Oscar Schmidt OU2T Tenor v Kala KA-EM T as a first Uke. your views

Inquiring minds want to know: Hearts or Hibbees?

Here is my personal opinion on both of them:

Oscar Schmidt: Their laminates have a tendency to sound a bit muffled compared to the Kala models which seem to resonate a lot more. From a finish point of view, they look and feel very high end.
Kala: They have a good sound, but I personally do not like the feel of them and their enlarged bottom body shape. That is a purely estetic comment however.

For me the bottom line is: If you are shallow like me and looks are important, the OS will appeal to you more. If sound is all that matters, and you plan to play with other people, Kala is much louder.

If I had to go back, knowing what I know now. I would get the Kala.

I would have to vote for the Kala as well, at least for a first uke. I own a couple of Oscars, an OU-2P and an OU-2E and like them both (especially the pineapple) but they are both kind of heavy, the 2E weighs a ton! and is pretty muted sounding unless it's plugged in. The pineapple was a very pleasant surprise though and I love having a concert sized pineapple.

Personally, I would also go Kala.

Whichever one would motivate him to want more ukes! :drool:

I bought him the kala, ordered it yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the input. However i did treat myself to the Oscar Schmidt OU2 (concert) as that was on a special offer. Also bought some aquila strings which I intend to put on it when it arrives. It's my understanding the kala already has them on but the ou2 has ghs.

cheers

You basically picked both, good choice!:D

I bought him the kala, ordered it yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the input. However i did treat myself to the Oscar Schmidt OU2 (concert) as that was on a special offer. Also bought some aquila strings which I intend to put on it when it arrives. It's my understanding the kala already has them on but the ou2 has ghs.

cheers
The Aquilas will definately help your OU-2, my 2E had GHS on it when I got and it was nearly unplayable! Granted I bought it used and the strings were old and not installed properly, but the Aquilas really woke it up.
As Austinlee said good choice getting both!

Top Bottom