PDA

View Full Version : while superconcerts exist, are there "miniconcert"s?

UkeKid32
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
You know, a concert with a soprano neck :D

hungry4adobo
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes there are but, i believe they are like a special order. I saw a MusicGuyMic sample of a koaloha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZuVt2X9h0

Pueo
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a mini concert, at least that is what the Luthier called it, it is actually a slightly larger than soprano body with a concert neck.

PhilUSAFRet
08-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Have seen a few concert bodies with soprano neck. I think the Ohana Vita Uke falls into that category although they don't call it that.

kissing
08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
The Ohana Vita fits in a concert uke case, because of it's large body.
But it has a soprano neck.

edit: Phil beat me to it. Great minds think alike?

Pippin
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
The Ohana Vita-Uke reproduction is a concert-body with a twelve-fret neck.

Foinnse
08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
I thought this was a joke..... I thought surely a mini-concert was simply a soprano... Is a concert not usually a soprano size body with a longer neck?...

Cheers -F

ksiegel
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I thought this was a joke..... I thought surely a mini-concert was simply a soprano... Is a concert not usually a soprano size body with a longer neck?...

Cheers -F
Nope. Concerts are usually larger bodies than sopranos. That's why long-neck sopranos exist.

(I think)

-Kurt

zac987
08-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not really sure why you would want that, as it is generally the larger body that produces the Concert sound, and not the size of the neck. A concert with a soprano neck would just limit the amount of frets you could play.

Jake Wildwood
08-04-2011, 04:42 AM
I've had it on my mind to make a "dreadnought ukulele" as in a big-body, deep-body soprano, maybe with around a 14" scale and a 14-fret neck join. I think that'd be darn cool in terms of playability and tone... :)

Pippin
08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I've had it on my mind to make a "dreadnought ukulele" as in a big-body, deep-body soprano, maybe with around a 14" scale and a 14-fret neck join. I think that'd be darn cool in terms of playability and tone... :)

That has been done. Rob Collins in the UK does it and Ditson had Martin make dreadnaught-shaped ukes.

pithaya9
08-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I own a KoAloha Concert body with a soprano neck. At the time it was the only one. I believe it was made by mistake.

salukulady
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm not really sure why you would want that, as it is generally the larger body that produces the Concert sound, and not the size of the neck. A concert with a soprano neck would just limit the amount of frets you could play.Thats where my head went.

Jake Wildwood
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
The Ditson Martin uke bodies really aren't much wider than regular soprano Martins... they just have a wider "waist." I'm thinking like a mandolin-size body with a soprano scale but also with a neck join that's farther up... an entirely different beast entirely. To be fair, I haven't seen the Rob Collins uke, though, so I wouldn't know.

joejeweler
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I own a KoAloha Concert body with a soprano neck. At the time it was the only one. I believe it was made by mistake.

.....or maybe it was,......FATE,......or D-E-S-T-I-N-Y! :smileybounce: