PDA

View Full Version : new guy needs help please

mollski
07-30-2011, 09:44 AM
hi ive never had a ukulele before,so ive joined the forum,can somebody tell me a good uke to start with please,nice size has well please ,has im a big guy and would not feel right with the ultra small ukes ive seen ,thank you for your help and time

ItsMrPitchy
07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
What are your funds? There are plenty of ukes around so if you give us your budget then we can give plenty of suggestions.

If you want a big uke go for a tenor or baritone. Hope this helps.

mollski
07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
ive got around 50 to spend on a 2nd hand one if poss ?

3nails4holes
07-30-2011, 11:10 AM
with that budget mollski, you run into a problem.

if you get a junk uke and play for 2-3 months, you'll quit because you think that you stink at it and hate the uke. y'know what? it might be you. or it might just be that you were doing everything right, but the instrument itself was terrible.

i'd suggest at least $125/87 euros for a decent first instrument. also, if you get a decent one and hate the uke (highly unlikely), then you will have a better chance to recoup some of your losses by selling a better uke.

if you're saying pounds, then i'm not sure what you have access to where you are. but i'd suggest a good lanikai or kala tenor to start with. if size is an issue for you, then that will give you more finger room due to the larger fret gap size.

go with a solid top if you can get it. there are very good laminates these days that may rival solids in sound (as a recent mgm post demonstrated), but in the long run, solid tops age better. of course, if you're lifestyle is a bit more rough & tumble, then a lam-top will suit you better and be slightly cheaper.

cheers!

mollski
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
hey 3nails4holes thats a great bit of advice many thanks for your reply i will do just that thanks again

3nails4holes
07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
you're welcome! happy strumming! let us all know what you eventually get.

RawrGazzawrs
07-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I suggest the makala ukuleles. theyre the starter level ukuleles made by Kala.
if you dont want the soprano(smallest) then maybe a concert or tenor sized with tenor being bigger than concert.
but the baritone is the biggest but tuned differently than the usual GCEA. Go to a local music store and if they have any ukuleles try the different sizes to see what fits you best. and if there isnt one nearby, then i guess you could find some pictures of ukuleles that have something else in the picture to compare it to online...

mollski
08-01-2011, 07:30 AM
RAWRGAZZAWRS many thnaks for the reply and help

kenikas
08-01-2011, 07:56 AM
I agree with what Rawrgazzawrs said, check out the Makala ukes. We have several and I've played quite a few and find they sound better than the lower end Kala or Lanikai models. They're a bit plain looking but they play nicely, though definately benifit from a string upgrade to Aquila or Worth strings, the GHS they come with are rather dull sounding IMO. If you can get to a shop and try a few you certainly should to find which size works best for you.

hoosierhiver
08-01-2011, 08:08 AM
See if there is a music store near you with a uke selection. That way you can try the different sizes and see what feels comfortable for you before you order.

mollski
08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
ok guys imgoing for a Makala tenor because of the size ,i think this would be good for me to start on,any advice??

Huna
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I have a Makala Tenor and I like it very much.

Johnny's Rash
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I just bought my first uke, had similar concerns. I tried all of the sizes in the store and like the tenor. I brought my son (who is a musician) and had him play for me (I am not), which helped as well. I also went by what felt good and comfortable. Settled on a Lanikai CK-TEQ. Was out of my original price range, but found a great deal and fell in love with it.

NordicUke
08-04-2011, 02:17 AM
I agree with 3nails4holes about the budget. up the price with 30-40 and you've got yourself a pretty nice Ukulele!
Like this one is pretty nice, and in the UK as well :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kala-KA-ST-Solid-Sitka-Spruce-Top-Tenor-Ukulele-/330584970422?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item4cf86654b6#ht_2801wt_1140

or this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kala-KA-TEM-Exotic-Mahogany-Tenor-Ukulele-NEW-/330584970461?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item4cf86654dd#ht_2801wt_1140

And I'm a Tenor guy, it's the size I like the most. Go to a music store to test which size fits you best! :)