PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of Bugsgears eleuke?

Ukulele_Junkie
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Well my friend told me something about some electric ukulele that was all hollow and light, and some guy in a band had it. So i think it was this. Thought i'd share with everyone cuz this thing is really cool. It's a japanese company i guess and their products are really unique. The eleuke is a big thing for them rite now.

BugsGear ELEuke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1vWSFpweMk)

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/cc/78/94e5_1.JPG

NukeDOC
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
ive heard of them. and i want one. i dont know how light it is. its not all hollow. the only hollow parts are the housings for the potentiometers and the other pickup components. but i still want one.

only thing i dont like about them right now is the body size on the tenors. they seem like concert size bodies on tenor scale necks. so it looks kinda funny. the concert sized ones look great though. but im a tenor guy.

check out what musicguymic has on ebay. he usually has em on there for really good prices.

Misguided Musician
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
looks pretty intiresting. How much do these eleukes go for?

Ukulele_Junkie
02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
well i think this was 289.00 on ebay they went as high as 400+ tho, but like nuke said they are all like concert sized and its probably gonna have to take some time to get use to it. I really want one tho, but i'm good with my acoustic for now.

GX9901
02-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a concert Eleuke with built-in active pickup, exactly like the one pictured on the first post. These things are solid body ukes and are not light. Not too heavy, but definitely heavier than the average concert ukulele.

These are pretty nice ukes but mine had fret ends that sticked out just a little bit past the edge and did not feel good when you run your hand throught the edge of the fretboard. I recently got a fret file from Stewmac.com to clean that up and it feels a lot better to play now. I also had a Risa uke stick and I would say I like these a little better just because it has a uke shaped body. The volume and tone control on my particular model are nice to have as well. But the fret ends were a big minus for me and while in Hawaii last month, I checked out a few Eleukes and some suffers from the same problem. So in that regard they are kind of hit-or-miss.

Other than that, they're well made ukes and I think they are worth the going rate of around $250-$350. MGM has some newer models that has an extra jack for headphones. Those are even cheaper and probably are a great buy. I wish I waited until those came out.

grappler
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
yep ive heard of them!! fro japan.

hotnanas
03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I just purchased one from musicguymic for $209 shipped...I can't wait to get it! But I guess that means I need to buy an amp now too!

bof
03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Heard of them, too. But I would stick to RISAs concerning E-Ukes.

NukeDOC
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
i want one so bad right now. but i cant justify it till i sell one of my ukes.

Woodshed
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
I have an Eleuke on its way to me as we speak. I'll let you know what it's like.

I've heard someone else had the same fret end problem that GX mentioned.

studentaccount1
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
I played one locally, but not plugged in. The neck has a nice feel to it. The store either took care of the fret issue, or it was a better example than some of the others.

Risa's are very cool too.

Ian Boys
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I own one of their sandalwood tenors... and absolutely love it.

The thing is near indestructible, nice sounding, and rather practical (the built in headphone jack allows for silent practice, but when you amp it up... 'tis not so silent....)

My only complaint lies in the workmanship: there were numerous dings in it... chips out of the fret board... minor aesthetic details.

It is, however, a great instrument.

hotnanas
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
i want one so bad right now. but i cant justify it till i sell one of my ukes.

what 'chu got homie?

Ukulele_Junkie
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
ha wow u guys brought back one of my older threads like when i first joined here. ha good stuff

hotnanas
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
if it was more than a month and a half old, I wouldn't have brought it back up...
so I don't consider my post exactly digging up the dinosaur.

