Awesome Early 50's Favilla Baritone

bigdog1002

Reaction score
The most amazing 1950’s Favilla Baritone Ukelele ever! I’m looking for a good home for this fine piece of ukulele art. Are you the right person?

Serial Number 10014. The wood is mahogany, and has aged to a sweet patina.
This piece appears to be barely used. There is crazing in the finish but no finish is missing. As with anything 60 years old it does have a few minor dings and scratches but no cracks. See attached photos and link to more photos at flicker for the complete story....

30+ Photos

Also Included is the original baritone method and song book, guarantee card, felt pick and several sets of vintage ukelele strings. The case even still has original packing material. Seriously, this ukulele was hardly used ( perhaps it was a gift that went unappreciated ) but today it is a gift to anyone with an eye for the beauty and happiness a ukulele can bring.

This ukulele is ready, cleaned and hand buffed to make the patina show its full luster ( I used Dunlop 65). Currently, it is strung with a full set of D’Addario classical guitar strings per the recommendation of my local luthier. I got this uke along with a soprano I really wanted. I just can't get used to the baritone tuning and it is too nice to just sit in a case so I decided to sell. No adjustments were made to the action so you can decide what you want. If you want to hear this piece of Hawaiian heaven let me know and I can email you some sound clips.

Price $525.00 plus shipping.
PM or email me at elieberman(at)msn.com.

Thank you

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 69
  • HeadStock.jpg
    HeadStock.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Extras.jpg
    Extras.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I've got one and love it. I wouldn't sell myself unless I absolutely had too.

It's a beauty. The action appears to be very high. How high is the D string off the frets at the 12th fret? Thanks.

The action is between .16 and .165 on the D at the 12th But it is also high ( .06 ) at the 1st. I was going to bring it down to about .11 .12 but decided to let the new owner decide what they prefer.

UPDATE

I got a few emails and a response on the forum questioning the height of the action so I decided to do something about it. The instrument is now at Youngblood Music Workshop in Guildford, CT getting the nut and saddle adjusted. I will get the ukulele back at the end of the week and will report back to the forum with the new string height at the 12th fret.

UPDATE

I got the Ukulele back from the shop yesterday and the action is MUCH better. It is now .100 at the 12th and .03 at the 1st fret. It is much more playable. I am enjoying it so much that I am thinking about keeping it. I am going to lower the price to $500 plus shipping costs for one week. If it does not sell then it stays.

Thanks

If it doesn't sell you might try Southcoast Linear strings on it, tuned to C. Have them on my Gibson bari and they sound really nice. Good luck with your sale. I already have 3 baritones with one on the way or I'd be interested, got a Favilla once but it came with a broken neck so i returned it. bet it sounds a lot like the Gibson.

Top Bottom