Leash or Soundohoe Hook Strap?

PoiDog

Reaction score
There is another thread going on regarding using a strap that discusses the relative merits of installing a button for a genuine strap, or using the Leash.

I was wondering, however, if there was anyone had any info on how the leash and the soundhole hook strap compare? I would imagine the leash gives considerably more neck support, but is that right?

There is another thread going on regarding using a strap that discusses the relative merits of installing a button for a genuine strap, or using the Leash.

I was wondering, however, if there was anyone had any info on how the leash and the soundhole hook strap compare? I would imagine the leash gives considerably more neck support, but is that right?

And I'm wondering if the soundhole hook scratches the finish?

I put a strap button on both my Kamaka and Kanile'a tenors, and use the Uke Leash with the button adaptor. Works fine. Also worked fine using the leash upper arm loop, prior to installing the buttons. I also have two Uke Thongs that I use for playing while seated. The Uke Thong provides enough support for playing while seated and doesn't feel as restrictive as the leash strap. The Uke Thong has a fabric covered soundhole hook, and I have not had any trouble with any type of marks. So, if you're going to be strolling around the pool or luau while playing - go for the leash. If you take your Mai Tais sitting down, a Uke Thong is just the ticket.

While I like the "leash", I would be reluctant to use the "hook". While ukes are light you are still putting stress on the top plus as Phil wonders there is always the scratch issue. I think going forward, the strap button really makes the most sense. It gives support to both ends of the instrument. My only "beef" with the leash is that the bout end of uke isn't supported-this isn't a big deal, because the uke is so light, but is a minor consideration. Just my $.02. I'll probably change my opinion in a couple of minutes though-lol.

I would be reluctant to use the "hook". While ukes are light you are still putting stress on the top plus as Phil wonders there is always the scratch issue.
I think most of the hooks are coated to be non-scratch, but there's still the stress issue. Pulling outward on the sound hole can't be good, especially for thin solid tops. Probably okay on a cheapie laminate, but I'd advise against using one on a "good" uke with a solid top.

I bought a Ukestar strap (http://www.etsy.com/shop/ukestar) a couple years ago, though their site is not up right now. Used it with my Kanile'a concert for about a year. I still have it. It is soft velvet and the hook is well-covered with coating so scratching was never a problem. I never got the sense that there was an inordinate amount of "pulling" on the soundhole: I just let the instrument relax in from of my chest and the strap kept it there.
Since then, I've gone over to the Uke Leash and like it even better: so much so that I have a headstock adapter on each of my ukes. I unbuckle and buckle as I go from instrument to instrument. I've never had the courage to actually screw a pin into the uke body, though I wouldn't avoid a uke that had one!

I would imagine the leash gives considerably more neck support, but is that right?
I've never used the hook, so I can't say how they compare, but I can tell you that the Uke Leash fully supports the neck and headstock--you can release your hold on the neck and it (the neck) will remain where it is.

Top Bottom