If I restring my Makala Dolphin with aquila strings will i notice the difference?

Leodhas

Reaction score
If I restring my Makala Dolphin with aquila strings will i notice the difference?

Basically is it worth the effort? Will there be a difference? I think it has the black ghs strings on and I realise that the aquila are of a higher quality but will there be that much of a difference on such a low end instrument. (Not knocking the Dolphin as i know there are some fanatics out there).

They will definately make a difference. Will you like them? Sorry, but you won't know until you hear them. More than likely, several Dolphin owners will let you know their opinion on the matter. :)

Yes! I've since sold mine, but there was an amazing change in the tone after putting the Aquilas on. It makes it a very plunky-sounding instrument, which I like. I imagine Worths would sound good on it as well, but I never had the opportunity to try them out.

YES! Aquilas are probably the best upgrade for any cheap uke. We have three Dolphins in the family, two with Aquilas and one that still has the stock GHS strings on it and the difference is night and day. I have yet to find a uke I like GHS on.

I like the Kala reds too. I have a white dolphin with reds and it looks cool too.
Some colors the white Aquilas are better looking.
I have played dolphins with Aquila, Kala Reds & Orcas, all sounded better than the nylon stock strings.
Orcas kind of keep the theme going too.

You might notice a difference in the intonation if you setup the nut a bit and then it might sound better if you don't like how it is now.

I would like to know how come I like the darn GHS strings? I remember when I got the Hamano Soprano, it came with black nylons and I immediately put martins on it but the nylons sounded ok. I also found them to sound quite good on Concert Makalas. I think aquilas did improve my dolphin but today I picked up an Epiphone Masterbilt which is a solid mahogany soprano and it has I believe GHS strings on it and it sounds great! Am I the only person on UU who likes GHS?

Last edited:
"Am I the only person on UU who likes GHS?"

Probably. GHS sound awful imho.

Strings are a very subjective and personal choice. For years nylon strings were our only choice, today we have lots of choices.
Strings can all feel different as well as sound different. If you like GHS, don't let anyone tell you different. I do suggest you try different strings you might be surprised and then again you may not be.
I was a loyal Aquila user until I discovered Worth Browns and Orcas. I still use Aquilla on certain ukes and recommend them highly to students and friends.
GHS strings are my string of choice on my banjo uke.

You might notice a difference in the intonation if you setup the nut a bit and then it might sound better if you don't like how it is now.

I would like to know how come I like the darn GHS strings? I remember when I got the Hamano Soprano, it came with black nylons and I immediately put martins on it but the nylons sounded ok. I also found them to sound quite good on Concert Makalas. I think aquilas did improve my dolphin but today I picked up an Epiphone Masterbilt which is a solid mahogany soprano and it has I believe GHS strings on it and it sounds great! Am I the only person on UU who likes GHS?

Nope, I like them and mm stan does too! I had them on my KPK and loved them, but switched to Worth Brown's for a different sound, and still have some GHS in case strings break or I want to switch back!

Hell Yes and Hell NO...
1) yup with aquila's the volume and tone
2) GHS..love them on some ukes...

well yeah the sound of the Martins, Aquilas and the GHS is quite different. The GHS are not as loud for one. They do sound a bit stiffer and I don't know what it is about the tone of them that I like.... Maybe I like that they sound old fashioned or something lol. I don't know why I like that tone. Now I am getting curious what the Martins would sound like on the Masterbilt. Worth Browns are not so easy to get in this town. Dang I wonder if you could even get them in Nashville lmao

Well I got the aquilas today through the post along with a kala ka-tem i bought as a 1st uke for my nephew, so I'm about to have a mess around with the dolphin. I did lower the saddle considerably when i first got the dolphin (as a guitar player it was perhaps an instinctual thing and I wish I hadn't done it now as I dropped it too low) However I'm going to fit a new one and mess about with the ghs strings until it feels ok then fit the aquilas.

I do understand why some folks would like the ghs strings as there is a certain sound they help to achieve. To me it's that almost shoe box feel which is very appealing. Some people can get a wee bit uppity when you equate the ukulele to a toy, nevertheless there is something gorgeous in that toy uke sound which the ghs (especially on the lower end ukes) helps to achieve. Och pish tae this, I'm keeping the ghs on!

Basically is it worth the effort? Will there be a difference? I think it has the black ghs strings on and I realise that the aquila are of a higher quality but will there be that much of a difference on such a low end instrument. (Not knocking the Dolphin as i know there are some fanatics out there).

Yes and No. It will make a difference but it will still be a dolphin.

I strung my Dolphin with Aquilas,but used
a CONCERT set instead of Soprano.The
change was truly amazing.I like Aquilas in
any case but the extra edge that the Concert
set give is astounding.Try it and see....

Top Bottom