PDA

View Full Version : how much do you practice x day?

patico
08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
hi UUs

how many hours of practice/study do you normally do each week??

dhoenisch
08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
My practice time is sporadic since I am not home very much at times. My music teacher always tells his students that the minimum should be 15 minutes twice a day for at least 5 days a week. Sometimes, I go home just to sleep, so I can't always follow his schedule (I am learning Mandolin), but I do try to get practice in as much as I can.

Dan

Pippin
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't practice at all.... been playing for over forty years.

janeray1940
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I try to play for a couple of hours every day; in reality it's probably more than that, I don't really time it.

UncleElvis
08-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Minimum of an hour a day, but usually more like two or three on average. Weekends, more like 5 or six.

greenway
08-03-2011, 09:51 AM
It all varies. Sometimes I play for hours straight. Sometimes only a couple of minutes.
I have to juggle between guitar, bass, harmonica, drums, ocarina and ukulele you see. Can't neglect anything!:p

AnnaUK
08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I'd say I play a lot. Several hours a day. Mostly in the evenings after work.

But I don't really practise at all. I'm sorry to say I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to learning and practising, I just sit and jam out to myself.

In my warped world, I suppose "playing" and "practising" are nothing like the same thing :D

roxhum
08-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Ummm the difference between playing and practicing..... I play anywhere from 30 minutes to 2-3 hours a day. Mostly I am playing, which is making me a better player. Actually practice of barr chords or the evil Bb a few minutes here and there, most every day. Using a lesson book, very sporadic. Practicing tabs and playing melodies sporadically, at least three times a week, sometimes daily for 15 minutes or so. My first objective is to have fun. My second is to improve but without any pressure or deadlines, I have enough of that at work.

RawrGazzawrs
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I play until i get frustrated...
or until i feel like ive been sitting down too long :3

deadpool
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I get in a couple of hours a day along with about an hour of guitar and sometimes an hour or so of mandolin. Being fairly new to the ukulele, I have been putting in more time on it. Once the "newness" wears off I suspect I'll even out the guitar and the uke for playing time. Not sure where I am headed on the mando right now.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I play "for fun" for an hour or two each day, usually not all at once.

For "serious" practice, I try to work on new material (and requisite new abilities) for an hour or so. In a good week, I'll have about five serious practice sessions mixed in with all that play, but most weeks I end up with two or three.

Of course, I have lots of fun during "practice", and I'm getting practice when I "play". Whee, ukulele!

Dan Uke
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
It's great to see that Jane & Uncle play more than an hour a day but more like 3 to 4!! I average about 2 hours a day but that's because I just started. Once I get half good, I'll play 3 to 4!!! Only wishful thinking having two kids under 7...

ItsMrPitchy
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I practice for half hour to an hour a day. Then i play for about the same.

Jnobianchi
08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I tend to run through several tunes that I know and I'm trying to keep in shape for about 30-40 minutes a day. Then I work on new tunes for about another half-hour to an hour. Since every new tune I learn tends to need an arrangement, I generally am creating those as I work on learning the new tunes. So maybe 90 minutes a day, nearly every day of the week, but I miss one now and then when traveling or working.

TCK
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I really practice about 1/2 a day (meaning working on a new skill), but I play all day long (often working on fingerpicking melodies I knew really well- I would say equal to two hours a day), whenever the mood strikes. So far I have not missed a day yet.

Uke Whisperer
08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Usually 2 or 3 times a day for 2 hours each (sometimes a little more). Includes playing and "formalized" practice.

rem50
I need to practice. I just play songs about 1-2 hours a night. I have to get disciplined to learn new things.

Foinnse
Not sure how long I spend practising. I probably spend 1-2 hours playing per day. Its generally in reach so I play a bit whenever the urge grabs me. I'm not really much good for actually practising skills etc., I generally just play through the songs I know, old and new. I guess you could specify between practising and just playing but it seems to me that its pretty much the same thing..... I improve through playing and singing songs I know, and learning new ones, so it seems to me its the same thing.

Cheers -F

uker62
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Most days, two hours of scales, progressions, strumming and picking practice, followed by 1-2 hours of "playing". One day a week off. One day of about 5 hours playing music for my wife's art group at a studio. One to two jam sessions per week, 2-3 hours. Nice to be retired.

patico
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
me too... like 2-3 hrs/day with some strings on my hands. usually uku, uke or guitar.

i'd say that there's no difference (my opinion) in playing/practising skills, everything you play is very valuable. even if it's a 2 chord song. it helps in ways we are not eve aware of... ex defining your style, smoothing changes, n so.
so let's keep ukeing all day long !!

elisdad
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I practice for 2.5 hours a day. On the weekends I can typically work in an hour or more extra.

pulelehua
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
One 3 year-old son. One 1 year-old daughter. During term time, I get two 75-minute club sessions a week in school. Which, I suppose by the current discussion, is playing. Out of term time, it's tough. I'm trying for 15-minutes a day of genuine practice. So far, so good...

ADD
08-03-2011, 08:48 PM
That's what I need to do, but find myself spending more time here than practicing.

humuhumunukunukuapuaa
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
It really is difficult to dedicate a set amount of time when you have young children. I have a 5-year old and a 17-month old, both boys, and they command a lot of my time before and after work. 20 years ago, when I first started playing the guitar, I was able to devote 5 or 6 hours a day towards playing and practicing; maybe 8 hours on the weekends. I kept that up for years and I sure do wish I still had that luxury. With that said, my wife keeps the kids at bay for an hour because she knows how serious I am about wanting to practice. I've also been putting an hour in during my lunch break at work. I've only been playing for less than a month, and I'm in a bit of a hurry to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. The musician's life was so much easier as a teenager. What I'd give to go back in time and learn the ukulele instead of the guitar. LOL.

