Ukulele Reviews w/ sound samples

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey everyone :D

I thought that since everyone is after reviews of Ukuleles and sound samples of new ones they've acquired or looking for how they sound when played, that it might be a good idea to have a thread just for posting a review written/video and a sound sample video/audio or just a sound sample video/audio.

So I played all six of my Ukuleles using the same song for each, to give you an idea of how each one sounds. I thought I would post them here.

Astrid: No Name Brand Soprano. Aquila Strings. Cost (optional): £12

Lilo: Ohana SK10S. Aquila Strings. Cost: £50

Rhea: Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano. Aquila Strings. Cost:£62

Will post the rest in the post under this!

The final three

Hoa: Koa Pili Koko Acarcia Soprano. Worth Browns. Cost: Unknown

Hope: Tanglewood TU1 CE Acoustic/Electric Soprano. Aquila. Cost: £99

Kupuna: Eleuke Rosewood 100 Series Soprano. Aquila

Last edited:
Aloha JOey,
Thank you for the awesome review....that was really cool and I enjoyed it Joey...Happy strummings..MM Stan

Hey Joey, who's the little girl at 1:42 of the Hoa review? Almost breezes through like a ghost!

Fun to hear all your ukes....

Hey Joey, who's the little girl at 1:42 of the Hoa review? Almost breezes through like a ghost!

Fun to hear all your ukes....

That's probably Miss D, she knew I was doing videos and knew she wasn't supposed to disturb me! Didn't realise she'd been caught on camera!

Great idea. I'm working on a video of my Kala as you suggested in my thread. Need to charge my camera battery first.

Cool Joey, thanks for all the samples. I am saving for an acoustic elec. too. After hearing Hope I'd definitely consider a Tanglewood. nice work,
Don
ps:Being from america i got a kick out of the, W, X, Y & "ZED" :)

Here is my two.

kala KA-ASACC solid Acacia concert and my laminate Lanikai LU21-C. My thanks to Ken Middleton for the song, he plays it better. Warts n all as i do all my videos.
http://youtu.be/DnrxwoRaVpM

Some blues on the same two.
http://youtu.be/NzlKUQM-bD0
Finally my new coffee cup :D.
IMAG0125.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Joey -

Wow, you've become quite the shameless video performer, haven't you? :p
The only think I have to say (aside from another "well done") is that perhaps you should not sing for the 'ukulele comparisons, and let only the sound of the instruments come through on their own.

Last edited:
Hey, Joey -

Wow, you've become quite the shameless video performer, haven't you? :p
The only think I have to say (aside from another "well done") is that perhaps you should not sing for the 'ukulele comparisons, and let only the sound of the instruments come through on their own.

That's a good point, but it's also how I keep time...

Thanks for the comparison! It's always interesting to me to look for the differences in sound among different ukuleles.

By the way, if you Brits are going to insist on calling "zee" "zed," you should come up with lyrics that rhyme with zed, as the last two lines of the song rhyme with "zee." :)

Here's one suggestion:

.... W, X, Y and Zed
Now my ABCs are said
Come and pat me on the head

Hey Joey.. Great job on the videos. You are becoming very comfortable in front of the camera.. good for you! Your collection sounds good..
Thank you for sharing!!!

Thanks for the comparison! It's always interesting to me to look for the differences in sound among different ukuleles.

By the way, if you Brits are going to insist on calling "zee" "zed," you should come up with lyrics that rhyme with zed, as the last two lines of the song rhyme with "zee." :)

Here's one suggestion:

.... W, X, Y and Zed
Now my ABCs are said
Come and pat me on the head

Hey, there's ONE English language, the one you speak and the right one, the one I speak :p It's Zed!

Review w/ sound sample of my flea - "Joy" (And this time I didn't sing!)

Will probably get someone to edit out the singing or redo the other six as I want the sound of the Uke to be forefront and not my awful singing!

Thanks for the review! I've had a tenor scale Flea (Red Hibiscus) for a while, and I like its distinctive voice. (By the way, mine came with black strings that aren't Aquilas -- I believe they're Hilo black nylon strings -- but I don't remember why.) I also have issues with the friction tuners. Flea Market Music offers a peghead tuning gear option, and if I had given it any thought, I'd have asked for them. On the other hand, friction tuners are just part of the Flea/Fluke experience.

I enjoyed the review. I hope you're feeling better.

Top Bottom