I Finally got my Semi Custom KAMAKA Tenor

MauiWowie

Reaction score
Howzit my fellow ukers!?
:shaka:

First thing I want to say Mahalo's to Kamaka!
Kamaka's customer service is really great! They have quick response with emails/calls,are really friendly and have lots of Aloha!

My order was supposed to have the Abalone logo and fret dots but they called me up when it was installed and they did not like the look of it. They thought I would not like it so they asked me if I wanted to change it to pearl, so I said yes and they had changed it free of charge. Pearl was my first choice for the logo and fret dots but thinking the Abalone rosette was going to be greenish like the one I had on my Pono and from ones I have seen on some other ukes I wanted the inlays to also be Abalone so they were the same color. Upon receiving my uke I was very happy that I went with the changes as the Abalone is more white'ish.
I also asked them to hold onto my order even though it was done and to only ship it out when I get back from my vacation and that way its not sitting at the fedex facility for a week. They did this request with no problem.

About this Uke.....

Kamaka HF-3 Tenor "SPECIAL"
Ebony Head Plate,Fingerboard & Bridge
Pearl Logo & Fingerboard Dots
Abalone Rossette with Rope border
Gold tuners(Gibson shaft) with Ebony Keys
Fishman Matrix Infinity Pickup w/ Volume Control

My thoughts.....

Its not as loud as my KoAloha but I can really tell the difference in sound. especially when playing in the higher frets on the E & A Strings(They are both strung with Pro Arte). In all It seems like its more balanced in sound. Its also not as light as the KoAloha but thats probly because of the electronics I have installed on the Kamaka. The only thing I would change about this uke is the action as its more higher then I would like it to be.

now on to the pics.....

img5867s.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6688/img5835d.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4426/img5827e.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/25/img5811ri.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1239/img5825n.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5461/img5837c.jpg

Now that I am back from Vacation I can now jam on my uke's again...
I may upload a video of me jamming with this one. I am also thinking about changing the strings on the KoAloha for a Low G Set up.

Now off I go to play this uke!
Mahalo's!

Happy New Uke Day! Congrats ::D It looks soooo beautiful! Bet it plays nice too :D

Would love to hear a sound sample :D

Great looking ukulele! Nice rosette, beautiful koa. I think the switch to pearl was a good decision. Play on!

Aloha Maui wowie..
Congratulations..on your new Kamaka....love the rope and shell rosette..awesome dude...have fun and enjoy...happy strummings..MM Stan
I am sure you can adjust the action....to you liking, too low and less volume..

Congratulations...you must be absolutely thrilled!!!

Thanks for the pictures so we can share ion the joy and cannot wait for the vid which I hope you will post the link to here when ready!

Chris

Wow, just wow! Amazing! I've never seen this kind of rosette. Just beautiful. I plan to go to Hawai'i next year and hopefully return with a Kamaka if my finances allow it. How long did you wait between the order and the delivery?

Beautiful Kamaka! Congrats and Enjoy! Sorry to hear that the action was a little high - usually Kamaka sets them up fairly low.

It looks really beautiful, congratulations. And that KoAloha crown bridge isn't too shabby either. ;)

I love the ebony head plate and the rosette and that is some gorgeous koa too. I like your idea of stringing the KoAloha low g. Enjoy your new instrument.

Aloha MauiWowie...what a stunning Kamaka!! The grain is beauitfull, have fun playing!!

Congrats on the Kamaka, Wil! So what is the wife playing now? I thought she was getting the KoAloha? I just got one HF-3 Kamaka for my wife off Craigslist a few weeks ago. I'm coming to Maui for 10-11 days this month, lmk if u like jam! Congrats again!

Happy new uke day! That Kamaka is beautiful! The grain on the soundboard is exquisite! And the KoAloha is also very pretty. You have yourself a nice stable of ukuleles.

Wow, just wow! Amazing! I've never seen this kind of rosette. Just beautiful. I plan to go to Hawai'i next year and hopefully return with a Kamaka if my finances allow it. How long did you wait between the order and the delivery?

I waited about less then a month for them to make my order. Time went by faster for me since I went on vacation for 2 of those weeks. :p

Congrats on the Kamaka, Wil! So what is the wife playing now? I thought she was getting the KoAloha? I just got one HF-3 Kamaka for my wife off Craigslist a few weeks ago. I'm coming to Maui for 10-11 days this month, lmk if u like jam! Congrats again!

She's going to be playing with the KoAloha but then again I tried and tried getting her really into playing but she doesnt want to.

again Mahalos everyone, all that waiting paid off!

That is gorgeous. Congrats!

Both pretty!!Congrats

Give us an honest assessment in a few weeks on which one you like better

Top Bottom