PDA

View Full Version : Best sounding tenor?

DreamerZz
07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Which tenor appeals to you guys the most? (soundwise and lookwise)

some that come to mind are

Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea, mya moe, collings, etc.

Kanaka916
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Moore Bettah ... oops, sorry! Actually there are a number of builders whom I would love to get a tenor from and since you threw in Collings & Mya Moe, I figured why not a Moore Bettah.

wickedwahine11
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
For looks, Kamaka. For sound, I'd give the edge to KoAloha. But then, I've never really played a Moore Bettah and those are highly coveted - but also crazy hard to get. So for something more readily available, I'd say KoAloha. Though I prefer the looks of a Kamaka, the sound of a KoAloha is wonderful, and their customer service is by far the best.

iDavid
07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
For Low-g: Compass Rose
High-g: Kanile'a sound moinster

poppy
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I covet a compass rose !!! isnt that a deadly sin lol.

erivel
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Pohaku tenors!

kissing
07-29-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm going to be rebellious and say Risa steel-string electric tenors through a Marshall amp

mm stan
07-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Depends if you are talking about premimum off the rack or customs...depends on your budget...
I choose ukes individually by their sound first.....not by their brand.. you can never tell..there are so many variances..

hapuna
07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
There is no correct answer to this question. You need to play them and find the one that speaks to you. Although the Ks all make good ukuleles they don't all sound the same. Search and you shall find.

garywj
07-29-2011, 07:38 PM
The Blackbird carbon fiber sounds as good as any I've heard or own. Very mellow and when pushed, can be loud. The most often asked question when someone sees it is, "What's that?" So far, everyone that's played it is impressed. Actually, I like every uke I own, even the little Kala KA-S.

ukunuke
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree - all a matter of taste. I love all the Ks . . . including a few Kalas which defy their reasonable price. I say, go and play. Doesn't really matter what you play, as long as you play it!

iDavid
07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
The Blackbird carbon fiber sounds as good as any I've heard or own. Very mellow and when pushed, can be loud. The most often asked question when someone sees it is, "What's that?" So far, everyone that's played it is impressed. Actually, I like every uke I own, even the little Kala KA-S.

Have you tried a high-g on the Blackbird?

saltytri
07-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Have you tried a high-g on the Blackbird?

A question: is this an editorial comment or a true inquiry? Do you think that the Blackbird is faulty?

iDavid
07-30-2011, 05:01 AM
A question: is this an editorial comment or a true inquiry? Do you think that the Blackbird is faulty?

It is a true inquiry, I guess it didn't come off as one. Suppose I need to use more words. I have seen a few videos of it and was pretty impressed, but the
Blackbird is always tuned low-g in them and I am a high-g kind of guy. I live in Northern Japan and out weather is nuts. I have a CA guitar which does well with the extreme weather, but the ukes stay in a climate controlled room. So, it could be a prefect uke, if it sounds good with a high-g.

grownupboy
07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm loving my Collings Mahog tenor. Took a couple months to open up a bit but man, that little guy can sing!
k

PoiDog
07-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Which tenor appeals to you guys the most? (soundwise and lookwise)

some that come to mind are

Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea, mya moe, collings, etc.

I may be in a minority of one, but I have grown very fond of the aNueNue O'ahu tenor. It looks really nice (classic look - no rosette, purfling, ornate fretboard inlay and just a simple MOP headstock inlay), great grain, nice honey-colored solid koa front, back & sides, and the sound is very sweet.

Other than that, I totally dig the look of KoAloha. Their logo is kickass, and their crowned head and neck is just really cool.

strumsilly
07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Other than that, I totally dig the look of KoAloha. Their logo is kickass, and their crowned head and neck is just really cool.
So is their crowned bridge, and they sound pretty sweet too.

3nails4holes
07-30-2011, 03:38 PM
do you have about 14 minutes to chill and watch some ukulele genesis goin' on?

here's papa koaloha (alvin okami) who started koaloha give his opinion on "the best sounding tenor."

http://vimeo.com/2492869

his answer? the koaloha tenor sceptre. dream-designed. seriously.

poppy
07-30-2011, 04:11 PM
When did loudest become best sounding?

Dan Uke
07-30-2011, 04:18 PM
do you have about 14 minutes to chill and watch some ukulele genesis goin' on?

here's papa koaloha (alvin okami) who started koaloha give his opinion on "the best sounding tenor."

http://vimeo.com/2492869

his answer? the koaloha tenor sceptre. dream-designed. seriously.

I thought he was going to say Kamaka!! hehe

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-30-2011, 04:27 PM
That I've played?

Collings

(I haven't had the chance to play many nice tenors, though.)

garywj
07-30-2011, 04:43 PM
No. It's the only uke I have that is low-g, so I've not thought of changing it.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-30-2011, 05:08 PM
When did loudest become best sounding?

