Anything I can learn before I get a bass?

Kalimac

Reaction score
Through an unexpected set of circumstances I have the opportunity to learn how to play bass for my church's praise band. I don't yet own a bass, but my pastor's brother has offered to loan me his bass so I can try it out.
I'm just wondering if there is anything I can try to learn before I can actually have the instrument in my hand.

(I'll have around 4 to 6 months of learning before they'll let me try out, and even then it might not work out, but I'll never pass up the opportunity to learn a new instrument.)

Will you be playing straight off sheet music or will there be room for improv? Because if it's the latter, try singing bass parts to yourself when you listen to music. You don't need a bass in your hands to come up with a groovy bass line. :)

-Pete

I imagine you will be playing bass "chords" through looking at the same chords you use to strum ukulele.
There isn't all that much you can do til you actually get the instrument... You could try familiarising yourself with which notes are where on the fret..

but then again, that's a lot easier when you have the bass.

Top Bottom