The perfect ukulele for bluegrass

MrChristopherA

Reaction score
What specs should a uke have for playing bluegrass?

Right now, I have a tenor koa uke with D'addario strings. Great for picking especially, in my opinion. But I'm getting more and more into bluegrass and I'm wondering how an ukulele's construction would best suit this genre.

I'm pretty sure this has everything I'm looking for...
James Hill Signature Model (JH-SM1)

But before I jump to something that advanced (or expensive), I'd like to know what wood is good for a bluegrass tone? What strings are preferred? Radiused fretboard is good, I assume? And any other information would be helpful. Thank you!

I've read that a maple instrument with a medium action is great for bluegrass and finger picking. The one in your link looks perfect. If you're looking for a custom uke, you've definitely come to the right place. :)

I'd say something like a Banjolele Deluxe and a set of finger picks!

I don't believe the "G Strings" are available any longer.
Definitely a Maple body will help cut through the Bluegrass Jam.
You might consider a resonator as they are very loud as well.

How about a resonator uke? That would have the tone to cut through the guitar and banjo

I would go with a maple body, tobacco sunburst, arch top tenor, but I am biased because I build them. They are much louder than a flattop, right there with a resonator, and you can chop chords with the mandolin. It would also look right in place with the band.

Brad

Check out Brad's Ukes.

I would also be biased in favor of one of Tom Guy's Bluegrass Ukes. One just sold in the Marketplace. These ukes sound like no other and are priced well. Has great sound samples on website. http://www.bluegrassukes.com/

Again, my bias, but for bluegrass music, check out the spruce topped maple models.
I'd probably also have a MiSi installed.

Last edited:
Check out Brad's Ukes.

I would also be biased in favor of one of Tom Guy's Bluegrass Ukes. One just sold in the Marketplace. These ukes sound like no other and are priced well. Has great sound samples on website. http://www.bluegrassukes.com/

Again, my bias, but for bluegrass music, check out the spruce topped maple models.
I'd probably also have a MiSi installed.

Wow, those are some mighty fine insturments at that website.
I'll definitely keep Tom Guy's Bluegrass Ukes in mind when I decide to buy a new uke.

I would not recommend a radius fretboard. On a neck as small as a ukes, I think the radius neck works against barring chords.

Maple sounds like a great idea!

In case anyone is interested in hearing ukes in a bluegrass jam setting, here is a sound file of Wagon Wheel recorded at our campsite at the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival in Oak Hill, NY earlier this month. Two ukuleles are being played: a Kanile'a tenor strung low G played by my daughter Melanie, who also sings harmony, and one of mine, a Zukulele, strung high G played by Monica Rizzio of the uke-centric band Tripping Lily. I'm playing mandolin.

In case anyone is interested in hearing ukes in a bluegrass jam setting, here is a sound file of Wagon Wheel recorded at our campsite at the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival in Oak Hill, NY earlier this month. Two ukuleles are being played: a Kanile'a tenor strung low G played by my daughter Melanie, who also sings harmony, and one of mine, a Zukulele, strung high G played by Monica Rizzio of the uke-centric band Tripping Lily. I'm playing mandolin.
That was really great. Good to hear the uke being used in that setting. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for your help! And, mzuch, that was great! I wish I could have been there to see that live!

Alright, I may officially be in the market soon for a new uke. I'm gonna be looking around to find out what private luthiers have to offer before looking at a big company's ukes, depending on what I want. Right now, I'm thinking of either a maple, mahogany, or koa ukulele. So, basically, I'm very far from pinpointing what I want at the moment, haha.

Lanikai Banjo uke. Its almost a loud as a regular banjo. In bluegrass volume is king!

Great job, enjoyed these.

I agree Phil. Great thread for sure. I love bluegrass music too!

I would recommend looking at what kind of uke's Aaron keim uses. He plays awesome bluegrass uke.

I'm actually ordering a uke for build next January for this kind of playing specifically. It's a qulited maple resonator.

Top Bottom