Eddie Kamae baritone ID?

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
Aloha all. Wondering if anyone can tell me what Eddie Kamae plays? That lovely 2-hole slotted-headstock baritone as seen here:

Eddie Kamae.jpg

I am guessing this was built for him the '70s...mahalo for any input.

EDIT: oh, and is anyone building anything like this? Can't think why I didn't ask that the first time around. :)

Last edited:
Oh, and still wondering about the second part of my question - are there similar instruments being made now?

@hmgberg - gonna end up buying all his books and DVDs eventually I expect. This man is a living treasure and has gathered so much knowledge from the elders. Amazing stuff!

I got to see Eddie Kamae play that ukulele at the Hawaii Book and Music festival last May. What a treat! He signed my ukulele too.

Lucky guy! :) The Sons are my favorite band of all time. Gabby is pretty much my hero on voice and slack key, Feet Rogers on steel, and Eddie on 'ukulele. So anything I can learn is like ambrosia to me.

I see Tangi made 2-puka instruments, but they have stopped production. Research continues...

Steve Grimes?

If you don't need the puka's in the upper bout, you need to hang out in the Luthier's Lounge more, where Chuck and Eric dwell (both of whom have done double holes, but with one on top, and one on the side).

Aaron

Lucky guy! :) The Sons are my favorite band of all time. Gabby is pretty much my hero on voice and slack key, Feet Rogers on steel, and Eddie on 'ukulele. So anything I can learn is like ambrosia to me.

I see Tangi made 2-puka instruments, but they have stopped production. Research continues...
Aloha Mike,
Have you ever seen a double puka custom kamaka yet.. mele makes them too....I have a tenor one...

Hi all, thanx for your replies. I don't think I'm in Steve Grimes territory financially Kekani, but great suggestion, his work is beautiful. mm stan, I did find the Mele double puka baritone yesterday, very reasonable price too, pretty much what I'm looking for. And man would I love to see that documentary - our PBS affiliate is Detroit I think, if it was on last night I missed it.

Everyone's been most helpful here, thanks again. I read something in "Hawaiian Son" last night about how Eddie switched to a "custom baritone with 8 strings in two courses". This of course is nonsense, and the kind of minor annoyance that happens when a non-musician writes a book (Eddie is not the author). You can find multiple references to Feet Rogers playing a "pancake" steel. Obviously he means frypan, but that isn't even true - he played a Rickenbacker (or Rickenbacher) B6.

aloha and mahalo,
Mike.

Top Bottom