New Solo Uke Tune - Gerald Ross - California Girls - Tululele!

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Fall is rapidly approaching. Bummer. I love summer time.

I've been playing my Joel Eckhaus Tenor Tululele a lot over the last few weeks. I'm performing at the Sevilla, Spain Ukulele festival in September and I'm bringing the Tulu.

TuluFull.jpg

Here's my tribute to summer. I recorded this yesterday morning. No microphones - just the uke patched into the computer. Re-entrant C tuning. Worth CT strings.

Listen -
California Girls

Last edited:
that was a dandy. how does it compare, feel-wise, to the Talsma tenor?
love that Tele look. sounds terrific too.:rock:

Thanks all.

The tune literally fell into my lap. Saturday morning I was doodling around on the uke bouncing back and forth between a G and D chord and it started to sound like the intro to California Girls (which by the way is the same intro to "Happy Trails"). The intro was easy.

The more difficult part was the chorus (the...I wish they all could be...part). The chords to that part were cleverly written by Brian Wilson. The chords are: G to Am, F to Gm, Eb to Fm and resolves to a G.

This arrangement is a perfect example of my 4th string droning technique. Watch this video for more explanation of this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIWRfY66A0

Feel-wise the Tululele is thinner than the Talsma and has a thinner neck. That's the most noticable difference.

Both instruments have 17" fingerboards and 1.5" nut width.

Last edited:
Very nice and great job on the chord changes in the chorus. Besides your appearance on the Ukulele Safari, can you suggest anywhere else to learn the drone method?

Hi jjsdad,

All I do is constantly hit the 4th string with my right thumb on each quarter note. Occasionally I'll stop to strum a chord. But 90% of the time I just keep hitting that 4th.

Gerald, I previously commented on one of the other forums (maybe Uketalk) and you nail this arrangement like you do all the stuff you play. Such great technique. You da man in my book.

Great music as usual, Gerald. It was fun to see your setup in the video as well. Hope to run into you soon, take care-

Top Bottom