Best "Mango" finish uke

buffalo_nickel

Reaction score
I am a casual player and have a Kala KA-ST Tenor. I really like it, but I am just looking to go a slight step up. I LOVE the mango finish. I am debating over the ibanez, oscar-shmidt, or lanakai (might be a little pricy for me). Just wondering what your thoughts were, or if you have another brand, or if you have another favorite finish. I really like the crazy quality of the grain. I appreciate any help. Thanks! (id like a tenor)

I know a friend who just got a NICE brand Mango Uke.....he got a good price..at Aloha Stadium flea market..
Welcome to the UU and our forums...check out our used ukes in the marketplace for deals..and FMM and craigslist.

Last edited:
First significant thing I always ask; What is your budget? . . . makes it somewhat easier to choose once you know that.

hey buffalo,

I agree with Danny. My first reaction was to suggest a Mya Moe mango tradition ukulele, but that may be out of your price range. I am fortunate enough to own two of them. Mya Moe surely make the sweetest sounding (and prettiest) solid mango ukes on the market.

I have a Lanikai spalted mango tenor. Nice uke and the spalted mango makes for an interesting look. Mainland should be getting some of their mangos back in stock before the end of the summer. Their available directly from Mainland Ukulele or from Uke Republic. I have a Mainland cedar/rosewood pineapple and would say the overall quality of the Mainland is superior to the Lanikai.

Thanks for the responses guys! I cant seem to find Mainland or Mya Moe ukes for sale anywhere (to get a feel for price). Im looking to probably spend $400 or less I think at this point, but would be willing to spend a little more for something very nice. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

If I were choosing between Lanikai and Oscar Schmitt or Ibanez, I would go for Lanikai, unless I got to try them out side by side in person. Kala makes some pretty mangos too. Remember with these dramatic grained ukes that each one is different, and you should not choose from a stock photo, because what you get will vary a lot. The Mainland mangos have tended to have a plain/ straight grain, but they sound great.
You might also like Zebra Wood, Spalted Maple, Quilted Maple, Myrtle, and Curly Koa. Kala and Ohana have some nice choices.

Check out Emil Bader's ukes. Not many on his site right now, but he uses some interesting woods.http://www.globalcreationscart.com/hawaiian-ukulele.html

–Lori

Last edited:
Thanks for the grain recommendations Lori! And the site you suggested has some beautiful ukes. Unfortunately, the ukes I want/are looking at are not really available anywhere around me to play, so it's going to have to be based off image almost certainly...which I know is not ideal, but not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for the responses guys! I cant seem to find Mainland or Mya Moe ukes for sale anywhere (to get a feel for price). Im looking to probably spend $400 or less I think at this point, but would be willing to spend a little more for something very nice. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

You can get a Mainland Mango Tenor direct from their website; it's well within your price range. I have a Mainland Mango Concert and I'm very happy with it. Check out: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Mya-Moe makes wonderful tenors, but they are well outside your stated budget, starting at $1000. Although a few stores carry Mya-Moe, most are sold direct from the builders: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/

Good luck!

Those big island mangos look amazing. Just dont like the fact that you dont even know exactly what the one you would buy would look like...
Does anyone know how the big island solid would compare to the lanikai solid mango?

Wow! Save up $119, sell something, and get that Big Island Mango.

Wow! Save up $119, sell something, and get that Big Island Mango.

Have you compared the 2? Im just in the dark with the quality of better uke brands...
With the big island I wont know exactly what the finish looks like, and right now the look is very important...

The finish is one of the most beautiful, very glass like and that is the one you would get Big Island makes some amazing instruments with a lot of hand work going into each one.Sound quality is fantastic. Heres how they hand make eack inlay
Have you compared the 2? Im just in the dark with the quality of better uke brands...
With the big island I wont know exactly what the finish looks like, and right now the look is very important...

The seller is Mim (1st link) and she's a regular here as well as a trusted vendor. IMO you won't go wrong getting an instrument from either sellers. Both are reputable. On a personal note, my choice would be the Big Island . . . I like the simple look rather than all the spalting, just too busy.

Last edited:
Ya, Mim seems very nice, and I can't get over how beautiful that specific uke is...so I am hopefully going to try and work something out with her.

For a really nice solid wood mango, look no further than Mainland!

Top Bottom