Ukulele Camp!

Maiyah888

Reaction score
I had 12 girls aged 8 to 14 and we worked through:

1) First 2 lessons of Ukulele in the Classroom;

2) an open-string plucking accompaniment I made for Aloha Oe that's easy enough for beginners -- my first arrangement!

3) a lot of emotional stuff -- they're from a seriously underprivileged neighborhood with a great deal of drug activity, etc; We use EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and other stress release methods to help let go of tension and negative patterns before we start playing together;

4) a curriculum I'm creating about Ukulele History and Hawai'ian culture. They love the concepts of mahalo, aloha and ohana/community.

5) creating trust "I need to know that I can trust you with this instrument starting next spring. Do you understand why?"

For their End of Camp Performance they all:

1) gave leis to the parents, staff and admin who attended;
2) told 2 facts about Ukuleles/Ukulele History/Hawai'ian cultural concepts;
3) plucked accompaniment and sang to:

a) Frere Jacques (while walking in a circle and singing it as a round!);
b) Mary had a Little Lamb;
c) He's Got the Whole World in His Hands (they made up the line "furry little kittens");
d) chorus Aloha Oe with my adapted lyrics:

Aloha Oe, Aloha Oe, we send you blessings, peace and wisdom
We're sending love to all beings everywhere
and we live in harmony with all

One of my co-sponsoring institutions wants to expand our original plan from every Thursday of the school year to every Tuesday and Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!

"I never thought that THESE kids would respond so dramatically to the ukulele." -- Institutional Accountant

We're ordering 8 more Makala Dolphins, so each student will be able to play one for the entire one hour class (I think the experience of sharing was useful for them).

Am so grateful to be able to provide this population with music education and self-awareness techniques!

Thanks for reading my post!

Aloha Maiyah888,
I applaud your effort, conviction and dedication. Surely your students will take away with them the "Aloha Spirit" which lives within all of us but just needs to be awakened at times.
Mahalo bigtime and keep up your good work. Wish there were more people like you....what a world it would/could be.................BO...................

Also, I came in one morning to find the following messages written on the board anonymously:

"This class is AWESOME."

and

"We love you Miss Maiyah!"

* happy *

Aloha Maiyah888,
I applaud your effort, conviction and dedication. Surely your students will take away with them the "Aloha Spirit" which lives within all of us but just needs to be awakened at times.
Mahalo bigtime and keep up your good work. Wish there were more people like you....what a world it would/could be.................BO...................

Thanks so much!

I'm just tickled pink by this opportunity and I'm soooooooooooooooo excited about being able to spend time with James Hill in person during my on-site training in Toronto!

Congratulations, Maiyah. It sounds like you created a terrific (and fun) curriculum. Lucky kids. You deserve to be as excited as you "sound" in your post. I am an elementary school teacher and am thinking about running a several week uke class in our school's afterschool program in the fall. You gave me some good ideas. Regarding the ukes you said were ordered: I will probably recommend that the kids' pick up Makala Dolphins since I am partial to all things KALA and my one soprano is a Dolphin (Red Sunburst-very cool). Great sound and quality for the price. But you mentioned a sponsoring agency and ordering more--who's paying? I'm thinking of contacting Mike at KALA to see if they have some sort of discount for schools, since the parents have to pay for their kids to take a course in our afterschool program. Just wondering? In the meantime, keep up the great work!
Marcy

Congratulations, Maiyah. It sounds like you created a terrific (and fun) curriculum. Lucky kids.
You deserve to be as excited as you "sound" in your post. I am an elementary school teacher and am thinking about running a several week uke class in our school's afterschool program in the fall. You gave me some good ideas. Regarding the ukes you said were ordered: I will probably recommend that the kids' pick up Makala Dolphins since I am partial to all things KALA and my one soprano is a Dolphin (Red Sunburst-very cool). Great sound and quality for the price. But you mentioned a sponsoring agency and ordering more--who's paying? I'm thinking of contacting Mike at KALA to see if they have some sort of discount for schools, since the parents have to pay for their kids to take a course in our afterschool program. Just wondering? In the meantime, keep up the great work!
Marcy

I'm very fortunate that my sponsoring agencies are paying: The Academy of Music and Park Place Child Life Center.

