My first victory: G-D7 progression

Vladim

Reaction score
'Boil 'em cabbage down' is a really nice folk song for beginners.

When I started playing it G-D7 was a nightmare for me. I thought I would never make it: so different shapes these chords have. Moreover one passage demands G-D7 progression in one measure (the song is 4/4). But practice works miracles! Though my speed is very slow but after one and a half week I managed to switch my fingers in right positions just in time.

It's amazing feeling. Now I believe I can be a uke-player. The whole world of music is opened before me.

Are you using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp exercises to learn chords? has helped many of us. What'cha going to learn next, "Mammy?"

Congratulations, Vladim! In a few more weeks, you'll be playing that tune at whatever speed you like.

Thanks for sharing your progress---it provides inspiration to all of us to work patiently toward our musical goals.

Yes, you CAN be a uke player, and you are. I love your comment "the whole word of music is opened up before me." That's how I felt last year when I got started. It's a great feeling, yes? Keep it up, and you won't believe how great it will continue to be!

Isn't it awesome when things just come and fall into place unexpectedly when you're on the learning curb, Happy accomplishments......Happy strummings.. do you know the hawaiian D7...2020

Fantastic stuff. It is such a lift when things come together. Congratulations.

Yes, you CAN be a uke player, and you are. I love your comment "the whole word of music is opened up before me." That's how I felt last year when I got started. It's a great feeling, yes? Keep it up, and you won't believe how great it will continue to be!
I will second that!

congrats! yup the pay off is great once you get throught the first rough stages of learnign how to jet yoru fingers on the string s and coordinate, switch chords, and once you got em you got em, then you can move on to a whole world of songs and music is right :)

Are you using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp exercises to learn chords? has helped many of us.

No, I'm not. But I was looking for some exercises on chords. I've never heard about Uncle Rod's. Thanks for suggestion.

I'm still tweaking this chord a little. At first I played it barring the 2nd fret with my middle finger and ring finger on the A stgring, 3rd fret. I discovered that it's hard to change chords (like to G or G7) using that fingering. Instead I'm back to using my index finger to bar and ring finger on the A. Not sure why it's easier my initial way though.

Congrats to you on your accomplishment!

Uncle Rod's chords exercises are just what I wanted to find. Thanks a lot. Playing chords in the shown order even sounds like a some kind of melody.

Overall, guys, you are the best!

Creating this thread, I didn't expect to receive so many replies. To be sure, I did a right thing joining this friendly community.

I'm convincing myself more and more that Jake Shimabukoro is dead-right saying that the world would be a better place if everyone has played a uke. I feel like it's almost impossible both to play such sweet and mellow instrument and to be a rude, unkind person.

Last edited:
I think that you will also find that you will also "catch the kindness" that the nice folks on this forum convey. I've been lucky to be on forums with lots of kind and helpful people. It renews my faith in people also.

What'cha going to learn next, "Mammy?"
Do you mean "Shortenin' Bread"? I've heard not much songs for beginners so far but that one has so catchy melody that I'll definitely try it as soon as find its tabs.

I think that you will also find that you will also "catch the kindness" that the nice folks on this forum convey. I've been lucky to be on forums with lots of kind and helpful people. It renews my faith in people also.

What a great post! If I've had any doubts about starting to play uke it would wipe out all my hesitations.

do you know the hawaiian D7...2020

Yes, I do but I didn't know it's called "Hawaiian". It seems easier to shape though doesn't it sound a little bit differently than a bar-shaped D7?

Top Bottom