more string stuff

queenslander

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering how often people change thier strings and what is it
that makes them change to new ones, eg sound, worn out, tuning etc.
Cheers Brad

You've mentioned a number of the viable reasons to do so and as far as how often, there is no timetable and it depends on the individual. People who perform may change them after a gig or several gigs. Others may do so every 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. Nothing written in stone as to changing or replacing them.

well if your strings last a year then it might be better to change them. apparently aquilas lose a little volume after a while, although i havent really noticed.. but anyway its been about a year since ive had these aquilas on my luna that came with it and when i went from 1 whole step up back to standard tuning my A string snapped about half an inch from the bridge.. then i checked my other strings and noticed 1 or 2 small "dents" in them. they didnt seem to change the sound but I suppose it was time to change them...
also, a change in strings could also mean a change in sound...
worth browns are mellow and aquilas are bright ;3

I never changed the strings on my first ukulele. They lasted longer than the (now badly broken, waaaah) uke.

Lately, I can't go a month without changing the strings on one of my ukes---it's fun to hear each how each uke sings with different types of strings. All this week, I've been looking forward to a trip to one of my favorite music shops for my first set of D'Addario strings. Tomorrow! Whee!!

All my string-changing has taught me one thing: strings can continue to settle into their sound and feel well after they've stretched and can hold pitch. Having noticed that, I'm starting to change strings less frequently. I have to be pretty curious how a new set will sound or pretty confident that I've worn out a set.

Top Bottom