Carbon Fiber Ukes

SaxManiac100

Reaction score
Does anyone other than Ovation make a carbon fiber uke that is completely oblivious to the weather? CA makes a fine-sounding acoustic guitar that is almost completely carbon fiber....except for metal parts. I wonder if there is a uke like that out there.

Last edited:
Mike DaSilva has one with a carbon fiber body . . .

141-SCF-1024.jpg

Wow!

:eek::eek::eek: Sweet ukulele. CF is not quite my style for an instrument but it's beautiful :D

Love the Peghed tuners. I'm getting a set soon and can't wait to get 'em fitted!

Last edited:
Ovation makes a CF uke? I thought Ovation made fibreglass backs. Link please!

The DaSilva CF uke is only a CF top to keep some of the warmth from the woods. Also, a full body CF uke would be expensive. Making a full body CF uke requires a lot of machinery, essentially taking away from the whole luthier build experience.

I want a custom DaSilva CF tenor at some point, but I lack the funds.

What is the 'luthier build experience'? For me the most exciting part is 'banking'. I know this sounds mercinary but getting paid for what I do is at the forefront of my experience...:D I had a few years of doing it for the 'experience' but was tired of being poor.

Ovation's Adamas guitars use composite tops, so it's not impossible that they made a uke with the same material at one point.

But that CF uke is sweet! Looks like a Rainsong. :D

What is the 'luthier build experience'? For me the most exciting part is 'banking'. I know this sounds mercinary but getting paid for what I do is at the forefront of my experience...:D I had a few years of doing it for the 'experience' but was tired of being poor.

I think he meant from the buyer's perspective. The whole "a highly skilled luthier cut all this wood and assembled it into an ukulele just for me" kind of thing.

"How It's Made" had a segment recently on making a CF Cello. Pretty much it's layering CF cloth in molds, baking it, trimming off the excess and gluing it all together. Not a whole lot of luthiery going down. Skilled labor, but not quite the same as working with wood.

Lovely result nonetheless.

Man i would love to have a CF uke. It would fit my personality to the "T". I love CF.

Top Bottom