which g string?

trogxx

Reaction score
Am brand new to both the ukulele (harmonica player) and this site.

Question has probably been asked before and answered to the point of exhaustion but will ask again anyway.

What are the advantage/disadvantages to usuing a high/low g-string tuning? I currently have a Lanikai lu-21 tenor.

Appreciate all assistance.

Trogxx

The advantage to using a LOW G is that you will
gain a few 'extra' notes in the bass area.The only
disadvantage is that you will lose the traditional
'plinky' sound that is associated with ukulele.
Swings and roundabouts really.I go LOW G on
my tenor and Baritone,and high g (re-entrant)
on my sopranos.Matter of personal choice,no more...

Yes it is a matter of personal preference. This is why you will need several ukuleles!!! Some will have the low g others high G!!!!!
(This is the excuse you use to aquire more ukes...works almost everytime!!) lol

As the previous folks mentioned, the biggest difference is personal preference in the sound.

I recently strung my tenor with low G and at first it was a significant difference. The G would almost boom, and suddenly the sound had considerable bottom. My wife commented that it made the 'ukulele have more a "guitar" sound.

The drawback (aside from losing the unique 'ukulele sound) is that you may need to do some adjusting when fingerpicking, since you don't have the traditional re-entrant G.

You can get a single low G string to try it out. I'd suggest you do and keep it on for a couple of weeks to see if you like it.

And, as molokinirum said, this is a great excuse to go out and get another 'ukulele.

I personally think that re-entrant tuning is one of the things that make the uke so special. It gives it its own sound. You can use clawhammer banjo techniques, you can find crazy finger-picking patterns and runs utilizing the major second between the first and fourth strings, and neat-o droney things are in that higher fourth string as well.

The low g does indeed make a uke sound more like a guitar. There are plenty of guitars around.

RE-ENTRANT 4EVA! ;)

Yer Luvin',
-Troy

Top Bottom