Pics of the new to me KoAloha

roxhum

Reaction score
As requested here are pics of the KoAloha Concert ukulele that I got at McCabes in Santa Monica, CA this weekend.

IMG_0355.jpgIMG_0356.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0358.jpgIMG_0360.jpg

Very nice. KoAloha is the best. Congrats! Enjoy your new uke.

Koa ukuleles all seem to have their own grain pattern, the way no two snowflakes look exactly alike. Yours is definitely a beauty! Congratulations!

Oh my goodness next time I know you are passing through I am throwing myself into the middle of the freeway to see what you got! That RULES!!!
So pretty...video time?

Thats the prettiest KoAloha I've seen. Actually the first K brand whose appearance I like better than my Honu.

Aloha Roxy,
Congratulations...wow it's a beauty..and you got a real good deal...happy Strummings...MM Stan

Do my eyes deceive me or does your gorgeous new ukulele have a little koa veneer matching the grain direction of the bridge to the top? Byoooooootiful.

I'm not even going to ask how great it sounds. Have fun!!

gorgeous ukulele! I just picked up a KoAloha concert as well almost 2 weeks ago. Drove all the way from San Diego to San Fernando Valley just to get it. scored it off Craigslist for a sweet deal. Not as pretty as yours, but I love it! I'm sure yours sounds amazing!

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

oh hey ill join the club too!

Only thing i hate is the gloss/matte finish. It feels very notwell done. maybe that's just me. Also not really a huge fan of the fretboard being the same color.

IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0625.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0631.jpgIMG_0632.jpg

oh hey ill join the club too!

Only thing i hate is the gloss/matte finish. It feels very notwell done. maybe that's just me. Also not really a huge fan of the fretboard being the same color.

View attachment 26210View attachment 26211View attachment 26212View attachment 26213View attachment 26214

the finish is fine. it's more of a nitro finish, the way a lot of old fenders were finished mack in the day. some people think its a flaw because you can feel the pores in the wood and it's not super smooth and shiny, but thats actually why i like it! too many companies put on thick layers of gloss and to me it ruins an otherwise nice instrument. the nitro is much thinner and doesnt 'suffocate' the wood, and allows it to breathe and resonate better. plus, the heavy gloss finishes just look plastic and cheap to me.

Is KoAloha the only company that does this?

What do you know about kamaka and Kanilea?

sbpark your KoAloha is beautiful. DreamerZz I love everything about the KoAloha. What you all can't see is that all the edges are a bit rounded and the bottom of the fret board where it connects to the body is somewhat indented. I can't explain it but I really like it. I also have noticed with the Kamaka and the KoAloha the finish holds up better than all the other ukes I have had my hands on. They don't seem to have strum scratches like all my other ukes. DreamerZz I still consider myself a beginner so I kind of hate to respond to questions. Seems to me that the Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha are all winners and all similar as far as the wood and finish. I like light weight so favored the KoAloha. The Kanilea seemed to be the heaviest so I vetoed that brand right away, I think it was more expensive too. It boils down to personal preferences. Some think the Kamaka sounds better, maybe it does, they are all beautiful and awesome, IMHO. I so recommend if you can to go somewhere and play with all of them. So much cheaper than buying and selling until you figure out what you like and what your keepers are. I also played some $1400 + ukuleles that of course were awesome but my budget is much lower than that.

sbpark your KoAloha is beautiful. DreamerZz I love everything about the KoAloha. What you all can't see is that all the edges are a bit rounded and the bottom of the fret board where it connects to the body is somewhat indented. I can't explain it but I really like it. I also have noticed with the Kamaka and the KoAloha the finish holds up better than all the other ukes I have had my hands on. They don't seem to have strum scratches like all my other ukes. DreamerZz I still consider myself a beginner so I kind of hate to respond to questions. Seems to me that the Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha are all winners and all similar as far as the wood and finish. I like light weight so favored the KoAloha. The Kanilea seemed to be the heaviest so I vetoed that brand right away, I think it was more expensive too. It boils down to personal preferences. Some think the Kamaka sounds better, maybe it does, they are all beautiful and awesome, IMHO. I so recommend if you can to go somewhere and play with all of them. So much cheaper than buying and selling until you figure out what you like and what your keepers are. I also played some $1400 + ukuleles that of course were awesome but my budget is much lower than that.

i took my Koaloha to a shop and played it against a couple kamakas and other ukues that cost way more than the $480 i paid for my Koaloha concert and i personally thought the Koaloha blew them all away. way more bright and sparkly but not harsh at all. everythng sounded dull and flat compared to it. plus the Koaloha just has a nice round, even sound to it. To me it's just what i thought a uku should sound like. This doesn't mean the Kamakas and other ukues i played werent good, its just personal preference and the key is finding the instrument that fits your taste and what you're looking for that you can afford. sure there are probably ukues out there that sound 'better' but thats subjective, and i consider myself very lucky to have found the instrument that spoke to me, sounds damn good and makes me happy when i play it!

Wow! If envy is one of those "deadly sins" I'm screwed.

Top Bottom