NukeDOC
03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
what 'chu got homie?
right now the only one i can consider selling is my kala. the one i converted from 6 string to 4 string. the only thing is, i broke the pickup. it was giving me crap to begin with, so i tried something that i should have known better than to try. i was going to see if the undersaddle condenser could be used straight wired to the phone jack as a passive pickup. its just that its an active pickup, so the condenser doesnt work without power. i will probably be replacing the pickup altogether anyway. so when i do, its probably going to be going up for sale.

only thing is, if i put a new pickup in, its not going to be some cheap shadow. which means, im probably going to be forced to sell it for more than it costs new ($335 from musicguymic as a 6 string with shadow active 9V pickup). most likely i will install a fishman or LR Baggs. what you would be getting is a heavier than normal kala koa tenor (because of the "pickguards") with a wider neck and wider string spacing (great for picking and alleviates fat finger syndrome touching other strings while holding chords down), setup with pretty low action, upgraded to TUSQ nut and saddle. basically a one of a kind uke that is more performance than aesthetics. but that is IF i actually decide to let her go after putting a new baddass pickup in her. haha i may have to keep her and use her for performances if it just sounds too kickass when plugged in.

rayan
03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Musicguymic has the distribution rights for America for Bugsgear ukes. He was telling me about it. Actually now that I think about it... I have to email him about something...

hotnanas
03-14-2008, 02:02 AM
well he's blowing them out right now! i can't wait to receive mine!

has anyone messed with those guitar to USB cables? i am wondering if my computer would suffice as an amp! My girlfriend is going to have to put a stop to my ukulele problem...that or join me! She's part Hawaiian too!

Ian Boys
03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't bother with the USB cable... just hook her up directly into the line in on the computer, and away you go.

byjimini
12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Really, really sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought one from eBay for 150. It's stunning, but there's a problem with the pickup in that the sound when hooked up to headphones or an amp pops and crackles in fits and starts, in that sometimes it won't even register when I strum a string.

Obviously I'm sending it back for a replacement, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm gutted because it's taken a week to get here and is my Christmas present :(

NukeDOC
12-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Really, really sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought one from eBay for 150. It's stunning, but there's a problem with the pickup in that the sound when hooked up to headphones or an amp pops and crackles in fits and starts, in that sometimes it won't even register when I strum a string.

Obviously I'm sending it back for a replacement, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm gutted because it's taken a week to get here and is my Christmas present :(

before you send it back, lets see if we can diagnose the problem. first thing's first... and it may sound elementary, but did you try to put in a new battery yet? if not, try it and see what happens then let us know how things are going.

byjimini
12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Yeah I've used 5 new batteries; Duracell, Energizer, you name it (and 9v ones before anyone asks!). Also tried 4 different leads on 4 different amps (my dad and brother are guitar players) as well as a few different headphones - the same result every time.

I'm waiting on a reply from the seller, who has glowing feedback, before sending it back. Google doesn't seem to throw up any relevant answers to my problem either so I'm maybe thinking it's isolated, rather than me spending £150 on a dud copy or clone :P

It really is a stunning instrument, but sadly inconvenient :(

Will_the_padrino
12-08-2008, 07:51 AM
i prefer risa uke sticks... there so small u can carry it in ur pocks... use a poket amp and headfones and u can rock ur uke anywhere... like the bus, at work, (in lessons) its really very quiet on the outside.

NukeDOC
12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah I've used 5 new batteries; Duracell, Energizer, you name it (and 9v ones before anyone asks!). Also tried 4 different leads on 4 different amps (my dad and brother are guitar players) as well as a few different headphones - the same result every time.

I'm waiting on a reply from the seller, who has glowing feedback, before sending it back. Google doesn't seem to throw up any relevant answers to my problem either so I'm maybe thinking it's isolated, rather than me spending £150 on a dud copy or clone :P

It really is a stunning instrument, but sadly inconvenient :(
ok the fact that your dad and brother are guitar players is GOOD TO KNOW. see if they can help you on what you can do next.

but before i start, i gotta give a disclaimer... do this ONLY IF YOU, YOUR DAD, OR YOUR BROTHER ARE CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO PERFORM THIS.

there are some plastic plates in the back of your instrument. if any of you are good with electronics, if you look at the wiring inside, once you take off the plastic covers, you may be able to see if there is a loose wire, or a bad connect or something that would cause weirdness. plug in your instrument, and start wiggling wires CAREFULLY. when you wiggle a wire, take note of the reaction from the amp. if you hear differences, try strumming. try ANYTHING. this is basically to see if there is a faulty wire or to see which wire may have a bad connection.

