Uke Minutes 23 - Chunking

Haha, no problem man. We filmed this one awhile ago and while I was busy cutting it up and making it pretty, you ended up asking the question and Grappler beat us to the punch! But it's all G - we're glad that the Underground is helping out and connecting uke players everywhere. We can't wait to see some stuff from you, Dane ... hint. ; D

From me? Gosh I'm terrible haha. I am quite good at "Another Jig Will Do" though, it's just very short... but too much fun, I find myself playing it without knowing that I am. Or did you mean my photography? haha...

Go through the motions, take it slow, practice, and soon you'll be chunking in your sleep!

What a great Uke Minutes! But I'm not sure Rich will be too happy when I start chunking in my sleep! :D

I just want to say great video! I have had problems with the chunk but after watching this and taking it slow for now I think I can finally get this thing down. Thanks UU.

Great info!
Where was it filmed/video'd?
All those beautiful ukuleles in the background:eek:

Little late on this but I have to ask. When I do the chunk strum as instructed I always hear the chord for a fraction of a second. When I listen to Aldrine do it on the videos I hear muted strings.

What I am wondering is am I doing it right.

Thing is, there is lots of stuff that can happen between Aldrine's strum and my speakers.

Should I hear the chord or should I hear nothing but muted strings on this strum?

I can't be alone with this question. If I was the whole chunk strum thing would have died off a while ago so please help.

No, the sound of the chord shouldn't come through when you do the chunk. There are a few things that you could do to help.

- Relax your strumming finger(s). Don't keep the fingers you use to strum too stiff when you do the strum part of the chunk.

- Increase your angle of attack. Instead of bringing your hand straight down like you would to strum, bring your hand down at an angle toward the face of the ukulele, almost as if you were trying to slap the sound hole with the nails of your curled strumming fingers and the outside edge of your thumb.

- Lift up on the chord, slightly. With your left hand, release the chord so that your fingers are just resting on the strings instead of holding them down hard when you strum the chunk.

hopefully one or all of these helps you out. Shooots.

Howdy from the Caribbean!

Last week at an impromptu open mic, I had the opportunity of watching an AMAZING guitar player. At one point, he was 'chunking' just the low E string. I am tuned standard; has anyone found success chunking single strings? I don't know if my technique is honed enough to get at the big fat C string; but it sure sounded good on his guitar.

Thank you!

ps. I actually got a sing-along to Aldrine's version of Waiting in Vain ... so thanks for that!

Top Bottom