Too young or too old to play the uke?

MaysaHawaii

Reaction score
I got this question all the time when working at the shop. Something goes like
My niece is only five years old? Can she play?
or
Me? I'm too old to play music. This uke is for my nephew.
So here you go. The following two videos should answer all the above questions. What do you think?

My son (less than two years old) playing my uke.

Bill Tapia (more than hundred and two years olds) at the concert

They are at least 100 years apart but both enjoy the music from ukulele. I love ukulele!

Your little boys smile just won my heart! What a cutie! He handles the uke very well although it's a little big, I still enjoyed the video and your post.
I got my uke almost a year ago, I made lots of excuses that I was too old and such. I am SO happy that I got it and I am never looking back!!!

What's too old? What's to young?
Wait- I don't really want to know...might hinder something fun :)

Wow at 18 months Kekoa is ukulele crazy for it....I can imagine in a few years..mahalo for sharing it was awesome..MM Stan

Thank for the smiles, great videos!

Oh gosh it made me nervous watching him with that nice uke. He needs a dolphin. Your son is darling. Both videos were awesome.
I am late in life to music. I started to help keep my mind sharp and it opened up a whole new fun world for me.

I absolutely agree that music keeps our mind sharp. Look at Bill Tapia. I can't imagine if I could live that long and I still remember all the chords and lyrics. He proofed that it's possible. He's a living legend!

I got my 2yr old grandson a dolphin from Mim. He loves it, the first thing he heads for at our house. He is all 2 year old boy, can't sit still, but he will sit there and watch an entire hour of The Mighty Uke.

I started music early, at around 6/7, but didn't pick up the Uke until I was 28, I'll be 30 in Jan 2012, love it, never thought I was too old! And yes, Bill Tapiea is a living legend! I hope I look that good and play that well when I'm his age, if I get that far!

I brought my god daughter an Uke for her sixth birthday, she loves it!

I constantly hear from people in their late 50's that "I wish I learned to play when I was younger, oh well it's too late now" - it's never too late.

I first learned the uke in 3rd - 5th grade when we were stationed at Pearl Harbor. Music class was 20 kids strumming three chord songs. I haven't played since until this year when I got one for my 53rd B-day. I'm having a blast and amazed how quick some of it came back.

Another point - since it's the same tuning (different key) as a guitar it is a great starter for little kids who want to play guitar when their hands get bigger

My mother in law STARTED playing uke at age 77. Now at 83 she plays with our family group. She got us all started.

Your little boy is a natural. Thanks for the video proof to prove that it is never to late or to early.

Top Bottom