since you stated that you are getting the same problems with both the main output jack AND the headphone jack, i am betting that the problem lies with the wiring between the pickup and the potentiometers.

after doing all this, if you find the faulty wire, see what you can do. if you are a handyman these fixes arent that complicated. if you are not handy with electronics and solder, you can take it to someone who is. and they can try rewiring it for you (this is only to save money on sending it back and paying all those horrible taxes that you have to put up with across the pond). but...

if you simply cannot find where the problem lies after doing all this, then i would say it is worth it to just send it back to the seller. for a replacement or repair.

byjimini
12-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks muchly for the information :) We've debated whether or not to, and to be honest I don't want to give the seller an excuse not to refund me by tinkering with the electronics. That said, we've found someone who'll help us do it (restores guitars for a living) on Thursday if we haven't already sent it back.

Thanks again!

byjimini
12-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Just to update, I'm sending it back for repair (or refund). I took the back off and there's a wire covered in some sort of material that buzzes through the amp whever it's moved. Taking it out of its little hidey-hole solved the problem somewhat but the sound becomes distorted whenever you raise the volume, and the volume levels are very sudden instead of gradual.

To be honest I'm not best pleased with the build quality, especially for this sort of money. The wood and finish is remarkable but the electronics underneath look like a back-garden job, and I know this is the real thing and not a clone. The thing that's keeping me form blowing my top is not hearing other stories on the internet about the Eleuke and poor sound quality, so I'm certain that this is just a one-off.

But still, how this one slipped through the quality check I'll never know, especially for £150. Many thanks for the help and info :)

ukulelemotion
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
i just ordered a BUGSGEAR ROSEWOOD TENOR from MGM. cant wait to get it.. this dam DAS is killing me.. they really need a patch or something for it.. haha

Kaneohe til the end
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
i just ordered a BUGSGEAR ROSEWOOD TENOR from MGM. cant wait to get it.. this dam DAS is killing me.. they really need a patch or something for it.. haha

i think you mean UAS

Link
01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
DAS = delivery aquisition syndrome.

ukulelemotion
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
i think you mean UAS

nope sorry.. thanks link for clearing it up.. i currently have DAS.. but if UAS stands for Ukulele Addiction Syndrome.. then i've had it for a while.. haha.

SailQwest
01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I got a Bugsgear concert from MGM this fall. I really like it, and Rich liked it so much that we ended up getting him a tenor.

I played my Eleuke on-stage for the first time on Tuesday. It was great! :D

bensontaylor
01-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Hey I just found Eleuke on amazon.com They seem to have a bunch of models.
know I just have to decide which one to buy!

ichadwick
01-22-2009, 08:46 AM
...some electric ukulele that was all hollow and light
http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukulele/eleuke_01.jpg

It's solid body, but some sections are cut out to make it lighter (besides, it doesn't need the full sustain). Nice instrument, but lacks the bright, woody sound of an acoustic uke.

nicthejew22
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
What kinds of amps is everyone using for these? The Uke Player for my band just ordered one, and we are looking for a good amp to use?

casarole45
01-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I'm not into the sound of electric uke's but I have to admit I nearly bought one on the pure beauty and craftmanship.... this is the one to get (TI200-SOHP (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/data/040.zip)):drool:

eleukeusa
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey Guys,
Check out EleukeUSA.com for quality models available in the US. We've got dealers and sites listed in the "where to buy" section.

Most (hopefully all) of the quality issues have been resolved as the manufacturer has switched factories for production and everything looks, feels and sounds really good.

CountryMouse
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey Guys,
Check out EleukeUSA.com for quality models available in the US. We've got dealers and sites listed in the "where to buy" section.

Most (hopefully all) of the quality issues have been resolved as the manufacturer has switched factories for production and everything looks, feels and sounds really good.

When our tax refund hits, I'm getting a pineapple soprano Eleuke! A friend has been letting me borrow his tenor Eleuke to see if I liked it, and I do--it's just a little too big and heavy for a tiny mouse. Right now, this very minute, I wish I had my Eleuke! DH is asleep and I want to play NOW! If I had one now, I could just plug in headphones and off I'd go! :D

CountryMouse