PDA

View Full Version : I got a KoAloha!!!!

roxhum
07-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Hello All,
I drove from Northern CA (5 hours north of San Francisco) to Southern CA to visit old friends. Along the way I stopped at Ukulele Source in San Jose, McCabes in Santa Monica and Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach. Living in a rural area I am shopping deprived. It was thrilling to get my hands on the Banjolele Firefly and Mainland banjolele, Martins and Kiwaya's, the Hawaii K brands and more. I fell in love with a KoAloha soprano at the Ukulele Source. I LOVED McCabes in Santa Monica and they made me an offer I could not refuse on a second hand 2009 KoAloha concert ukulele. I love the lightness and balance of the KoAloha's. Now I am a proud new owner of a concert KoAloha and I think I just may be done buying and selling ukuleles for awhile. Accept that Kiwaya on the UU marketplace is tempting...

DreamerZz
07-28-2011, 04:12 AM
cool!

pictures?

Harold O.
07-28-2011, 04:16 AM
"lightness and balance"

That's a very good way to describe a KoAloha concert.

Trinimon
07-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Congrats! Pics! Pics!

I'm saving up for a "K" brand on my next Hawaii trip! :-)

molokinirum
07-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Awesome! Congrats...and BTW....PICTURES??????

Mandarb
07-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Congrats! And uh - pictures?!?!

joeybug
07-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Congrats! Happy New Uke Day :D

Would love to see some photos when you've got time :D

RichM
07-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Assuming it's the same one I played there about a month ago, you got a GOOD one! Isn't the Ukulele Source experience awesome?

mm stan
07-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Aloha Roxhum,
Congratulations on your new Ko Aloha....wow you been to all those place...and I see you have tried alot of ukes...wow....You really are getting alot of experience from all of them, mahalo for sharing..
great to know you will be sharing it with all of us here..Happy Strummings and enjoy your new KoAloha..MM Stan

70sSanO
07-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Now that's what I call a road trip!

Congratulations!

I agree that McCabes is pretty cool. Also Island Bazaar is all things ukulele. This is the first time I heard of Ukulele Source.

John

sukie
07-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Happy new uke day to you!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Congratulations! What a great shopping day!!

janeray1940
07-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I think I just may be done buying and selling ukuleles for awhile. Accept that Kiwaya on the UU marketplace is tempting...

Congratulations, it's a great feeling isn't it?

(And yeah, about the only temptation I've fought lately has been a Kiwaya too.)

guitharsis
07-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Congrats on your KoAloha concert!

rem50
07-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Gotta love those KoAloha's. Really liked your description too. Congratulations! ........and pics are not an option! :)

DAPuke
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Right on! I got to play a a friends KoAloha concert a while back and it took some time for me to get used to the inferior sound of my own entry level ukes that prior I thought sounded ok. Congratulations!
Don

roxhum
07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Right on! I got to play a a friends KoAloha concert a while back and it took some time for me to get used to the inferior sound of my own entry level ukes that prior I thought sounded ok. Congratulations!
Don

Yes that is the danger. Once you get one of those K brands I think there may be no going back....

roxhum
07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Thank you everyone! I am at work. I will take pics when I get home tonight.

mds725
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Congratulations on your new KoAloha!. Yes, pictures, please!

Going to McCabes is on my list of things to do the next time I go to SoCal. I was at Ukulele Source this past weekend looking for a KoAloha tenor, but Ukulele Source was all out and actually has a waiting list for KoAloha tenors. I got to play a KoAloha superconcert, sceptre and pineapple sunday, and they were all sweet. I think I've been bitten by the KoAloha bug.

roxhum
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Congratulations on your new KoAloha!. Yes, pictures, please!

Going to McCabes is on my list of things to do the next time I go to SoCal. I was at Ukulele Source this past weekend looking for a KoAloha tenor, but Ukulele Source was all out and actually has a waiting list for KoAloha tenors. I got to play a KoAloha superconcert, sceptre and pineapple sunday, and they were all sweet. I think I've been bitten by the KoAloha bug.

Oh yes I have been bitten by the KoAloha bug. Some say that Kamaka sounds better, and it very well may but I just love how the KoAloha feels, so light. I can't get my mind of a KoAloha Soprano I tried at Ukulele Source but I can't justify buying it unless I sell my Black Bear or my Kamaka Pineapple and... Repeat after me "I don't need or can I afford anymore ukuleles".

Ukuele Source is sweet where McCabes is very awesome. Bigger, more instruments and activity going on and a funky beach vibe. Do go there when you have a chance. They are also quick to give you a discount.

808boy
07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Aloha Roxhum,
Congrats on your Koaloha.
I'm now on Maui but seen mmStan recently and will see him again soon. Will see if I have time to visit Koaloha as I purchased a Koalana Concert and want to change the tuners to the Koaloha style. Also bought a solid Mango and a solid Koa Concert Ukes from a local luthier......both look and sound awesome, and the price was hard to resist.
Again, congrats on your new uke.........................BO, in Hawaii till???......................

OldePhart
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
It's funny how getting your hands on a really good uke tends to decrease UAS significantly! Congrats and enjoy!

NatalieS
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pictures! :D