Looking for another chord name!.... 0234

gromit77

Reaction score
Hi

You guys were so useful a few days ago I thought I'd try you again! ;)

Looking for the name of this chord 0234

A4
E3
C2
G0

I thought it would be quite simple but I can't find it in my chord book or online.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Neil

if you leave the a-string open it makes a Gsus2(0230) but i dont think 0234 is a chord. It has a harsh sound to it.

Hi

You could be right, truth is i'm using it as a kind of transition chord between a G major and B major, it sounds perfect for the song.

C# would be the #4 of G, or the #9 of B - never seen any of those configurations before. However, C# is in the key of B so perhaps that's why it works (I'm pretty new to this so I could be just totally making stuff up) - It sounds a little harsh on its own but I admit it sounds nice in that transition.

In the key of D major, it is a chord of G (IV) with a suspended 4th and it resolves to a regular chord of G. If you play "Fairytale of New York" in D, it is the second chord used on the words "drunk tank". The notes in the chord are G, C sharp and D. the C sharp is the suspended 4th and it resolves to a B.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes it sounds ok, I'm working on the Crowded House song "People are Like suns" and that phrase is sang in the chorus and the guitar transcriptions online have it G to B like below

G..................B
People are like suns

But i've added the extra chord over the word LIKE , for a bit of colour

G.............??..B...
People are like suns

I think it works, but it's probably unnecessary, i'll probably just leave it off the finished transcript I upload to the web and just keep it to myself lol

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
In the key of D major, it is a chord of G (IV) with a suspended 4th and it resolves to a regular chord of G. If you play "Fairytale of New York" in D, it is the second chord used on the words "drunk tank". The notes in the chord are G, C sharp and D. the C sharp is the suspended 4th and it resolves to a B.

Hope that makes sense.

Erm.....lol

Bit too technical for me, I don't really know music theory, does the chord have a name then?

Thanks

I've got a song called "Held Prisoner" (video link below) that uses a chord progression starting with 0234. There's a lot of names you could give that chord, but there's nothing simple that fits it. Here's what I wrote in the "Bizarre Chords" thread on the "Tips, Tricks, & Techniques" board:

I've also got a song I wrote called "Held Prisoner" that starts with a chord I stumbled onto one day while strumming. It's easy enough to play, but I can't figure out what it should be called. It's just a D, G, and C#. It has a sort of suspended sound, and I go from that chord to a Dm7. Maybe it's a Dsus4maj7(no5).

A: 4th fret
E: 3rd fret
C: 2nd fret
G: open

Held Prisoner

The notes in the chord are G, C sharp and D. the C sharp is the suspended 4th and it resolves to a B.
Hope that makes sense.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Gsus4 is GCD. C is the perfect fourth of G and C# is the diminished 5th. if the song was in the key of Ab... an argument could be made that is chord is Gdim (G Bb Db), however, that doesn't account for the D note. there's not D in the key of Ab.

in my experience, though that doesn't mean much, if 2 notes are right next to each other it is best to assume the lower note is the Major 7th of the higher... ie if D is the root then C# is the Major seventh. the best i could come up with is DMaj7add11 (D F# A C# G... with no 3rd or 5th) where G is the 11th. though this doesn't quit fit into the key of G either. a more appropriate chord for the key of G is D7add11 (dominant 7th D F# A C G) but then that would make the chord a Gsus4 ;) . DMaj7add11 does work in the key of D but then the B would be Bminor..... but i guess that's why it's called "Theory". breaking the key is fun ;)

Since 0234 is G D G C#, you've doubled up the G notes. see how 0254 (G D A C#) sounds. this would be a DMaj7add11 with no 3rd.

either way my vote is for DMaj7add11 :p lol

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Gsus4 is GCD. C is the perfect fourth of G and C# is the diminished 5th. if the song was in the key of Ab... an argument could be made that is chord is Gdim (G Bb Db), however, that doesn't account for the D note. there's not D in the key of Ab.

in my experience, though that doesn't mean much, if 2 notes are right next to each other it is best to assume the lower note is the Major 7th of the higher... ie if D is the root then C# is the Major seventh. the best i could come up with is DMaj7add11 (D F# A C# G... with no 3rd or 5th) where G is the 11th. though this doesn't quit fit into the key of G either. a more appropriate chord for the key of G is D7add11 (dominant 7th D F# A C G) but then that would make the chord a Gsus4 ;) . DMaj7add11 does work in the key of D but then the B would be Bminor..... but i guess that's why it's called "Theory". breaking the key is fun ;)

Since 0234 is G D G C#, you've doubled up the G notes. see how 0254 (G D A C#) sounds. this would be a DMaj7add11 with no 3rd.

either way my vote is for DMaj7add11 :p lol

I was not talking about a sus4 chord. That is something different. I was just pointing out the most common way that those particular notes are used in music.

I was not talking about a sus4 chord. That is something different. I was just pointing out the most common way that those particular notes are used in music.

my apologies. perhaps i wasn't being clear. my question to you is, and correct me if i'm wrong, but you said that C# was the suspended fourth of G. is C# not the diminished fifth of G? and would the suspended fourth of G not be C? and does suspended fourth not automatically refer to a chord type? if we're talking about intervals wouldn't it be perfect fourth?

i'm asking because i honestly don't know. no disrespect intended.

my apologies. perhaps i wasn't being clear. my question to you is, and correct me if i'm wrong, but you said that C# was the suspended fourth of G. is C# not the diminished fifth of G? and would the suspended fourth of G not be C? and does suspended fourth not automatically refer to a chord type? if we're talking about intervals wouldn't it be perfect fourth?

i'm asking because i honestly don't know. no disrespect intended.

No problem. It is tricky to explain.

Let's work in the key of C. The chord of C in the key of C can have a suspended 4th. This is a perfect 4th from the root note (C). It is written as Csus4. However, the chord of F in the key of C can also have a suspended 4th, but it will not sound the same. It creates an augmented 4th. The note in the melody part is B. this would normally resolve onto the note A. It is used in lots of songs e.g. the second chord in the song "Imagine" on the word "Heaven". This chord might be written as F#4 or Fsus#4. More often than not though, the chord is just written as F.

Listen to Imagine. You'll hear it.

That's Gsus4, better known as "gromit's chord".

No, it's not. Gsus4 contains the notes G, C, and D. This chord is G, C#, and D.

Whatever you call it, it has its uses. In my song, the chord progression is: [Mystery chord] Dm7 Gm7 Dm

Last edited:
Thanks for that link, very useful, now I don't have to bother you guys! although I have to say I like the chord naming after me business!

Cheers

Well, we probably should really named it uke4ia, since he apparently used it first, but gromit just has a nice ring to it. :)

Top Bottom