PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new to me KoAloha

roxhum
07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
As requested here are pics of the KoAloha Concert ukulele that I got at McCabes in Santa Monica, CA this weekend.

MaysaHawaii
07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Very nice. KoAloha is the best. Congrats! Enjoy your new uke.

mds725
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Koa ukuleles all seem to have their own grain pattern, the way no two snowflakes look exactly alike. Yours is definitely a beauty! Congratulations!

GKK
07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Very nice!

Someday, I'll have a K-brand Uke. :cool:

TCK
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh my goodness next time I know you are passing through I am throwing myself into the middle of the freeway to see what you got! That RULES!!!
So pretty...video time?

Ronnie Aloha
07-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Sweet! You got the best sounding concert around IMHO.

poppy
07-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Thats the prettiest KoAloha I've seen. Actually the first K brand whose appearance I like better than my Honu.

mm stan
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Aloha Roxy,
Congratulations...wow it's a beauty..and you got a real good deal...happy Strummings...MM Stan

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Do my eyes deceive me or does your gorgeous new ukulele have a little koa veneer matching the grain direction of the bridge to the top? Byoooooootiful.

I'm not even going to ask how great it sounds. Have fun!!

sbpark
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
gorgeous ukulele! I just picked up a KoAloha concert as well almost 2 weeks ago. Drove all the way from San Diego to San Fernando Valley just to get it. scored it off Craigslist for a sweet deal. Not as pretty as yours, but I love it! I'm sure yours sounds amazing!

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/sbparker01/IMG_1978.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/sbparker01/IMG_1980.jpg

DreamerZz
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
oh hey ill join the club too!

Only thing i hate is the gloss/matte finish. It feels very notwell done. maybe that's just me. Also not really a huge fan of the fretboard being the same color.

sbpark
07-28-2011, 06:32 PM
oh hey ill join the club too!

Only thing i hate is the gloss/matte finish. It feels very notwell done. maybe that's just me. Also not really a huge fan of the fretboard being the same color.

the finish is fine. it's more of a nitro finish, the way a lot of old fenders were finished mack in the day. some people think its a flaw because you can feel the pores in the wood and it's not super smooth and shiny, but thats actually why i like it! too many companies put on thick layers of gloss and to me it ruins an otherwise nice instrument. the nitro is much thinner and doesnt 'suffocate' the wood, and allows it to breathe and resonate better. plus, the heavy gloss finishes just look plastic and cheap to me.

DreamerZz
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Is KoAloha the only company that does this?

What do you know about kamaka and Kanilea?

roxhum
07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
sbpark your KoAloha is beautiful. DreamerZz I love everything about the KoAloha. What you all can't see is that all the edges are a bit rounded and the bottom of the fret board where it connects to the body is somewhat indented. I can't explain it but I really like it. I also have noticed with the Kamaka and the KoAloha the finish holds up better than all the other ukes I have had my hands on. They don't seem to have strum scratches like all my other ukes. DreamerZz I still consider myself a beginner so I kind of hate to respond to questions. Seems to me that the Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha are all winners and all similar as far as the wood and finish. I like light weight so favored the KoAloha. The Kanilea seemed to be the heaviest so I vetoed that brand right away, I think it was more expensive too. It boils down to personal preferences. Some think the Kamaka sounds better, maybe it does, they are all beautiful and awesome, IMHO. I so recommend if you can to go somewhere and play with all of them. So much cheaper than buying and selling until you figure out what you like and what your keepers are. I also played some $1400 + ukuleles that of course were awesome but my budget is much lower than that.

Trinimon
07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow! That's one sweet look'n Ko Aloha!

sbpark
07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
sbpark your KoAloha is beautiful. DreamerZz I love everything about the KoAloha. What you all can't see is that all the edges are a bit rounded and the bottom of the fret board where it connects to the body is somewhat indented. I can't explain it but I really like it. I also have noticed with the Kamaka and the KoAloha the finish holds up better than all the other ukes I have had my hands on. They don't seem to have strum scratches like all my other ukes. DreamerZz I still consider myself a beginner so I kind of hate to respond to questions. Seems to me that the Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha are all winners and all similar as far as the wood and finish. I like light weight so favored the KoAloha. The Kanilea seemed to be the heaviest so I vetoed that brand right away, I think it was more expensive too. It boils down to personal preferences. Some think the Kamaka sounds better, maybe it does, they are all beautiful and awesome, IMHO. I so recommend if you can to go somewhere and play with all of them. So much cheaper than buying and selling until you figure out what you like and what your keepers are. I also played some $1400 + ukuleles that of course were awesome but my budget is much lower than that.

