while superconcerts exist, are there "miniconcert"s?

I have a mini concert, at least that is what the Luthier called it, it is actually a slightly larger than soprano body with a concert neck.

Have seen a few concert bodies with soprano neck. I think the Ohana Vita Uke falls into that category although they don't call it that.

The Ohana Vita fits in a concert uke case, because of it's large body.
But it has a soprano neck.

edit: Phil beat me to it. Great minds think alike?

Last edited:
I thought this was a joke..... I thought surely a mini-concert was simply a soprano... Is a concert not usually a soprano size body with a longer neck?...

Cheers -F

I thought this was a joke..... I thought surely a mini-concert was simply a soprano... Is a concert not usually a soprano size body with a longer neck?...

Cheers -F
Nope. Concerts are usually larger bodies than sopranos. That's why long-neck sopranos exist.

(I think)

-Kurt

I'm not really sure why you would want that, as it is generally the larger body that produces the Concert sound, and not the size of the neck. A concert with a soprano neck would just limit the amount of frets you could play.

I've had it on my mind to make a "dreadnought ukulele" as in a big-body, deep-body soprano, maybe with around a 14" scale and a 14-fret neck join. I think that'd be darn cool in terms of playability and tone... :)

That has been done. Rob Collins in the UK does it and Ditson had Martin make dreadnaught-shaped ukes.

I own a KoAloha Concert body with a soprano neck. At the time it was the only one. I believe it was made by mistake.

I'm not really sure why you would want that, as it is generally the larger body that produces the Concert sound, and not the size of the neck. A concert with a soprano neck would just limit the amount of frets you could play.
Thats where my head went.

The Ditson Martin uke bodies really aren't much wider than regular soprano Martins... they just have a wider "waist." I'm thinking like a mandolin-size body with a soprano scale but also with a neck join that's farther up... an entirely different beast entirely. To be fair, I haven't seen the Rob Collins uke, though, so I wouldn't know.

I own a KoAloha Concert body with a soprano neck. At the time it was the only one. I believe it was made by mistake.

.....or maybe it was,......FATE,......or D-E-S-T-I-N-Y! :smileybounce:

Top Bottom