Going from Aquila back to GHS strings...perhaps

jinenjo

Reaction score
I'm still a pretty fresh beginner. I'll say it at the start, but after moving from GHS strings on my soprano Makai 70 to Aquila as recommended, I have to say that I miss the softer tone of the GHS. Are there other recommended strings that might be better quality, but soft and round in tone like the black nylon GHS?

Thanks!
LB

Worth Browns are good...I like GHS, they were on my KPK when I got it and I only switched to Worth to try to get a mellower sound, still have some GHS strings in case I want to switch back :D

Let us know what you decide!

Hmmm, even mellower? I like the sound of that. :) I did a bit of research and it seems as if there is more than one kind of Worth brown. Any explanations on this would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
My wife wont let me near her Concert Uke with a set of aquilas, I see where she is coming from too in a way, its the only uke in the house that ISN"T currently strung with the aquilas, and it has a sound that is crisp, tight, bright and clear that I know the aquilas would just spoil the delicate feel and sound of that instrument, I still want to put the aquilas on it just to prove that's going to be the case. but also ,just in case i'm wrong it would be a shame to have not found out now that aquilas would have brought it to life in a new way, but it's not mine, and i'm not allowed to touch it lol.

But the more I learn to play, and the better I get, the more faults I'm finding with the aquilas anyway, they do in some ways restrict the range of tones I can get, and they are starting to feel just too chunky, as I get more profecient as a player I can make thinner strings behave themselves by fretting and pressing them properly, the aquilas were great when i was learning cos they were like aiming for telegraph wires, you just couldn't miss em and they didnt bend out of shape when you were trying to conquer a new stretch or a difficult chord, but like i said, the better I get, the less I need aquilas help.

webby

On certain ukes I prefer GHS...when no other string works on a particular uke, I try them....

If the GHS strings sound good on your ukulele, they're high quality strings. Get a new set!

I really have taken a liking to Martin Fluorocarbon strings. On a lot of ukes GHS strings just don't perform well. It depends on the instrument. They are very cheap to buy when you need as many as manufacturers do. That is why a lot of ukes used to ship with GHS strings. Now, it seems, most manufacturers are using Aquila Nylguts.

The coming issue of Ukulele Player will feature a review of the NEW formula Nylguts and also the Aquila BioNylons.

I agree with joey if you want mellow worth browns sound nice. I did not like them they are to soft to touch for me I currently use worth clears

I did not like them they are to soft to touch for me I currently use worth clears

Are they softer than GHS? I was getting used to them before I switched. What are Worth clear strings like, still mellower than Aquila?

Pippin, could you please describe the tonal qualities of the Martin strings you mentioned?

Thanks for all the replies!
Lear

Aquilas on all but one of my ukuleles
which has Worth Browns on it! The
reason has already been explained
in an earlier post.Aquilas would seem
to overpower that uke,whereas the
Worths are just right!

Are they softer than GHS? I was getting used to them before I switched. What are Worth clear strings like, still mellower than Aquila?

Pippin, could you please describe the tonal qualities of the Martin strings you mentioned?

Thanks for all the replies!o

Lear

Never tried ghs so can't compare. Worth clears are mellower than aquilla IMHO

I have found the Worth Clears and the Martin flouros to be quite similar, and love them both on solid or solid top ukes, but they didn't seem to have enough oomph to drive the laminates I've tried them on. I have a set of the Browns but haven't tried them yet. You might also like the D'Addario Pro Arte's they are a bit thicker than Worths or Martins but have a nice smooth feel, and you can get them through the UU store.

I was just at my local store, but they only had the D'Addario black in concert. I've looked around, but aside from the marketplace threads in the forum I can't find the UU store.

I was just at my local store, but they only had the D'Addario black in concert. I've looked around, but aside from the marketplace threads in the forum I can't find the UU store.

Go to the main UU page (not the forum) and look along the top.

Go to the UU homepage and click on SHOP on the header. Lots of goodies in there.

I just figured out that concert strings do fit soprano ukuleles. Any feedback on the D'Addario black?

Last edited:
I just figured out that concert strings do fit soprano ukuleles. Any feedback on the D'Addario black?

Apparently those are what Kamaka uses. They're pretty similar to GHS. As far as cheap strings go, I like Hilos a little better, only because they feel neat. Worth browns are my favorite for a soprano, but they're pricey and you'll have to find them online somewhere.

I decided against the D'Addario or GHS strings, for now. Having read enough good praise for Worth I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of BM. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes!

Top Bottom