New Uke Fever time.(some pics of the new uke)

Leodhas

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my new oscar schmidt ou2. It took a wee bit of work to set up as I had to lower the saddle, re-set 2 of the tuner keys, file the nut slots and stick aqulia strings on but now it sounds ok. You're never really going to get these kind of ukes playing perfect from the box but with a wee bit of work they can really sound sweet!

Straight from the box (with ghs strings on)

ukebl1.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

After I had set it up and stuck the new strings on

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now sat with it's pals in instrument corner. If you notice the dolphin which I re-strung with aquilas over the weekend

Is sounds full of fun and fun I shall have with it! cheers!

Congratulations on your new ukulele! It looks great. It also looks as if it likes being with its new friends. I hope you're enjoying playing it!

Yay! It finally arrived :D Happy New Uke Day and enjoy your NUF! :D

Joey :music:

Congrats Leodhas! I am also discovering that these cheap Oscars can be quite nice playing and sounding ukes. I bought an OU2-P a while back on an impulse since I'd been trying to find a concert scale pineapple, and was very pleasantly surprised. As you said out of the box they need a we bit of tweaking, and get rid of those godawful GHS strings!, but with a set of Aquilas it plays and sounds very well. I also just got a used OU2-E that the previous owner could never get to play well (the action was way high) and with a set up and a new set of Pro Arte's it's a completely different instrument.

Aloha Loadhas,
congratulations..I bought my OU2 OS over 3 years and it is my second go to uke....really enjoy it very much...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Congrats Leodhas! I am also discovering that these cheap Oscars can be quite nice playing and sounding ukes. I bought an OU2-P a while back on an impulse since I'd been trying to find a concert scale pineapple, and was very pleasantly surprised. As you said out of the box they need a we bit of tweaking, and get rid of those godawful GHS strings!, but with a set of Aquilas it plays and sounds very well. I also just got a used OU2-E that the previous owner could never get to play well (the action was way high) and with a set up and a new set of Pro Arte's it's a completely different instrument.

There is something very satisfying about getting a cheaper uke and doing a wee bit of work on it to sound good. I also have a dolphin which I set-up and stuck aquilas on and now it sounds great and more importantly stays in tune (as much as a uke can stay in tune). The most expensive uke I have is a kala KA-T, I lowered the saddle a wee bit when I got it and it sounds fantastic, It only cost me £70 brand new (that was 16 mths ago) about 100 something dollars.

It cost me £50 for that OU2, what's that, 70/75 dollars and after a wee set up it sounds great. There is no chance in hell you could spend that kind of money on a new guitar and get an instrument of equivalent quality.Coming from a guitar playing back ground it doesn't scare me to fiddle about with instruments and i've used a lot of what I know about guitars and adapted it to the uke.

I keep harking back to when I first joined this site and was told I'd drop the guitars and become a uke head and I thought at the time there was no chance and now look at me, spouting the light fantastic about sub $100 ukes!

I have a really nice Guild and Gretsch guitar, I hardly touch them unless I have too because I'm always playing bloody ukes!

God I could do with a cigarette! 7 days and counting without one!

Top Bottom