What's up with this Kamaka?

ukestah

Da Ukestah!
UU VIP
Reaction score
I dunno! $9100, sheesh . . . idle rich or idle s******d, gotta be one collector or . . . . As far as I can see, nothing special even with the pick guards.

Yikes! I wonder if the original bidder (who won the item after a second bidder made several bids in $1,000 increments to bid the item up from $1,000) made a mistake in plugging in his/her maximum bid and now has an ukulele he/she never expected to pay that much for.

I doubt that any money will change hands in this auction. The successful (?) bidder obviously made a mistake some how, some way. I think he/she accidentally input $9100. as a maximum bid when he/she meant $910. and well, you see what happened...!!!

I doubt that any money will change hands in this auction. The successful (?) bidder obviously made a mistake some how, some way. I think he/she accidentally input $9100. as a maximum bid when he/she meant $910. and well, you see what happened...!!!

The likely scenario right there. But still, who was the shady shill bidder? Someone had to drive it UP to $9100, it doesn't just get there by itself!

I'm the winner of that auction!! Isn't it a one of a kind???

JUST KIDDING!!

Yikes! I wonder if the original bidder (who won the item after a second bidder made several bids in $1,000 increments to bid the item up from $1,000) made a mistake in plugging in his/her maximum bid and now has an ukulele he/she never expected to pay that much for.
If you look at the automatic bids, you'll see the numerous auto-bids for the minimum increase in between all of the loser's manual bids at $1K increments. The winner placed their max bid on 7-27, so the loser never stood a chance.

The loser very well could have been a shill. They have 75 feedbacks, so you'd think they know how the bidding works by now. The winner has 0 feedback, so they may be clueless.

Unless it's actually worth that price, I say shill. I've seen shill accounts that had 300-400 feedback, and have gotten caught for doing it too! But maybe there's something to that Kamaka that we don't know about.

IMO, those pick guards devalue that uke. Who knows what is under them why they were put there, or how they would impact the sound.....there is something fishy here and I bet, as mentioned that money will not change hands on this one.

If you look at the automatic bids, you'll see the numerous auto-bids for the minimum increase in between all of the loser's manual bids at $1K increments. The winner placed their max bid on 7-27, so the loser never stood a chance.

The loser very well could have been a shill. They have 75 feedbacks, so you'd think they know how the bidding works by now. The winner has 0 feedback, so they may be clueless.

That was my point. The winner, who has no feedback, may not have known what he or she was doing when inputting a maximum bid. If the loser was a shill, then he or she wasn't trying to win but was instead just trying to push up the price. The $1,000 increments is suspicious to me. There's a suspense novel in here somewhere.

On the other hand, maybe the first (and ultimately winning) bid was a shill (perhaps even the seller, under another account), and the seller was unwilling to sell the ukulele for less than a certain amount.

Unless it's actually worth that price, I say shill. I've seen shill accounts that had 300-400 feedback, and have gotten caught for doing it too! But maybe there's something to that Kamaka that we don't know about.

Not to derail the thread, but I think it was a horrific mistake for eBay to make the bidding anonymous. I was stopped bidding on an item because I was able to research a certain bidder, who I discovered had bid up every auction for the seller whose item I was looking at. Now it's impossible to check another bidder's earlier bidding behavior sufficiently to determine that he or she is merely bidding up the price. I gues the rule of thumb is this: decide how much you're willing to pay for an item before you bid, and then don't bid a penny more, regardless of what other bidders do.

I notced that the "winner" has no previous bidding history prior to this one,.

Aloha Ukestah,
wow anybody wants to buy my white label six string..it looks brand new and many time nicer than that one for sure... I give you a hundred dollar discount and round it off at 9000.00
Seriously I believe that guy was just fishing....for a sucker.... and those 1000 dollar incriments sound so phoney to me... we should be able to complain to Ebay on these type of actions..
Yeah said winning bid...to himself probally. what a waste of time...really...

I gues the rule of thumb is this: decide how much you're willing to pay for an item before you bid, and then don't bid a penny more, regardless of what other bidders do.
Actually, the "penny more" is a good way to go. I think a lot of people tend to think in nice even, round numbers, like say $100. If someone else also puts in a max of $100, it goes to whoever placed that max bid first. But $100.01 would trump it. :)

Not to derail the thread, but I think it was a horrific mistake for eBay to make the bidding anonymous. I was stopped bidding on an item because I was able to research a certain bidder, who I discovered had bid up every auction for the seller whose item I was looking at. Now it's impossible to check another bidder's earlier bidding behavior sufficiently to determine that he or she is merely bidding up the price. I gues the rule of thumb is this: decide how much you're willing to pay for an item before you bid, and then don't bid a penny more, regardless of what other bidders do.

Yeah, there were many times I spotted very suspicious activity when you could research the bidders and one occasion where I was able to prove that another bidder had bid sufficiently to discover my high bid on one item, then bid several identical items I was bidding on to just below that. Fortunately, the seller (same seller on all the auctions) agreed that I'd been ripped and he dropped the price to the previous high bid on all the items.

Anyway, I believe that people being able to spot the rampant shill bidding is the real reason that eBay changed to the anonymous display. They claimed it was for "security" because people were using the information to make bogus "second chance" offers to losing bidders - but I'm not buying it.

I just went to look at the auction in question and I suspect the situation is even worse, now. When you went to the bids page there used to be either a statement that there were no retracted bids or a link to display bid retractions. I don't see either, in this case, so I can only assume that eBay has stopped displaying retracted bids, in which case I'm pretty sure the "losing" bidder in this case probably actually outbid the "winning" bidder and then retracted that final bid. That used to happen fairly often and you could spot it - I guess apparently eBay doesn't like folks being able to identify that kind of fraud, either. :(

John

this was probably due to massive anticipated inflation if the budget bill was not passed. My guess is they will reduce it to $8999.99 tomorrow.

I gues the rule of thumb is this: decide how much you're willing to pay for an item before you bid, and then don't bid a penny more, regardless of what other bidders do.

I totally agree with this. NEVER let emotion rule your bidding. Unless you're bidding on something of mine. :D

-Pete

Top Bottom