Unofficial Kamaka Ukulele History Blog Website

PedalFreak

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone that has helped out with the blog. Gotten a lot of help from people here at UU.

Just also wanted to update everyone on the site. There are 2 dedicated ukulele pages on the site: one for Pineapples, and another for Sopranos. The Soprano page isn't complete yet, and really the entire site I update a bit.

I've got the Fretboard Journal issue #10 article on Kamaka ukuleles. I'm retyping it up now. Should be on the site in the next few days.

I've also got a collection of photos of rare Kamaka models that will be cool to see also.

I've also got a rough draft for a "Jake Shimabukuro Signature Model" Database almost complete. Thought it would be neat to have a place where we could collect the photos of the front and back of each one, and the location of them all. There is a similar database for 1958-1960 Les Pauls, thought we could have the same thing up and running.

I hope everyone is enjoying the site.

That Fretboard Journal article is great. It took me a while before I was able to get a hard copy of that issue. If you don't have scans of the photos that
are included in the article let me know and I can probably scan them for you.

Wow! Great job with the blog/website! Looks great :D Can't wait to see the final thing :D

Joey :music:

That Fretboard Journal article is great. It took me a while before I was able to get a hard copy of that issue. If you don't have scans of the photos that
are included in the article let me know and I can probably scan them for you.

I've got a black and white scan. I'm waiting to hear back from Fretboard Journal, I don't want to post the scans if they are not ok with it. I'll let you know if they approve of it, be nice to post the scans. Also, next issue is suppose to have a Kamaka article!!!

Wow! Great job with the blog/website! Looks great :D Can't wait to see the final thing :D

Joey

Won't ever be a "final." It's going to just keep going and updating.

Much of the info has been updated since the beginning. Someone from Kamaka, Fred Jr. maybe? has been watching it, because I'll get comments from Kamaka letting me know little details. I've sent them an email about some things. It'd be cool if they'd help out, but I know they're busy :)

Be really cool if they'd write a book one day :D

After I took the tour with Fred, who was incredibly nice, my first though was that someone should interview and write a book about, or an oral history of, Kamaka based on the stories he tells. It would be a treasure.

Last edited:
I've got a black and white scan. I'm waiting to hear back from Fretboard Journal, I don't want to post the scans if they are not ok with it. I'll let you know if they approve of it, be nice to post the scans. Also, next issue is suppose to have a Kamaka article!!!

Sounds good, I have the actual magazine so I can scan the color photos for it if they okay the usage. Nice tip to know to be on the lookout for the
upcoming issue.

And I agree, I always thought a book would be super cool. Keep up the great work on the website. :)

Great article from the fretboard journal. Nice to learn that Kelly and Dustin do the Herb Ohta models. BTW does anybody know why and when Herb dropped the HB-2D for the Martin 3?

Top Bottom