A Nod to KimUke and Joeybug and New Uke Fever

Leodhas

Reaction score
I was reading the posts by Kimuke and joeybug and it got me to thinking about New Uke fever or NUF for short. There is nothing else like it, it's mad!

I'm 34 now and bought my first ever brand new car a couple of years ago and I was nowhere near as excited as I am now knowing that a new uke is coming tomorrow (bought a kala tem as a 1st uke for my nephew that came today but also treated myself to an oscar schmidt ou2 and a set of aquila strings to go on it which is due tomorrow) .

Once upon a time I was a guitar head and I have some nice guitars, but not for one of them did I get anywhere near as excited as I do for a hundred dollar uke. (notice the use of dollars there as a nod to all you good americans). The day I got the keys for my first ever house doesn't compare! I haven't got any kids yet so that might rival it but I doubt that strongly as I sense any joy at that time will be mixed with dread.

I remember when I first joined this site over a year ago and was told at the time that ukes will change my life. Never would i consider ukes above guitars and now I hardly touch the guitar. I was however also told that playing the uke would give me a sunnier disposition, however i still think i'm a miserable bastard so I don't know about that, but then again i'm all giddy like a wee lassie about a new uke coming tomorrow so maybe ukes have changed me!

I was laughing at the joeybug pics because she just looked so happy, like a 5 year old at christmas!

You are right, There is nothing quiet like new uke day. However, the keys to my first house is still better then all the new uke days combined.

I was laughing at the joeybug pics because she just looked so happy, like a 5 year old at christmas!

That's because I was like a five year old at Christmas and so VERY happy!!!

Aloha Leo,
Congratulations on your new OU2 Oscar Schmidt ....I really love mine...it was my second uke...and you are right...it makes you giddy with envy....it's a very happy instrument and you can't stop
upgrading....he he...have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Congrats on your new uke. NUF is an amazing little syndrome for sure. I'm already picking out a uke for my 3 year old niece -- and a second one for moi! I tend to collect things (wine, watches, etc.) so I'm I little worried that the next collection has been started.

Learning to play - well - is the next challange! I hope I'm up to it!

You are right, There is nothing quiet like new uke day. However, the keys to my first house is still better then all the new uke days combined.

Not for me, I was 22/23 and it had been a drawn out affair and although pleased to have a place to call my own I was also massively aware that it came with a hugh mortgage. Fear is a word that sums up my emotions concerning my first house.

As for my Uke, it hasn't arrived yet and it's 2:30 pm gmt so it better turn up soon.

My Ohana SK-38 arrived yesterday as well, but there were so many "new uke" threads already that I decided to keep quiet. I was quite excited, however.

Happy New Uke Day :D Hope you enjoy you new Ohana, I have an SK10S, and I love her!

Happy New Uke Day :D Hope you enjoy you new Ohana, I have an SK10S, and I love her!

It's still at the needs-to-be-tuned-every-few-seconds stage, so it's hard to tell. I'm hoping the intonation is less wonky than it currently seems (it probably is; it's fine sometimes, but the instrument is constantly going out of tune, meaning that even immediately after I've tuned it, the intonation will appear to be off), and I'm really starting to hate Aquila strings. I know they have a great reputation, but why are they so harsh and plasticy-sounding? Is "harsh and plasticy-sounding" ideal for the ukulele? I like it when the strings go "tinnnnnng," not "fffpmump." I think I may be more of a Worth fan.

End of Inappropriately Timed Rant. I do think I'll end up liking this little guy. When he's in tune, he allows for some nice old-fashioned plunkiness.

It's still at the needs-to-be-tuned-every-few-seconds stage, so it's hard to tell. I'm hoping the intonation is less wonky than it currently seems (it probably is; it's fine sometimes, but the instrument is constantly going out of tune, meaning that even immediately after I've tuned it, the intonation will appear to be off), and I'm really starting to hate Aquila strings. I know they have a great reputation, but why are they so harsh and plasticy-sounding? Is "harsh and plasticy-sounding" ideal for the ukulele? I like it when the strings go "tinnnnnng," not "fffpmump." I think I may be more of a Worth fan.

End of Inappropriately Timed Rant. I do think I'll end up liking this little guy. When he's in tune, he allows for some nice old-fashioned plunkiness.

I think the SK38 is a solid? Right? I do find Aquila's better on laminates, and I love my KPK solid with Worth's on it, so maybe you should switch them out and see if that's more the sound you're looking for, I'm a firm believer that no string is perfect on EVERY uke out there, and it's personal preference when it comes to strings :D

I think the SK38 is a solid? Right? I do find Aquila's better on laminates, and I love my KPK solid with Worth's on it, so maybe you should switch them out and see if that's more the sound you're looking for, I'm a firm believer that no string is perfect on EVERY uke out there, and it's personal preference when it comes to strings :D

Yes, it's a solid. The main problem is that it's very difficult to find anything besides D'Addarios in Toronto, for some incomprehensible reason. Online Canadian vendors don't have much either. Elderly, it its wisdom, charges over $10 to ship a single set of strings to Canada. Eventually, however, I'll find some Worths somewhere and try them on this little guy.

My uke still hasn't come, checked the delivery site and they say it will be monday now!

Awww, that sucks! Another couple of days of waiting! Waiting is the hardest part, but soon it will be there! :D

fantastic post lol
congrats to y'all on your new instruments :)

I dont have NUF , I have PUF -perpetual uke fever!
I was addicted to guitars for many years , now I am hoplessly addicted to ukes, as you say, even more so than the guitars, and it is a perpetual thing, I think about them day and night, and am jsut as excited and giddy about my 2 ukes as before they came into my possesion and 'Squeeeee' over them constantly like a little kid heehee I guess cause when my hands got to where playing a guitar was painful, they have been my whole life, my career, it was such a depressing loss, and when I found uke and could play it with out much pain , it was like being borne again as a musician and whole new even more fun world of music was waitign to be discovered, and I've not been disapointed. And a wonderful aspect I didnt expect, the fantastic people I've met , what Paul McCathrny said about people who play the uke is right! Uke people are awsome ;)

Beware of UAS and the desire to feed the NUF, I would think they go hand in hand? I can't afford UAS, but I am happy to be giddy over what I've got, everyday is a new day to play after all.

My Ohana SK-38 arrived yesterday as well, but there were so many "new uke" threads already that I decided to keep quiet. I was quite excited, however.

Congrats, Kern! Ohana ukes sound great; I'm sure you'll have a blast with your SK-38!

Congrats, Kern! Ohana ukes sound great; I'm sure you'll have a blast with your SK-38!

The thing about this poor little guy is that I am its fifth owner. All the previous owners have explained they they like it but feel it "isn't for them." It's bounced all over North America. I would like to offer it a permanent home. Luckily, it's starting to grow on me, Aquilas and all. Here's me fooling around on it. It has a kind of happy, goofy sound that I rather like.

The thing about this poor little guy is that I am its fifth owner. All the previous owners have explained they they like it but feel it "isn't for them." It's bounced all over North America. I would like to offer it a permanent home. Luckily, it's starting to grow on me, Aquilas and all. Here's me fooling around on it. It has a kind of happy, goofy sound that I rather like.

I liked the "noddling" sounds like a good instrument, Aquilas and all! Enjoy :D

Top Bottom