Anyone ever hear of Bugsgears eleuke?

Ukulele_Junkie

Reaction score
Well my friend told me something about some electric ukulele that was all hollow and light, and some guy in a band had it. So i think it was this. Thought i'd share with everyone cuz this thing is really cool. It's a japanese company i guess and their products are really unique. The eleuke is a big thing for them rite now.

BugsGear ELEuke

94e5_1.JPG

ive heard of them. and i want one. i dont know how light it is. its not all hollow. the only hollow parts are the housings for the potentiometers and the other pickup components. but i still want one.

only thing i dont like about them right now is the body size on the tenors. they seem like concert size bodies on tenor scale necks. so it looks kinda funny. the concert sized ones look great though. but im a tenor guy.

check out what musicguymic has on ebay. he usually has em on there for really good prices.

well i think this was 289.00 on ebay they went as high as 400+ tho, but like nuke said they are all like concert sized and its probably gonna have to take some time to get use to it. I really want one tho, but i'm good with my acoustic for now.

I have a concert Eleuke with built-in active pickup, exactly like the one pictured on the first post. These things are solid body ukes and are not light. Not too heavy, but definitely heavier than the average concert ukulele.

These are pretty nice ukes but mine had fret ends that sticked out just a little bit past the edge and did not feel good when you run your hand throught the edge of the fretboard. I recently got a fret file from Stewmac.com to clean that up and it feels a lot better to play now. I also had a Risa uke stick and I would say I like these a little better just because it has a uke shaped body. The volume and tone control on my particular model are nice to have as well. But the fret ends were a big minus for me and while in Hawaii last month, I checked out a few Eleukes and some suffers from the same problem. So in that regard they are kind of hit-or-miss.

Other than that, they're well made ukes and I think they are worth the going rate of around $250-$350. MGM has some newer models that has an extra jack for headphones. Those are even cheaper and probably are a great buy. I wish I waited until those came out.

I just purchased one from musicguymic for $209 shipped...I can't wait to get it! But I guess that means I need to buy an amp now too!

I have an Eleuke on its way to me as we speak. I'll let you know what it's like.

I've heard someone else had the same fret end problem that GX mentioned.

I played one locally, but not plugged in. The neck has a nice feel to it. The store either took care of the fret issue, or it was a better example than some of the others.

Risa's are very cool too.

I own one of their sandalwood tenors... and absolutely love it.

The thing is near indestructible, nice sounding, and rather practical (the built in headphone jack allows for silent practice, but when you amp it up... 'tis not so silent....)

My only complaint lies in the workmanship: there were numerous dings in it... chips out of the fret board... minor aesthetic details.

It is, however, a great instrument.

ha wow u guys brought back one of my older threads like when i first joined here. ha good stuff

if it was more than a month and a half old, I wouldn't have brought it back up...
so I don't consider my post exactly digging up the dinosaur.

what 'chu got homie?
right now the only one i can consider selling is my kala. the one i converted from 6 string to 4 string. the only thing is, i broke the pickup. it was giving me crap to begin with, so i tried something that i should have known better than to try. i was going to see if the undersaddle condenser could be used straight wired to the phone jack as a passive pickup. its just that its an active pickup, so the condenser doesnt work without power. i will probably be replacing the pickup altogether anyway. so when i do, its probably going to be going up for sale.

only thing is, if i put a new pickup in, its not going to be some cheap shadow. which means, im probably going to be forced to sell it for more than it costs new ($335 from musicguymic as a 6 string with shadow active 9V pickup). most likely i will install a fishman or LR Baggs. what you would be getting is a heavier than normal kala koa tenor (because of the "pickguards") with a wider neck and wider string spacing (great for picking and alleviates fat finger syndrome touching other strings while holding chords down), setup with pretty low action, upgraded to TUSQ nut and saddle. basically a one of a kind uke that is more performance than aesthetics. but that is IF i actually decide to let her go after putting a new baddass pickup in her. haha i may have to keep her and use her for performances if it just sounds too kickass when plugged in.

Musicguymic has the distribution rights for America for Bugsgear ukes. He was telling me about it. Actually now that I think about it... I have to email him about something...

well he's blowing them out right now! i can't wait to receive mine!

has anyone messed with those guitar to USB cables? i am wondering if my computer would suffice as an amp! My girlfriend is going to have to put a stop to my ukulele problem...that or join me! She's part Hawaiian too!

I wouldn't bother with the USB cable... just hook her up directly into the line in on the computer, and away you go.

Really, really sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought one from eBay for £150. It's stunning, but there's a problem with the pickup in that the sound when hooked up to headphones or an amp pops and crackles in fits and starts, in that sometimes it won't even register when I strum a string.

Obviously I'm sending it back for a replacement, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm gutted because it's taken a week to get here and is my Christmas present :(

Top Bottom