Dulcimer! Hammered or appalachian

lovinforkful

Reaction score
Anyone else play? Admittedly, it's because of the mountain dulcimer that I've been pretty absent on these forums for about a month, it's been getting all my attention.

hi lovinforkful

I've started learning the appalachian dulcimer just lately. It's a pretty cheap one from 'Apple Creek' but I love it to bits. baby steps at the moment...'Kumbaya', 'Skip To My Lou', 'Go tell Aunt Rhody' etc but really enjoying it mate. :)

I'm a long-time hammered dulcimer player--bought my first one 31 years ago. I also mess around with mountain dulcimers, autoharps, whistles, fiddle, bodhran, as well as steel tongue drums. I don't know what my life would be like if it weren't for music!!!

I played hammered dulcimer for a couple of years but about six years ago I started mountain dulcimer. I fell in love with it and ended up selling my hammered dulcimer. My vote is for mountain dulcimer.

I've been thinking about learning the dulicmer lately. I grew up in a part of Appalachia, I remember we had a dulicmer building class in high school.
Stupid me, I did not take it.

How difficult is it to learn compared to the ukulele?

its like one string and doesn't have all the notes so anyone can play it. two drone strings and one string played. I have one from KY.

I was surprised by my wife with a Christmas gift of a lap dulcimer a number of years ago.
Dulcimer001.jpg

Roselle Dulcimers of Roselle, Illinois. Kind of a long scale. Haven't learned much on it yet.

We bought a hammered dulcimer for my wife, but it's collecting dust.

Top Bottom