Haha! Isn't that sad that the two qualities are often confused? I mean really, banjos are loud! :)

fabioponta
07-30-2011, 06:58 PM
For each day, every song, every hand, there is one.
You can find a smile makala in a day, and your hand can fall for a Kamaka. Your ear should be the most subjective, and it all depends on how much you can convince yourself of something.

Loud volume is really something else.

iDavid
07-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Haha! Isn't that sad that the two qualities are often confused? I mean really, banjos are loud! :)

True, but a muffled quiet uke is a nightmare.

fumanshu
07-31-2011, 02:46 AM
There's really no best or best sounding uke...It is such a matter of taste of how you like your uke sound like. What might be the best for one will not be the taste of another... But for sure, when you find a really really good sounding uke, there's a lot of chance that it might sound also good for another person....but again, it is so subjective....

For me, my UAS is almost finish... After owning all the K's brand and having different customs, I ended to play the most with MP and with what I would call as my ''last uke'' the Luis Feu de Mesquita custom tenor.

The Luis Feu is really magical and I already start to sell most of my ukes to only keep the MPs and Luis Feu de Mesquita.

I think there's a lot of good ukes and it's only by playing and trying a lot of ukes that you really know what you're after and want your uke to sound and play like.

I think my UAS will only come back for a Chuck Moore or William King or the Mya Moe lap steel reso.

70sSanO
07-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Duke Kahanamoku.

Not only does the Duke Kahanamoku represent the finest in tourist ukuleles it is the only K brand that has its name plastered across the soundboard. The main sound characteristics are a lack on sustain and a monotone type of timbre resulting is the perfect blending of low and high notes as a single tone.

The tenor size, also referred to as kiko'o, is somewhat rare. Many of these ukuleles are relatively unplayed and can be found in closets, garages, and storage sheds in the midwest; held as a memento of that once-in-a-lifetime trip to the islands.

John

uke4ia
07-31-2011, 01:44 PM
I stopped trying the other tenors after I got a Kawika. I've never fallen out of love with it. Sadly, Mr. Hurd has retired from luthiery.

Hippie Dribble
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
I haven't played many, but the Mya Moe walnut tenor I own is one of the sweetest sounding ukes I've ever played.

garywj
07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
That I've played?

Collings

(I haven't had the chance to play many nice tenors, though.)

I agree. Collings sound and playability stand out.

GX9901
08-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Of the tenors I've played, I give my Koa Works tenor top billings for sound, edging out my William King tenor.

Manalishi
08-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Surely this is a 'how long is a piece of string'
question? Preference to any uke will be based
on personal opinion,NOT a quantifiable thing
that can be passed on? Many ukes that I have
played have been despised by lots of folk,but I
have found them okay and well playable.Then
of course,you get the big name,big hype ones
that frankly,can be rubbish! Horses for courses,
No?

RichM
08-01-2011, 07:40 AM
The answer has been given many times, but I'll jump in anyway. There is no such thing as the "best sounding uke." It will always be based on the player's preference. I own several good tenor ukes, and each is wonderful in it's own way. When you've got a Mya-Moe, a Maui Music, a Koaloha Super Concert (honorary tenor due to its tenor scale :) ) Luis Feu de Mesquita Ukaferri, and even the more modest Kala cedar-top, it's impossible to call one better than the other. The Kala wasn't terribly expensive, but it sounds wonderful. The Maui Music has a nice traditional ukey tone and strums beautifully. The Mya-Moe is mellow and magical. The Koaloha is a beast, very loud and happy. And the Mesquita is completely unique, as good an instrument as I've ever played (and believe me, I've played a few). Eventually pure dollars and cents will make me give some of them up, but until then, I love 'em all. I've played some I didn't love (which I won't list here), including at least one brand that gets scads of praise here but doesn't do it for me. But obviously, that brand makes lots of players very happy, so the worst mistake they ever could have made is listening to my opinion.

Play em all. You'll find the one that speaks to you. If you read the UU Forums, it won't take long to figure out which brands make a lot of people happy. But that doesn't make them right for you.

UkeKid32
08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Which tenor sounds closest to jakes signature kamaka? I just cant get over how clear and pure his uke sounds

RichM
08-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Which tenor sounds closest to jakes signature kamaka? I just cant get over how clear and pure his uke sounds

I think Jake's hands might have a little something to do with the sound of his uke... :)

I used to take lessons with banjo great Tony Trischka. Tony played a high-end Stelling Sunflower, while I played a modest Fender import banjo. At one point, Tony had me switch banjos with him to make a point. In Tony's hands, my modest import sounded a lot like his high-end Stelling; and sadly, in my hands, his wonderful Stelling sounded an awful lot like my Fender...