Mandarb
08-04-2011, 03:08 AM
I love these type of threads. I am glad you posted it - I was thinking about starting the same type of thread.

There is always the question of practice vs. playing. To me practice means a more "formalized" time with the uke working on scales, technique, smooth chord changes, etc. A lot of that can be developed by just playing. Playing to me means songs or just jamming through whatever chord progression strikes your fancy.

The other element that I find interesting about this type of thread has also been mentioned - finding the time to sit down and practice and/or play. Sometimes it is tough (at least for me) working a full-time job, having a family, spending time as a volunteer fire fighter, etc.

All that being said - my answer to the original question is I try to practice/play an hour or two a day. Sometimes I miss a day or two because I am too tired or life just gets in the way with various commitments and obligations.

UncleElvis
08-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Oh...

Then I NEVER practice. *grin* I SUCK at scales and REALLY need to buckle down and work on them. It's terrible.

But I PLAY for hours and hours a day.

I think the difference is motivation and aspirations.
I've had this conversation on the PoHo thread before...
I'm not terribly interested in becoming the greatest player in the world. I know that I will never be. I don't have the drive to do so, nor the talent, nor the interest.
What I want and use the ukulele for is as a vehicle to entertain. My joy is performing and entertaining. I love to sing, but I'm not the best singer in the world. But what I love... what I TRULY love in life, is looking out and seeing someone's smile at something I'm doing or saying or singing or playing; looking out and seeing someone singing along, or trying to, as I fake my way through a song; seeing the look of "OMG! I REMEMBER THIS SONG!" when I play some obscure thing from my childhood; the applause at the end, ESPECIALLY when it's a cold room that wasn't paying attention before (another reason I love the ukulele - it wasn't a reason I started on it, but it's an amazing byproduct! - is that, because it's not a "normal" instrument... it's pretty unexpected, really... there is an automatic level of interest from the audience, simply because it's NOT a guitar!)...
The ukulele allows me to do this on my own, whenever I want, without having to rely on anyone else.

So that's why I play, what I do, and what I "practice". At the moment, I'm working on learning songs and, in the process, work on dynamics - both in timing and volume, levels of strumming, etc. -, energy and "making the song my own", as they say on Idol.

Fingerpicking isn't something I'll ever be any good at, but I hope one day to be entertaining as hell! *grin*

So... if the OP doesn't mind... if so, I'll create a new thread...

What do YOU want out of the ukulele? What are your motivations and aspirations with this wonderful, happy, joyous little instrument?

70sSanO
08-04-2011, 04:36 AM
This is a tough question. I've played guitar for 45 years, and uke for 4-1/2 years, but I still consider myself a hack. Right now in my life the ukulele is so enjoyable and just relaxing that I am not interested in practicing scales, etc. I just like playing.

Since last December I have started to learn instrumentals, (Blue Roses, Going to California, etc.), and I have about a half a dozen "decent" ones. If I am working on a new one, I'll spend hours figuring it out. So during that time it may be 2 or 3 hours a day. The fallout is that, unlike when I was 20 and could remember everything, I slip a little on the others I already know, so I tend to spend about an hour or so a night going through all of them and polishing everything up (riffs) and making some tweeks to smooth things out.

By playing instrumentals, what has suffered are my chords, not that I can't play them, but I have a tough time remembering the ones up the fretboard (C on the 7th fret, etc. stuff) and the diminshed augmented, etc. If I play out, I go back and try to get re-acquainted with them.

And then there are days when I'll spend a half and hour or so just noodling which inevitably ends up with some blues.

John

bbqribs
08-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Not enough. You guys put me to shame. Right now, maybe 15 minutes a day. I feel like I can practice, and not just play at this point.

Dan Uke
08-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I would practice much more if I didn't spend so much time on UU!!! Actually, it's not true because I look at this site mostly at work so I wouldn't be able to practice either way. I guess it isn't that bad to have a desk job. lol

janeray1940
08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Oh...

Then I NEVER practice. *grin* I SUCK at scales and REALLY need to buckle down and work on them. It's terrible.

That makes two of us then :)

Although I have to say I don't really see too much difference between "practicing" and "playing," especially since we all have different learning styles. In my case, this is why I suck at things like scales - I need *context* in order to process information optimally. So, just memorizing a bunch of scales really doesn't do much for me. BUT, by learning a new song and seeing how, for instance, it's built on an F scale, works.

janeray1940
08-04-2011, 06:14 AM
I look at this site mostly at work so I wouldn't be able to practice either way. I guess it isn't that bad to have a desk job. lol

Same here. Although I could get away with keeping a uke at my desk and messing around with it throughout the day, I don't do it because the temptation would be far too great!

Mel Ott
08-04-2011, 06:25 AM
hi UUs

how many hours of practice/study do you normally do each week??

Less than I'd like!

I try to get in at least an hour or two most nights, so probably around 10 hours a week.

08-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I play until my mom tells me I need to start applying to colleges/doing summer homework. It varies, but usually I get at least an hour of play time in.

UncleElvis
08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
That makes two of us then :)

Although I have to say I don't really see too much difference between "practicing" and "playing," especially since we all have different learning styles. In my case, this is why I suck at things like scales - I need *context* in order to process information optimally. So, just memorizing a bunch of scales really doesn't do much for me. BUT, by learning a new song and seeing how, for instance, it's built on an F scale, works.

Please to get out of my head, please!

That's exactly how my brain works, too!