PDA

View Full Version : Okay, don't laugh, but I'm really celebrating this little victory!

UkeLookingatMe?
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
This past week I've successfully landed a good sounding Bflat from several different places! I am over the moon with this development! It opens so many songs that I've been wanting to try. Yipppeee!!

Now, if only I could really chunk!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Congratulations! There are tons of great songs in B flat. Have fun!!!!

I couldn't live without B flat---one of the friendliest keys for my voice.

PhilUSAFRet
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
This past week I've successfully landed a good sounding Bflat from several different places! I am over the moon with this development! It opens so many songs that I've been wanting to try. Yipppeee!!

Now, if only I could really chunk!

If you practice enough, one day you'll pick up your uke and you will be "really chunking."

joep
07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Nice work on your Bb. I know what you mean and I'll celebrate when I can hit mine. And E.... and....

Susie A
07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Laughing? Never! I am GREEN with envy!!!!

UkeLookingatMe?
07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for celebrating with me! I thought I'd never get it. It's really hard to trust just slapping those fingers down!

E...well, that one I may never get, lol!

painterbob
07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Congratulations. That's probably my slowest chord to get fingered. I need to break the habit of using my index finger to barre all 4 strings when I only need to cover the first 2 strings. Now I'm focusing on getting the pinky, ring fingers down and then slapping my index finger on a split second after.

poppy
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Keep em barred your gonna run into b6/ b7 and a couple i can't remember off the top a my head then right back to b. lol
Course then another monster comes along lol. Right now its F7 and F#7 for me accckkkk. seems like every song ya like as you move on has a new game of twister lol.
good job on the b flat you will use it all over the neck.

fitncrafty
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
That is a HUGE accomplishment!! celebrate away!! Your song choices have just increased tons!! Yeah for you!!

redheadedali
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
That is not a little victory. That is a *huge* victory! :)

Congratulations!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for celebrating with me! I thought I'd never get it. It's really hard to trust just slapping those fingers down!

E...well, that one I may never get, lol!

Keep trying, and E will be yours soon, too!

Whee, ukulele!!!!

mm stan
07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment...now you can play the key of F which has the Bb...it sounds really nice....and the dreaded E...save that one for later...ha ha...

AnuChandra
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
That's awesome! Im working on that exact same thing... I need more practice =) So happy for you though! I know it'll feel great when I get there! =)

TCK
07-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Ugh- the dreaded B-flat...I am hoisting one in your honor. I learned it first, because Tommy Duncan sang in that key, and this is the first tune I have learned on every instrument I have ever picked up (and my life is meaningless without him)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7rLA9Jm1I.
Good on ya- that is a tough one...
now for the E (ARRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!)

UkeLookingatMe?
07-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Awesome video, TCK! I just might have to learn that one, too!

joeybug
07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Bb? YAY for you! I've only *just* managed it and I'm coming up on a year, but then again, I avoided it for a while! Now, E? That's another story!

So well done! Congrats! Big accomplishment :D

Uke Whisperer
07-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I must join in with the other congratulatory posts!
Been there and finally done that! (Okay, I'm still working on increasing transition speed and smoothness)
The "bitchy B's and the "impossible E's" were major and most frustrating milestones reached in my learning plan to date. What a great feeling of accomplishment to a beginner! Again, congratulations!

DAPuke
07-28-2011, 07:41 AM
That is not a little victory. That is a *huge* victory! :)

Congratulations!Yes, and now you have not only Bb but it's a movable shape which is several more chords!
yay.

UncleElvis
07-28-2011, 07:41 AM
The best thing I ever did for the Bb shape and E was, and I hate to say this, to learn "Soul Sister".
I couple hours of trying to get that bleddy song down and you WILL have those two shapes down, and, in my experience, will have a whole new ability in chord changes. I don't know why, but after I messed with it, a lot of the other chords that I was having problems with just stopped being hard. I guess it's a whole "Try something REALLY hard and the less difficult stuff will seem easy" thing.

The other song, for the Bb shape and fluidity with it (i.e. moving up and down the fretboard easily and smoothly) was "Dock Of The Bay".

Oh, and if you're barreing the whole thing, don't stop! *grin* I wish I had learned it like that. That way, modulating up a step would be MUCH easier. Check out the CAGE thing. It's a really cool concept and, if you make chords with a full barre, will make your life simpler. (Put in its simplest terms, you can make pretty much any chord (within reason) with the C, A, G and E shapes, with a barre... the E should be D and G should be F, but CAGE is much cooler than CAFD. *grin* i.e. Bb is just an A shape, barred and moved up one fret. D (2225) is the C, up two frets. G (4232) is F up two. When it finally clicked in my head, life became wonderful again and playing songs became MUCH much easier. I still have to practice A LOT to get them all really smooth, but it's SO much better than before!)

pekelo
07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Bflat is one that takes some time!! I single this one out
on page 50 of my book 1 ( www.pekelosbooks.com )
Congratulations & keep up the practicing!
pekelo

mm stan
07-28-2011, 04:13 PM
This may help with the Bb chord....go to post #22 http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39314-Bb-Chord..&highlight=chord+position

ScotsDave
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I blame Mike Lynch for me coming to terms early with the Bb chord - the man seems to play every other song in F... I am only just into my second month of playing, but I don't recall finding E that difficult. Mike Lynch uses a barre D most of the time, and if you just slide it up, it becomes E. By the way - I am really chuffed for you. Avoiding the B chord and also barre chords held me back for years on the guitar.

mm stan
07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
playing in the key of F is one of my favorites..it sounds so sweet...

roxhum
07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
I blame Mike Lynch for me coming to terms early with the Bb chord - the man seems to play every other song in F... I am only just into my second month of playing, but I don't recall finding E that difficult. Mike Lynch uses a barre D most of the time, and if you just slide it up, it becomes E. By the way - I am really chuffed for you. Avoiding the B chord and also barre chords held me back for years on the guitar.

You only have been playing for a two months. Baaaa. I am coming up to a year. I don't think I can do it. My fingers don't bend. I have old stiff hands. I try. I practice. I can do the first fret and the second fret but that third fret g string ain't happening. If I bar the whole first fret my finger comes up at the a and e chords. Baaaaaaa I try and try. I just don't strum the g string and call it a b flat. I keep working on it though.

Shastastan
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Good on you! I've been playing about 6 weeks. Make that learning for 6 weeks. No prob with Bb, but I can't do D7 right. I have to use my ring finger on the 3rd fret A string rather than the middle finger. Age 72 has some limitations for some of us.

ScotsDave
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I have Garrods pads on my fretting fingers - stiff as heck.

hehawaiiau22
07-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Awesome! That chord still gives me problems :(