Jake's on Kimmel Tonight

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
Just letting you guys know that Jake is going to be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight as his musical guest. Hopefully a vid pops up somewhere tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up! Just set my TV reminder to watch it.

Just watched it. He NAILED it.
You could almost hear the smirks being wiped from their faces.
(there were titters in the audience every time Jimmy said "ukulele"... there weren't any after the performance.)

Saw the announcement on Jake's fanpage on Facebook. Lookin' forward to watching it in an hour and a half.

Watched it about a half hour ago my time. Jake's performance was wonderful, as usual.

.....just wondering if he might have gained a lot more fans if he had played a better known piece.

"Bohemian Rhaspody" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" come to mind, and he does them so well as to drop
a lot of jaws. I realize he was playing a cut off his new CD, but "Bring Your Adz" doesn't really showcase his
superb fingerstyle work as much as some others, and doesn't do much for me either. Maybe it'll grow on me....

Also,... Jimmy might have given him a little more time in his slot, so as to get time for 2 pieces and maybe
a short interview. Almost seems Jake got the "bum's rush", came on late in the show, played, and right off. Do you
think maybe Jimmy thought (before the performance), that the ukulele was a "toy" or prop, as maybe Tiny Tim
used it? (not known to be a serious "musician")

Jake makes a lot of friends with that smile and usual fun talk, wish he had more time allotted.

Last edited:
Jake is and always will be the man. Jake is to the ukulele what Tiger Woods is to golf. Tiger brought in a whole new generation of golfers and made golf seem cool. Jake has done the same thing with the ukulele. If Jake didn't come around, maybe UU wouldn't even exist!!

Also,... Jimmy might have given him a little more time in his slot, so as to get time for 2 pieces and maybe
a short interview. Almost seems Jake got the "bum's rush", came on late in the show, played, and right off.
I agree he should have been given a bit more time. That "reality show couple" was boring, and Howie Mandel isn't one of my favorites.

It was the same with Eddie Vedder on Letterman recently... three minutes at the very end of the show to perform, no talk at all. :(

Jake is and always will be the man. Jake is to the ukulele what Tiger Woods is to golf. Tiger brought in a whole new generation of golfers and made golf seem cool. Jake has done the same thing with the ukulele. If Jake didn't come around, maybe UU wouldn't even exist!!

Jake has definitely been an invigorator and an innovator. But I hope he veers off the Tiger Woods career path before crashing his SUV into a mailbox.

Jimmy might have given him a little more time in his slot, so as to get time for 2 pieces and maybe a short interview. Almost seems Jake got the "bum's rush", came on late in the show, played, and right off. Do you think maybe Jimmy thought (before the performance), that the ukulele was a "toy" or prop, as maybe Tiny Tim used it? (not known to be a serious "musician")

Awesome performance on Kimmel. Unfortunately, the late night shows almost always give the musical acts short shrift. In fact, Leno always has the musical guest introduced as ".... and the music of Jake Shimabukuro," as if the guest is the music, not the musician.

Last edited:
Jake has definitely been an invigorator and an innovator. But I hope he veers off the Tiger Woods career path before crashing his SUV into a mailbox.

Awesome performance on Kimmel. Unfortunately, the late night shows almost always give the musical acts short shrift. In fact, Leno always has the musical guest introduced as ".... and the music of Jake Shimabukuro," as if the guest is the music, not the musician.

10-4 on crashing his SUV and all the events that followed. Jake isn't that kind of guy it appears anyway.

by any chance, did you see what kind of uke leash he was using? i couldn't figure it out. it wasn't connected to the neck, sound hole or end pin. Kinda looked like it was attached to the back of the uke.

Thanks for posting the video. I totally forgot he was going to be on when I saw it on his site a week ago.

by any chance, did you see what kind of uke leash he was using? i couldn't figure it out. it wasn't connected to the neck, sound hole or end pin. Kinda looked like it was attached to the back of the uke.

it's velro. one part is stuck to the waist of the uke and the other is at the end of the strap.

It's Velcro. The fuzzy side is stuck on his uke and the hook-part is on a right angle bracket that is attached to the strap.
DSC06175.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom