On the hunt for a great Koa tenor

bynapkinart

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading from my Lanikai LU21T. It's great, sounds great, and is ridiculously fun to play, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities out there in the wide world of ukes.

I want to buy a Koa uke...preferably solid, preferably tenor sized. I'm thinking about a $300 to $500 budget. I've been looking at the Lanikai NK-T for the last couple of days but I haven't heard too much in the way of reviews or anything. I'd love to sit and play a few and decide on one in person, but unfortunately I moved to the midwest about 5 months ago and consequently it is very difficult to find any ukes to fiddle around with live.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any owners of the NK-T want to weigh in?

That Lanikai just has a solid top! This Kala is all solid Acacia......same family as Koa for less than $300 in a number of places including HawaiiMusicSupply, UKe Republic,
MIMs, etc. May be the uke to beat. If you can wait, get a used premium uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJIrdYhd58o

Last edited:
If you have 500.00 keep your eye open on the marketplace here, flea marketplace and craigslist..buying second hand affords you to have a premimum level at a mid range price..Good luck and
be patient... it will come..besides you will be saving up in the meantime..

That definitely caught my attention...one thing, is the body that shallow on the tenor model? Seems like it wouldn't project, but maybe that's because I'm new to ukes. Beyond that, you've definitely got my ears perked!

That definitely caught my attention...one thing, is the body that shallow on the tenor model? Seems like it wouldn't project, but maybe that's because I'm new to ukes. Beyond that, you've definitely got my ears perked!

Hi there,
I have a used Kelii like that except it has mahogany back and sides, it is in very good condition with a few nailmarks, pls IM me if you are interested.
Regards,
Christian

I have a Kelii all Koa Tenor almost new, in mint condition, with case I will part with for $600.00 delivered CONUS
Selling because my UAS has required I purchase a Moore Bettah Tenor Ukulele.
OK, . This instrument is easily equal in sound a quality to any K out there and I own several. It has a great sound perfect intonation and nice Koa body with nice flame. If you are interested send me a PM and I will send Pictures.
Its literally perfect to my eyes and ears.
Bob

For Sale

For the Markeplace. I have two instrumewnts I am willing to part with reluctantly. Nothing but perfection in each but I am lusting for a Moore Bettah Tenor.
For sale are the following:
Ken Timms # 160 custom built all Mahogany Soprano with Grover geared tuners in mint condition, nice low action, perfect intonation, case and new Worth brown strings installed.
Will sell for $600 delivered CONUS. Picture avaiable by request , please send PM.
Also for sale: Kelii all koa Tenor, almost new, in new condition, with new Savarez strings nice low action easy to play sounds better than most k brands I tried. Perfect intonation. Will sell for $600 delivered CONUS Pictures available upon request from PM.
I love and hate to part with both of these ukes but my UAS has taken me to Moore Bettah and I'm done in. Please help me by buying one or both of my spectacular ukes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom