how to get a clear sound?

AnuChandra

Reaction score
Im a total beginner and I can get a nice and clear F chord for example, but when I try chords like Bb or Bbm things just get blurry and its like the sound is no longer flowing even if my fingers arent blocking the other strings.. Is there anything that makes this easier, something I might be doing wrong or is it just practice that makes it more clear?

Thanks!

Anu

Check out some tutorials on UU and YouTube re: finger positions. Clean sounds come with proper finger placement, strengthening of your hands and fingers, and time..................read practice! Have patience grasshopper and it will come!

Welcome! IT TAKES A BIT MORE PRACTICE TO PLAY 4 string chords like the Bb cleanly. perhaps you are not pressing down hard enough, so some strings are getting muted.

I'm a newbie too, and this works for me: While holding the chord, pluck or strum each string individually. That will help you isolate which strings sound "blurry." Adjust your finger position and/or pressure on the blurry string until the string rings clearly when you strum/pluck it.

A chord like Bb is tricky for many beginners, so don't be surprised if it takes a long time (weeks or longer) to get it right consistently!

try the same chord in the second fret ==b and the 3rd fret == c ,is it clearer ? the b flat is in the first fret position and requires more push than any other position by your index finger. do it over and over try an f = bflat= c / c=b flat= f maybe a 2 3 2 2 3 2 rythm like doing pushups for your index finger lol.

It took me about 4 months to be able to play a Bb or B cleanly.

Practice, and you'll eventually get it.

As everyone else here has said: Practice. It's the only way.

The Bb and other barre chords can be really a pain in the butt. For instance, right now I'm trying to learn a song that's got a lot of D7, B7 and Bb7 interspersed between other nightmares like Cdim, and Ab7, and moving into and out of those barre chords while keeping any sense of clear sound is killing me!

But, after about a week of practice I'm starting to not only be able to make the transitions, but even to hear some real true sound. And trust me, if I can do it, even a spasmodic lemur can.

Practice. It sucks but it's the only way.

I'm a newbie too, and this works for me: While holding the chord, pluck or strum each string individually. That will help you isolate which strings sound "blurry." Adjust your finger position and/or pressure on the blurry string until the string rings clearly when you strum/pluck it. [...]

For a newbie you just gave very sound advice! :)

Try resting your thumb on the back of the second fret. This should make the Bb and Bbm chords somewhat easier to hold, at least in my experience.

Just like playing guitar, pay attention to your body posture, your instrument positioning and your wrist placement.

Top Bottom