i took my Koaloha to a shop and played it against a couple kamakas and other ukues that cost way more than the $480 i paid for my Koaloha concert and i personally thought the Koaloha blew them all away. way more bright and sparkly but not harsh at all. everythng sounded dull and flat compared to it. plus the Koaloha just has a nice round, even sound to it. To me it's just what i thought a uku should sound like. This doesn't mean the Kamakas and other ukues i played werent good, its just personal preference and the key is finding the instrument that fits your taste and what you're looking for that you can afford. sure there are probably ukues out there that sound 'better' but thats subjective, and i consider myself very lucky to have found the instrument that spoke to me, sounds damn good and makes me happy when i play it!

iDavid
07-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I'll play, also.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it is still my favorite!

Pippin
07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Beautiful ukulele.

PhilUSAFRet
07-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Wow! If envy is one of those "deadly sins" I'm screwed.

OLARN
07-29-2011, 01:07 AM
This is one of the best ukulele brand in the world. I have a KTM-00, and I love it.

iDavid
07-29-2011, 02:40 AM
KoAloha has a certain a sparkle that I am yet to find in another brand.

ShakaSign
07-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Hi, Roxhum. Beautiful uke. You'll love your Koaloha concert. I certainly enjoy playing mine. The Kamakas have better lower end richness, but the Koalohas have this bright tonal clarity. On all the ones I've played, I always amazed how the 4 strings stayed so well balanced no matter how hard you strum on them.

roxhum
07-29-2011, 03:22 AM

I'll play, also.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it is still my favorite!

Ooh David what a unique wood on yours. I like it!

iDavid
07-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Ooh David what a unique wood on yours. I like it!

Thanks. I play it so much that it is getting a shiny spot. It is the only KoAloha concert I have ever played, so I assume they all sound just as good.
It has such a magical sound. I got a KoAloha tenor and it didn't quite have it, but neither did any other uke I've played.
I need to get a few more KoAloha concerts, to make sure... or maybe try a soprano

roxhum
07-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Hi, Roxhum. Beautiful uke. You'll love your Koaloha concert. I certainly enjoy playing mine. The Kamakas have better lower end richness, but the Koalohas have this bright tonal clarity. On all the ones I've played, I always amazed how the 4 strings stayed so well balanced no matter how hard you strum on them.

Thanks ShakaSign, I think I have a really nice group of ukes now.

roxhum
07-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks. I play it so much that it is getting a shiny spot. It is the only KoAloha concert I have ever played, so I assume they all sound just as good.
It has such a magical sound. I got a KoAloha tenor and it didn't quite have it, but neither did any other uke I've played.
I need to get a few more KoAloha concerts, to make sure... or maybe try a soprano

David at the store I was at they had a new KoAloha concert and the one I bought from 2009. They both were beautiful but different. I actually liked the new one best but money talks and for the money I saved.... I am playing it back to back with my Kamaka Pineapple and they are similar but like what ShakaSign said the Kamaka is a bit lower and richer. A friend says that is because the wood is slightly thicker in the Kamaka. I love the light wieght of the KoAloha and they are all beautiful even if/when a slightly different sound. You just can't loose I think. I didn't realize how many KoAloha lovers were out there until this post. (or maybe I just didn't understand why)

BadLands Bart
07-29-2011, 06:56 AM
That is a real beauty!! I love the darker colored Koa and that grain is real nice!!
Congratulations!!!!

Mandarb
07-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Congrats again! Thanks for sharing some pics - glad to hear you are enjoying your beautiful new uke.

Lexxy
07-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! I love my KoAlohas!

DreamerZz
07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
just wondering, the older the wood is the better it sounds right?

so like a 2004 koaloha would sound better than a 2011 one?

roxhum
07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
just wondering, the older the wood is the better it sounds right?

so like a 2004 koaloha would sound better than a 2011 one?

I don't think that is a proven fact... Depends on who you talk to. But, if that were true a 2004 would sound better in 2011 than it did in 2004 but maybe the 2011 model is a better sounding uke anyway. "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

iDavid
07-29-2011, 02:12 PM
wood varies, but older does not mean better

Nickie
07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I have heard from many stringed instrument players that the more an instrument is played, the better it sounds. Kinda makes sense, don't it? I mean, I doubt if it could be proven scientifically, but there is something, I think, to the idea that the energy does something nice to wood.

iDavid
07-29-2011, 11:29 PM
It is called "opening up" and I think it is true. I've had ukes get sweeter and louder after being broken in, but some will argue that one just gets use to playing the uke and can get on out of it.

micromue
07-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Super sweet Koaloha. Congrats!