Best sounding tenor?

DreamerZz

Reaction score
Which tenor appeals to you guys the most? (soundwise and lookwise)

some that come to mind are

Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea, mya moe, collings, etc.

Last edited:
Moore Bettah ... oops, sorry! Actually there are a number of builders whom I would love to get a tenor from and since you threw in Collings & Mya Moe, I figured why not a Moore Bettah.

For looks, Kamaka. For sound, I'd give the edge to KoAloha. But then, I've never really played a Moore Bettah and those are highly coveted - but also crazy hard to get. So for something more readily available, I'd say KoAloha. Though I prefer the looks of a Kamaka, the sound of a KoAloha is wonderful, and their customer service is by far the best.

I covet a compass rose !!! isnt that a deadly sin lol.

Depends if you are talking about premimum off the rack or customs...depends on your budget...
I choose ukes individually by their sound first.....not by their brand.. you can never tell..there are so many variances..

There is no correct answer to this question. You need to play them and find the one that speaks to you. Although the Ks all make good ukuleles they don't all sound the same. Search and you shall find.

The Blackbird carbon fiber sounds as good as any I've heard or own. Very mellow and when pushed, can be loud. The most often asked question when someone sees it is, "What's that?" So far, everyone that's played it is impressed. Actually, I like every uke I own, even the little Kala KA-S.

I agree - all a matter of taste. I love all the Ks . . . including a few Kalas which defy their reasonable price. I say, go and play. Doesn't really matter what you play, as long as you play it!

The Blackbird carbon fiber sounds as good as any I've heard or own. Very mellow and when pushed, can be loud. The most often asked question when someone sees it is, "What's that?" So far, everyone that's played it is impressed. Actually, I like every uke I own, even the little Kala KA-S.

Have you tried a high-g on the Blackbird?

A question: is this an editorial comment or a true inquiry? Do you think that the Blackbird is faulty?

It is a true inquiry, I guess it didn't come off as one. Suppose I need to use more words. I have seen a few videos of it and was pretty impressed, but the
Blackbird is always tuned low-g in them and I am a high-g kind of guy. I live in Northern Japan and out weather is nuts. I have a CA guitar which does well with the extreme weather, but the ukes stay in a climate controlled room. So, it could be a prefect uke, if it sounds good with a high-g.

I'm loving my Collings Mahog tenor. Took a couple months to open up a bit but man, that little guy can sing!
k

Which tenor appeals to you guys the most? (soundwise and lookwise)

some that come to mind are

Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea, mya moe, collings, etc.

I may be in a minority of one, but I have grown very fond of the aNueNue O'ahu tenor. It looks really nice (classic look - no rosette, purfling, ornate fretboard inlay and just a simple MOP headstock inlay), great grain, nice honey-colored solid koa front, back & sides, and the sound is very sweet.

Other than that, I totally dig the look of KoAloha. Their logo is kickass, and their crowned head and neck is just really cool.

do you have about 14 minutes to chill and watch some ukulele genesis goin' on?

here's papa koaloha (alvin okami) who started koaloha give his opinion on "the best sounding tenor."

http://vimeo.com/2492869

his answer? the koaloha tenor sceptre. dream-designed. seriously.

Top Bottom