Both are local NGOs who have full time fund raisers (who are doing the grant writing).

I highly recommend the James Hill/Doane Chalmers Ukulele in the Classroom Curriculum.

I'd be happy to forward you PDFs of my Ukulele History / Hawai'ian Cultural Concepts sheets if you'd like!

Perhaps I'll create a booklet and post it on 4shared, like Uncle Rod.

Congratulations, Maiyah. It sounds like you created a terrific (and fun) curriculum. Lucky kids. You deserve to be as excited as you "sound" in your post. I am an elementary school teacher and am thinking about running a several week uke class in our school's afterschool program in the fall. You gave me some good ideas. Regarding the ukes you said were ordered: I will probably recommend that the kids' pick up Makala Dolphins since I am partial to all things KALA and my one soprano is a Dolphin (Red Sunburst-very cool). Great sound and quality for the price. But you mentioned a sponsoring agency and ordering more--who's paying? I'm thinking of contacting Mike at KALA to see if they have some sort of discount for schools, since the parents have to pay for their kids to take a course in our afterschool program. Just wondering? In the meantime, keep up the great work!
Marcy

Let me know by private message if you'd like me to send the sheets!

They're in Open Office, which is Word compatible.

All good wishes for your success!

Maiyah this sounds Wonderful! Congrats for all you have done for the kids.. and your uke accomplishments.. I want to come and be on your camp staff!! You rock!!

Wow, looks like you did a wonderful job! Way to go!

Aloha Maiyah888,
Mahalo for passing it on to the next generation of ukers, you certainly are a ambassador of the uke movement..Happy strummings..MM Stan
Thank you for sharing...nice read, loved it...

Maiyah,

What a wonderful thing you have done with these children! Blown away by how generous of you to share the Aloha and the spirit of the Ukulele with these children and that they have gone away carrying that with them and I look forward to hearing more when the next class starts!

Good on you!

Joey :music:

What a great thing you did using your passion to help people in need.

Great job, Maiyah! Knowing you, this is not at all surprising. I'll see you at the Lindy Luau later this month, yeah?

Maiyah this sounds Wonderful! Congrats for all you have done for the kids.. and your uke accomplishments.. I want to come and be on your camp staff!! You rock!!

Thanks so much fitncrafty!

Also, thanks for your inspiring work -- I've continued my yoga stuff and am on the substitute teacher list for my gym and have taught 8 times there!

I did YogaFit 1 Certification class and just need to do 5 more volunteer teaching hours!

And I'd love to have you on my Camp Staff one day you SuperHeroine you1

Aloha Maiyah888,
Mahalo for passing it on to the next generation of ukers, you certainly are a ambassador of the uke movement..Happy strummings..MM Stan
Thank you for sharing...nice read, loved it...

Thank you stan for your kind words!

I've noticed that you really take time to welcome people to this site, and I appreciate that very much!

Many blessings to you and yours!

Good on you, Maiyah! Just goes to show what a great motivator music can be for disadvantaged kids, well, for all kids, really. :)

Bet those anonymous messages on the chalkboard really made your day. :p

Hi itsme!

You're right about music -- as the Director of the Academy of Music, Norfolk (one of my sponsors) puts it

"Music doesn't discriminate. You hear someone who loves music playing, and it doesn't matter where they grew up or how."

And I took a picture of those anonymous messages to keep on my cell phone. But first I texted it to a bunch of my friends!

All good wishes to you!

Maiyah,

What a wonderful thing you have done with these children! Blown away by how generous of you to share the Aloha and the spirit of the Ukulele with these children and that they have gone away carrying that with them and I look forward to hearing more when the next class starts!

Good on you!

Joey :music:

Thank you so much Joey!

I find your presence here on the boards inspiring and moving. Thank you for pursuing your uke-ing and motivating me!

What a great thing you did using your passion to help people in need.

Thank you Mr. Pitchy!

I'm so grateful to use my skills in this way -- their faces are transformed with joy as they play and sing!

May you also have fulfillment in your life!

Top Bottom