New (used) ukulele day!

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'd been looking for a Kamaka baritone for a while and saw a couple on the website for Gryphon Stringed Instruments. However, the day before I planned to go, a 2005 Kamaka tenor showed up on the website, so when I went to play the baritones, I also played this one. Although it was used (and was selling for much lower price than a new one), it looked brand new, had a wonderful voice, and had an unusual grain pattern on its sides. I ended up buying it! The Gryphon Strings people threw in a set of low-g Worth clears and restrung the ukulele for me (the old strings appeared to be re-entrant Aquilas). It's a nice complement to the Kamaka tenor I bought in Kaua'i in April.

Here are some photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gryphon is a fun field trip any time, but to walk away with this is spectacular! Those sides are BEAUTIFUL.

Wow, those are gorgeous! Twins! And I love the grain pattern :D Happy New Uke Day :music::music: Enjoy getting to know you're new Ukes and be sure to give us a sound sample if you can, would love to hear how they sound as one high and one low G - I'm assuming that's what you'll use, correct me if I'm wrong!

Joey :music:

Those sides are gorgeous! Congratulations!

I'm very curious about sound differences between twins... would you mind sharing a comparison of both ukuleles' sounds with us in a few weeks?

beautiful. I love that grain pattern on the side. It looks wrinkled. I am especially drawn to a distinct stripy grain on the sides.
Congratulations!

Nice, it has the appearance that they are a little deeper than other tenors ? is that that true? curious if that is perhaps where the famous mellow comes from? now all you with twins are required to part with one soon to help support others with UAS lol.

Mate, it's a beautiful kamaka, model CKS
Crazy Koa Sides...
Amazing!!!

Did you try any other ukes while you were at Gryphon? Say,,,that Hive tenor they have? Or the Favilla Baritone? The Collings tenor? The Compass Rose Sycamore? I think it's time for a trip to Palo Alto.

Congrats, it is a beauty. Are you doing one low g and one of them high g?

Wow, those are gorgeous! Twins! And I love the grain pattern :D Happy New Uke Day. Enjoy getting to know you're new Ukes and be sure to give us a sound sample if you can, would love to hear how they sound as one high and one low G - I'm assuming that's what you'll use, correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks, Staci and Joey! The 2005 uke is strung low G with worth clears; the other uke still has the strings Kamaka put on it. I like that the Worth clear low G is not wound, but the Worths sound a little quiet to me. I'll probably experiment. Sound sample ... that means making a video. Yikes!

I'm very curious about sound differences between twins... would you mind sharing a comparison of both ukuleles' sounds with us in a few weeks?

I've been a bit shy about making ukulele videos, but I agree that a comparison of the two ukuleles would be interesting. They do have different strings, though (Kamaka factory installed re-entrant on the 2010 ukulele, Worth clears low G on the 2005 uke). It would be fun to put the same strings on both to see how they differ with everything other than the uke itself eliminated as a variable. I'll try to overcome my fear of being recorded to post some sort of sound sample, but it may take a while.

beautiful. I love that grain pattern on the side. It looks wrinkled. I am especially drawn to a distinct stripy grain on the sides.
Congratulations!

Thanks, Roxanne. It was the stripy grain on the side that caught my attention on Gryphon's website. The wavy grain near the bottom looks to me like the wood has been draped over the side of the uke. I don't think I was able to capture this in my photos, but from a certain angle, it looks three-dimensional.

Nice, it has the appearance that they are a little deeper than other tenors ? is that that true? curious if that is perhaps where the famous mellow comes from? now all you with twins are required to part with one soon to help support others with UAS lol.

I'm not sure about the depth. It feels a little deeper than my Big Island Honu tenor, and I believe it may be a little deeper than the Kanile'as I've played. I'll have to compare the next time I play it in a group.

Gryphon is a fun field trip any time, but to walk away with this is spectacular! Those sides are BEAUTIFUL.

Did you try any other ukes while you were at Gryphon? Say,,,that Hive tenor they have? Or the Favilla Baritone? The Collings tenor? The Compass Rose Sycamore? I think it's time for a trip to Palo Alto.

I really like Gryphon. I even met Tom, who makes the ukulele sound samples. Mary, I didn't see the Hive tenor while I was there. I played the Collings and Compass Rose tenors. They're very nice instruments. And I did play the Favilla Baritone. I loved it and thought about buying it. As you like to say, Mmmmm .... baritone! I actually have my heart set on one of the Kamaka baritones.

Last edited:
Aloha Mark,
Wow wee just love your twins...Congratulations..which one sounds better..or what are the differences....thanks for sharing..MM Stan You lucky guy!!

Top Bottom