I have had my Kala KA-C for about a month now. I has Aquila Nylgut strings on it - those are what it came with. I am happy with the tone while strumming, but when picked the tone is sort of "muddy" for lack of a better term. Curious as to whether Worth Clears may have better definition and whether others have had the same experiences with this model or not.

Thanks!

Well, I'm a rookie like you, Mike, but I don't notice that problem with my Acquilas. Do you get a buzz when you pic?

I have had my Kala KA-C for about a month now. I has Aquila Nylgut strings on it - those are what it came with. I am happy with the tone while strumming, but when picked the tone is sort of "muddy" for lack of a better term. Curious as to whether Worth Clears may have better definition and whether others have had the same experiences with this model or not.

Thanks!

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Wait, that isn't right. Anyway, I think I know what you're talking about. The C string on my Luna sounds pretty thuddy/muddy as well, and it came with Aquilas. Swapping out the strings to the Ko'olau Alohis helped a bit, but the thud was still there. It wasn't until I had a pro look at it that I learned it was a problem with the soundboard and how the C frequency resonated on it. Adjusting how and where I held it helped bring out more clarity on the string.

Maybe your Kala has a similar problem?

Yeah you usually don't hear that about Aquilas. Many don't like the feel but the sound is usually clear.

Thanks!
I had this exact same issue when I started to finger pick. Changed my tenor to Fremont Blacklines, my baritone to Southcoast linears, and my sit at the computer and play uke, and Ohana Vita has Worth Clears. Out of all of them, which I pick on daily, I would say as far as defined (single note and tone) and clear sound goes, they go in this order:
Southcoast- would put them all of my ukes, but I want them all tuned the same
Blacklines- great, stiff and really clear as a bell
Worths- I like the sound, but I play hard (recovering punk rocker) and the ones I have (which are medium tensions) are floppy. I ordered hards to see what I could get with them.

Ukes I strum still have Aquila's because I think the Flouro- strings are quieter... could just be what I have them in. That and I really like how "round" the Aquila's sound when strummed (some call this "boomy" I believe). The flouro's tend to register more on the treble side and the bass is lacking. Hope that makes some sense.
Since it is a concert - I would get the Worths and the Blacklines and compare them for yourselves. The right strings are a cheap upgrade. If you want to be done messing about, get the Southcoast High Re-entrant medium gauge set, which is tuned to "C" on the 15" scale with normal tension, and be done with it (I am a shameless fan boy of these strings). They will squeak for a few days, but that goes away quickly.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Wait, that isn't right. Anyway, I think I know what you're talking about. The C string on my Luna sounds pretty thuddy/muddy as well, and it came with Aquilas. Swapping out the strings to the Ko'olau Alohis helped a bit, but the thud was still there. It wasn't until I had a pro look at it that I learned it was a problem with the soundboard and how the C frequency resonated on it. Adjusting how and where I held it helped bring out more clarity on the string.

Maybe your Kala has a similar problem?

is this why some people use a wound C string?

Well, I picked on it again last night and felt it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think I was comparing it to the Kelii which is all solid wood and also a soprano-so totally different. That coupled with not having nails (never will-the caluses I have from finger picking a steel string guitar will have to suffice) may play into the sort of quiet undefined sound too. Over all I am happy with it, I am just looking for more clarity from the strings. It isn't a one string issue, but is related to all of them. The songs I am working on all require fret changes with every note played and less than clean left hand fingering may be an issue too. I appreciate the ideas and will probably give some different strings a go just to see. My Kelii has Aquilas on it and it is clear and well defined, so............................

Hey guys, I think I might have a string issue with my Kala as well, though it is a KA-S model. I've been reading on here for a few weeks and after reading the threads on beginner uke's, I decided to take the plunge on the KA-S. I bought the kit w/tuner from Amazon and was happy to receive my new uke today, but am quite disappointed by the sound -- it doesn't anything like the youtube video reviews I've seen on it, and it sounds worse than some of the toys ukes I played around with at the local flea market. Not what I was expecting at all :(

I think I've managed to tune it properly using the digital tuner (on Ukelele C mode) but the strings sound plastikly and I can hear the nail from my index finger louder than the sound from the strings. Not to mention that he uke doesn't have the sweet/soft sound I was expecting of a uke -- this thing has a much deeper tone and in fact, it sounds much more like a guitar! I can't believe it. Is this normal?? A few reviews on Amazon talked about some lemons - did I get one??

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread, but I also don't want to create a new one as well given the similarity to the OP's question/comments.

Eddy,

As the OP no problems on the "highjack". My KA-C sounds great strummed. It is only on the picking that it isn't great on. Some of your issues could be set up. Even though mine was set up by a reputable dealer, I felt the action was too high so I sanded the saddle way down (it was to my liking at the nut). Just doing that made a huge difference in the sound and volume (when strumming). I don't have nails, but suspect if I did, the picking sound would be good too-I have used a mandolin pick on the individual strings and got a much better sound than the callus picking I do with my fingers so...................... Yours may not have been properly set up - that can cause inumerable issues. You can check the action and see if it is too high and have a go at it your self or take it to a reputable repair place and have them do it. I believe there are some links on here about set ups - you may want to do a search on that. The line on here is that the Aquila Nylguts are good on laminates such as the KA-S. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Hey guys, I think I might have a string issue with my Kala as well, though it is a KA-S model. I've been reading on here for a few weeks and after reading the threads on beginner uke's, I decided to take the plunge on the KA-S. I bought the kit w/tuner from Amazon and was happy to receive my new uke today, but am quite disappointed by the sound -- it doesn't anything like the youtube video reviews I've seen on it, and it sounds worse than some of the toys ukes I played around with at the local flea market. Not what I was expecting at all :(

I think I've managed to tune it properly using the digital tuner (on Ukelele C mode) but the strings sound plastikly and I can hear the nail from my index finger louder than the sound from the strings. Not to mention that he uke doesn't have the sweet/soft sound I was expecting of a uke -- this thing has a much deeper tone and in fact, it sounds much more like a guitar! I can't believe it. Is this normal?? A few reviews on Amazon talked about some lemons - did I get one??

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread, but I also don't want to create a new one as well given the similarity to the OP's question/comments.
When strings are new they stretch a lot and go out of tune fast during the first weeks depending how often you play. Also I noticed (newbie my self and only 8 months) the better I get at strumming and picking the better my KA-S sounds. Good luck and keep on pcikin':)

Top Bottom